A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 158836 times)

Offline zoe

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #420 on: May 19, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »
It was delish! I have gone back to using  either Stanislaus 7/11 or food milling whole canned tomatoes made by Stanislaus.. https://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#Alta

THANK YOU Nepa Bill. We are trying again tonight. Would you be so kind as to provide the recipe for your sauce? Do you use anything besides salt and pepper?

Offline Gilda

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #421 on: May 30, 2019, 01:31:29 PM »
Steel_baker I cannot find your ingrediants recipe for VP pizza here. Can you post them for us.  Great Utube video by the way.

Tom

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #422 on: June 11, 2019, 12:51:21 PM »
Great local article about Fried Sicilian style pizza, and how popular it has become in my area (Luzerne County in Pennsylvania)..  http://www.nepapizzareview.com/2019/06/best-pan-fried-sicilian-pizzas-NEPA-Luzerne.html?m=0&fbclid=IwAR1t2ZlIxFJB1WOLhtNF52maK9p0SybVnJjR652tYuGnmb7fvqrJ-ZK9kak 

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #423 on: August 20, 2019, 10:17:07 AM »
I have had numerous requests for sources for the blue steel pizza pans I use. They have become very hard to get as PA products doesn't seem to be making them anymore. I had an ad from this company pop up today. Detroit style pans would definitely work well for Victory Pig style pizza. Anyone looking for pans, check these guys out:

https://lloydpans.com/pizza-tools/regional-style-pizza-pans/detroit-style-pizza-pans?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItuDtz9CR5AIVwQw_Ch3Qdw8HEAEYASAAEgKAM_D_BwE
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline patonj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #424 on: January 05, 2020, 01:25:00 PM »
When I first saw your original post on the Victory Pig Pizza, I looked for the right pan. I got the 17" Loyd pan and have since bought their Detroit pizza pan and their grandma sicilian size pan too. They all work perfectly. I made the victory pig pizza again last night and it was awesome as always. I just wanted to thank you for submitting this recipe. It is my wife's favorite pizza and mine too.

Offline tussin

« Reply #425 on: January 12, 2020, 10:42:02 AM »
Last night's bake -- delicious as always.  Surprised this style hasn't caught on nationally, it's a can't miss business IMO.

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #426 on: January 12, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »
It's cousin "Detroit Style" is just catching on all around the country..  Detroit crust is basically the same thing as VP style..  They just top it a bit differently..  I do prefer the VP style the best, even though VP is not my favorite place making this style..  I live in the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area..  The fried Sicilian is really taking off, especially in Luzerne County..  You should check out NEPAPIZZAREVIEW.COM..  Jim who runs that site, and loves this style of pizza did numerous articles on it.. 
https://www.nepapizzareview.com/2019/06/best-pan-fried-sicilian-pizzas-NEPA-Luzerne.html

Offline tussin

« Reply #427 on: January 13, 2020, 08:44:23 PM »
SB -- Have you tried freezing VP pizza at all?  Any ideas how to modify the recipe to accomplish that?

Offline communist

« Reply #428 on: January 13, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »
Love VP Pizza.  Visit there once a year.  Made it at home for Christmas dinner using Steelbakers recipe.  A big hit.  VP does sell frozen pizza.  It falls short of fresh pizza.  Disappointing.  A few other locally famous pizza shops have tried the frozen route.  ( Sabatini's in Exeter was really good 30 years ago.  They marketed frozen pizza for a while 20 years ago, then it failed )

Offline matermark

« Reply #429 on: January 13, 2020, 10:11:16 PM »
Love VP Pizza.  Visit there once a year.  Made it at home for Christmas dinner using Steelbakers recipe.  A big hit.  VP does sell frozen pizza.  It falls short of fresh pizza.  Disappointing.  A few other locally famous pizza shops have tried the frozen route.  ( Sabatini's in Exeter was really good 30 years ago.  They marketed frozen pizza for a while 20 years ago, then it failed )
I haven't been out that way since 2013, both my parents' families are from Duryea, and Duryea had Gabello's on the edge of town on Main Street, then came Augustini's/Augustino's Bakery, then Old Forge with Revello's, Ghigiarelli's, and  Arcaro & Genell's--the last 3 literally across the street from each other. Victory Pig wasn't exactly a 15 minute ride, especially with Main St's speed limit in many of those boroughs only 15 MPH.

My hippie cousin still lives in my dad's homestead and I rented or maintained my mom's homestead until the neighbor called and said water's coming out my front door; my cousin was supposed to spend some time there every week when I was back here in Buffalo. He's the one back in the '80's who said let's go to this BBQ & pizza place that brings the food right out to your car! I said, "A & W sells pizza now?" as we used to stop at one off Rt.17 or I-81 in NY when my father used to take us to NEPA thru the back roads.

The last pizza I had out there was from Sizzle-Pi in Kingston in '13, and it was hard to tell if it was VP style or Old Forge style, maybe in-between, but it did't use any American cheese like I think Revello's uses. I brought back 3 trays!

Back in the '80's or '90's I think it was, there was an Italian restaurant that was near West Pittston/Exeter border, before you got to Pizza Lov'n. I can't think of the name but there was a bank on the corner and the restaurant was next to the bank and you'd turn down the side street and pull in behind the bank & go to the restaurant's back door for takeouts. I thought their pizza was similar too, and one weeknight it was cheaper...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:21:11 PM by matermark »

Offline tussin

« Reply #430 on: January 20, 2020, 08:15:51 PM »
Broccoli from this weekend.  No sauce, but I think the places back home use some sort of white sauce.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #431 on: January 20, 2020, 08:19:11 PM »
That dough/crust looks good as hell.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jrod738776

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #432 on: February 11, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »
Last night's bake -- delicious as always.  Surprised this style hasn't caught on nationally, it's a can't miss business IMO.

Is this made with one of the recipe's in this thread? I've been reading through it all and just wondering what people had settled on recipe wise.