A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Semolina thin crust pizzas  (Read 2502 times)

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
Semolina thin crust pizzas
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:39:38 PM »
This morning I made enough dough for 5 12-14" thin crusts pizzas using the AP/Semolina formulation in Reply 4 of this topic by BTB: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6605.0.html
I didn't use any dry milk, as I didn't think it would be necessary, and I didn't have any.

I used the 30 minute rest period and the addition of the remainder of the flour, I separated the dough and let it rise in a covered plastic cake taker, which was very handy. I punched it down and reballed 3 times before forming and rolling the crusts. The smell was very good before parbaking.  8)

I accidentally burned one pie crust, but such is life.  :-[ The other two turned out perfect, and I think this will be my go-to whenever I have semolina handy. I have two crusts left over that are in the fridge for tomorrow night.

I used a sweet-ish sauce based on some of the variations of Aurelio's and Palermo's (Chicago) that my parents and in-laws liked a lot, and my wife really liked. So I think I'll stick with that style for these pizzas.  :pizza:
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

Offline BTB

Re: Semolina thin crust pizzas
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:32:36 AM »
Good to hear that you tried this recipe out.  What I like about it -- when I do it right -- is that sense and sound of the "crunch" when cutting the pizza with the pizza wheel telling me it's going to be a nice crispy and tender crust.  I've vacillated between using 20 and 25% semolina in the flour blend and also by reducing the oil about 2%.  The NFDM is hard to find and not that critical.  But I still have that large bag from Bob's Red Mill and I feel obliged to use it from time to time.  Also I tend to use KA's bread flour with this, but AP works well, too.

Did you bake this with that BGE of yours?  That cooks at a much higher temperature than the normal home oven.

--BTB

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
Re: Semolina thin crust pizzas
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »
I'll try bread flour next time. I agree about reducing the oil.

I just got a new pizza stone for the egg, so I haven't used it to make anything yet. I prefer NY or Neapolitan in the egg. It does a great job of replicating a wood fired pizza oven when it's properly heated.  :chef:

EDIT:

I made the two leftover dough balls tonight. They were in the fridge overnight, and then I took them out an hour before cooking. When I opened the plastic bags to re-ball and roll them out, they had a great smell. Very beer-like. I par-baked like the other ones, and they turned out awesome. The wife commented again how good they were, so this recipe is definitely a winner for my household.

Thanks again for the original posts BTB.  :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:48:43 PM by vr6Dad »
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress