A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 164913 times)

Offline Joe_C

Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #440 on: April 14, 2020, 09:24:28 AM »
question for anyone who's been there and might know. I see you can order online and have it shipped. There's an option for no onions, are they talking about the sauce? I saw people here commenting on the sauce having onions in it.

For some incomprehensible reason, some folks like to order "no onions".   :o  But yes, it's the same pizza, same sauce, just without the onion. 

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #441 on: April 14, 2020, 10:29:57 AM »
question for anyone who's been there and might know. I see you can order online and have it shipped. There's an option for no onions, are they talking about the sauce? I saw people here commenting on the sauce having onions in it.

The way they top a tray is 1)kosher salt, 2) canned crushed tomatoes, 3) paper thin sliced onions, and 4) cheese. They slice their onions paper thin on a meat slicer and layer them on top of the sauce. They have always offered the option for no onions since not everybody wants them.
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline Joe_C

« Reply #442 on: May 08, 2020, 12:17:34 PM »
Hey Steel Baker, here's a question for ya:  When I make dough for two trays, I have been simply doubling all the ingredients.  But I have a sense that doubling the amount of yeast may be too much.   (I recently saw a "Italian Grandma" bread making video on YouTube where she uses one packet of dry yeast for 5 pounds of flour??!!)  What do you think?  Is doubling the yeast for our VP recipe OK or too much? 

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #443 on: May 08, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »
Hey Steel Baker, here's a question for ya:  When I make dough for two trays, I have been simply doubling all the ingredients.  But I have a sense that doubling the amount of yeast may be too much.   (I recently saw a "Italian Grandma" bread making video on YouTube where she uses one packet of dry yeast for 5 pounds of flour??!!)  What do you think?  Is doubling the yeast for our VP recipe OK or too much?

I've done this before and I would suggest increasing the yeast by 50-60% rather than doubling it.

Offline dfanella

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #444 on: June 15, 2020, 01:05:33 PM »
How do you bake it so the Pizza dough cooks thoroughly before the cheese startes to burn?  Do you put it in the oven with out the cheese and sauce first?

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #445 on: June 15, 2020, 01:45:27 PM »
How do you bake it so the Pizza dough cooks thoroughly before the cheese startes to burn?  Do you put it in the oven with out the cheese and sauce first?

When I lived in PA, I was able to bake it with the sauce & cheese on it. Here in Colorado, I have to bake it first with just sauce then pull it out and put the cheese on. Back in for another 5-7 minutes.

Offline zoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #446 on: August 05, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »
PLEASE HELP! I had made this many times without a problem. Then my last 3, made over the last week, have all stuck to the bottom so badly that I need to soak and scrub for 30 minutes. Any idea what is happening? It has been rainy and humid here in Florida, could this be the reason? I saw that some other recipes rub the pan with butter before the oil. Has anyone tried this. I am so frustrated.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #447 on: August 05, 2020, 12:47:21 PM »
After the 3 previous bakes, did you empty any excess oil? I don't usually have much oil left after I bake a tray of pizza and I usually throughly wipe the inside of the pan with a paper towel leaving only a slight film. The next thing I would try is more oil and make sure that the oil is well spread in the pan before putting the raw dough in & spreading it. I've encountered this problem before and more oil usually fixes it AFTER I've made sure that any sticky spots on the pan are removed. No soap! Just hot water & a stiff brush to remove any sticky areas. You don't want to remove any existing seasoning, just add more as necessary.

Offline zoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #448 on: August 05, 2020, 01:09:10 PM »
 Hi SB!

Thanks for the quick response. My pans are perfectly clean. I added the desired oil. I am  going to try one now with the ghee, shmeared all over, and then the oil.  I cannot have another night when we have to make a second dinner because of sticking. Tomorrow, I will try with a bit more oil. Fingers crossed.

Many thanks again! Zoe

P.S. You are the best. It gives me strength to try again knowing that you are out there. ;-)

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #449 on: August 05, 2020, 03:09:27 PM »
PLEASE HELP! I had made this many times without a problem. Then my last 3, made over the last week, have all stuck to the bottom so badly that I need to soak and scrub for 30 minutes. Any idea what is happening? It has been rainy and humid here in Florida, could this be the reason? I saw that some other recipes rub the pan with butter before the oil. Has anyone tried this. I am so frustrated.
Zoe, what pans are you using?

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #450 on: August 05, 2020, 07:30:36 PM »
Zoe,

Seasoned pans and ghee solved the problem for me.

Alex

Offline zoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2020, 09:58:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all of your help! I am using Lloyds pan. However, a thin layer of ghee and then .75 ounce of peanut oil did the trick!  As well, my son remarked about the buttery taste of the crust! 

I think it was just the summer heat and humidity. It gets to 80 F in the house and the bottom of the crust had tons of tiny bubbles that stuck. Or it could be something else...as we all know yeast has a mind of its own!

Many thanks again,

Zoe

Offline zoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2020, 10:01:58 PM »
By the way, is there anyone out there who has tried the victory pig-knock  pizza at Cosmos on Oak in Scranton? I am in Florida, so I have not been, but their reviews look amazing.

Offline Joe_C

« Reply #453 on: September 29, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »
Exciting news for Western Pennsylvania!  There's a new pizza shop in New Castle featuring VP-style pizza.  It's only about an hour's drive from Pittsburgh so I'm planning to make a visit soon.  Check out their website.  Looks delicious!  www.turcospizza.com

--Joe C.