A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Varasano method  (Read 5983 times)

Offline forzaroma

Varasano method
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
Hey guys tried a new dough method using jeff varasano's method from http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm a couple question I had for those who know his method oh and i plan on using my oven in clean cycle since I got the stone up to 800 yesterday.

According to him these are the bakers % needed: Ingredient  
Filtered Water                                                     65.50%                    
King Arthur Bread flour, or Caputo Pizzeria flour         100.00%                  
Kosher or Sea Salt                                                3.50%                      
Sourdough yeast culture (as a battery poolish)         9.00%                      
Instant Dry yeast - Optional                                   0.25%                      

So I went ahead and used the dough calculator tool with preferment and this is what I got:

Total formula  For 6 balls at 11oz each
Flour (100%) 1122.1g/39.58 0z
Water (63%) 706.92/24.94 oz
salt (3.5%)   39.27g/1.39 oz
IDY (0.25%)  2.81 g/0.1 oz
Total            1871g/66oz
Single Ball 311.85g/11oz

Preferment- I used 50% flour 50% water and he says use 9% which this is how it breaks down:
Flour 84.2g/2.97 oz
water 84.2g/2.97 oz
Total 168.4g/5.94 oz

Final Dough

Flour  1037.9g/36.61 0z
Water  622.72/21.97 oz
salt   39.27g/1.39 oz
IDY  2.81 g/0.1 oz
Preferment 168.4g/5.94 oz
Total            1871.1g/66oz

First thing I ended up with 5 11 ounce balls and 6.2 ounces left over so i was about 5 ounces short and I have no idea why.
Second I found this super wet after I finished his whole process. I followed this to a T. I poured out dough at the end on a floured surface and went to make the balls and was super sticky even sticking to my hands.

I am scared maybe I did something wrong with the preferment, i hope this dough is workable by sat.

Mike

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Varasano method
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »
If a 63% dough was that sticky, my guess is a measuring error. From time to time, my scale takes a false tare. Now I either check the tare (I know what my bowls weigh), or I repeat the measurement with a second (different) scale.

Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:27:36 PM »
I tend to agree with Craig, with the likelihood that the flour was mismeasured if the dough was as sticky as you mentioned. I thought also that your final dough weight was off because you didn't use a mixer residue (which I call bowl residue compensation) that Jeff provides for in his spreadsheet. However, the difference in final weight seems to be too high to blame entirely on not using the mixer residue.

Pete

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:31:09 PM »
So possibly a scale mistake hmmm any way to fix this now?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 10:42:56 PM »
Without knowing what the source of the error was, assuming there was an error, there is no way to know what to fix. So, I think I would just go with the five dough balls.

Peter

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
 Pretty sure it's wet cause scale or myself mis measured flour. I don't mind the 5 balls I just hope I can work with them as they are wet

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »
I am wondering if the 63% hydration is too high with caputo 00?

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:31 AM »
No, probably not.  I have cooked the FB 'Perfect dough by weight' recipe dozens of times and it uses a 65% hydration ratio.  http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizza_dough.html  I cook at a high temp also and it does fine.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
Yeah I probably just made a measuring mistake by like 4-5 ounces on the flour measurment. I dont know who to blame me or the scale lol.

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 11:03:19 PM »
Did you ever make pizzas with this?How did you fix the problems?
-Bill

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:45:36 AM »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
ive made standard pizza dough with 74% hydration by water, and 6% by oil and i had no problems handling it.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »
ive made standard pizza dough with 74% hydration by water, and 6% by oil and i had no problems handling it.

c0mpl3x,

Did you do any stretch and folds or the like, and did you ferment the dough for a long time, either at room temperature or in the refrigerator? And did you use a lot of bench flour? Also, you are a very experienced pizza maker. For a straight dough, I would say that there are not a lot of people who can handle a dough with 74% hydration and 6% oil.

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »
c0mpl3x,

Did you do any stretch and folds or the like, and did you ferment the dough for a long time, either at room temperature or in the refrigerator? And did you use a lot of bench flour? Also, you are a very experienced pizza maker. For a straight dough, I would say that there are not a lot of people who can handle a dough with 74% hydration and 6% oil.

Peter

it was a same day dough, 1.4% yeast i think.  normal SCBF, no gluten added.  total of 3 stretch and folds in two hours i think.  it was a room temp rise in a 5 hour window i think.   bench flour was a blend of 50/50 BRMWW/walmartAP, im REALLY impressed with the way a stone ground wheat flour handles.    you need less to 'de-stick' wet doughs, and the coarse wheat grindings give it a cornmeal 'ball bearing' sort of movement when stretching.

in short, it takes me about 15-20 seconds to stretch a skin, hydration regardless, (at home i take my time due to making a mess)  but i can stretch/slap one in about 10-12 if im in a rush.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Pizza01

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 07:55:06 AM »
could someone please post what is the cleaning cycel mode? how could i know i have it my oven?
forzaroma i hope you dont mind.

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:04 AM »
On your home oven I think on most modern ovens there is a button that says cleaning cycle. This turns your oven on to really high heat to clean your oven burning every crumb and bit of food that is on the bottom of the oven. The catch is the oven locks the door so you cant open it unless you cut the lock.

Pizza01

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 05:31:20 PM »
i will look for it but ithink i i never saw it in israel in any oven.

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »
i will look for it but ithink i i never saw it in israel in any oven.

If you had it,you have to be very careful making pizzas in there at them temps.If you have a glass window in the door,a drop of sauce can shatter and bust/destroy the glass.

Varasano's talked about this.Had to put some aluminum foil inside to help redirect the heat as well.

My oven doesn't have a self cleaning cycle either,but its always good to have some fire extinguishers on stand by,in case of fire.The cleaning cycle can get as hot as 900 degrees F.

-Bill

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 01:17:50 AM »
For reference Jeff had his ovens set at 365C = 700F when I was there.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 06:53:33 AM »
My memory may be wrong Pizza01 but I thought you had a gas oven.
Don

could someone please post what is the cleaning cycel mode? how could i know i have it my oven?
forzaroma i hope you dont mind.

wordpress