Author Topic: Anyone using a Ankarsrum mixer?  (Read 313 times)

Offline StateofMind

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone using a Ankarsrum mixer?
« on: November 16, 2016, 12:37:40 AM »
Anyone using one of these? After breaking a few KA mixers I bought a ankarsrum mixer on a friends recommendation. While I haven't broken it yet I do feel like my dough has been inconsistent with it. I have a hard time developing what I think to be sufficient gluten level while keeping the finished dough cold enough. I would love some work flow advice from anyone else using this mixer? I'm seriously considering going back to a KA or something similar.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
Re: Anyone using a Ankarsrum mixer?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:05:38 AM »
They were sort-of popular on TheFreshLoaf (for bread); this looks like one of the better posts: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/comment/319573#comment-319573
In grams we trust.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:15:13 AM »
Which mixing attachment are you using?
Tom Lehmnann/The Dough Doctor

Offline StateofMind

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:17:22 AM »
They were sort-of popular on TheFreshLoaf (for bread); this looks like one of the better posts: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/comment/319573#comment-319573
Thanks for the link. It sounds like there are other people perplexed by this machine as well. I may just try a really long mixing time next time around. Though I have done up to 24 minutes mixes and still felt the dough was under developed.

Offline StateofMind

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:18:35 AM »
Which mixing attachment are you using?
Tom Lehmnann/The Dough Doctor
I almost exclusively use the roller attachment. My dough is in the 61-66% hydration range and the couple times I have used the hook attachment I haven't been impressed.

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
Anyone using a Ankarsrum mixer?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 05:54:30 AM »
I have used one extensively for bread and I, well, I don't hate it, but I am not a fan. It is next to impossible for me to dial in things like friction factor and mix time.

Offline StateofMind

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
I have used one extensively for bread and I, well, I don't hate it, but I am not a fan. It is next to impossible for me to dial in things like friction factor and mix time.
I'm glad to hear it's not just my skills regressing and that it's a difficult mixer to figure out.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 02:24:06 PM »
I've only been exposed to it one time and I wasn't impressed. The "hook" if you can call it that, in my personal opinion, is useless, and the roller mixing attachment looks like it wants to provide spiral mixer type of mixing action but it just doesn't seem to work the dough very well or uniformly. If that machine had a rotating spiral design hook it would work a whole lot more like a spiral mixer and probably work quite well.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
A contrary voice here.  I use mine for pizza dough, and bread dough all the time, and I much prefer it over a KitchenAid, a Bosch Universal, A Bosch Concept, and a Bosch Compact  ( the other mixers I have used ) .   I use the roller, and I find it does a great job developing gluten.  Mainly I used  100% whole wheat, which can be tougher on a machine, but never find it gets bogged down.  I am usually using high hydration -  75% and up.  One of the best things about the machine, at least for me, is that I can make dough with as little as 250 grams of flour, and the machine will still knead it,  in most of the Bosch's that I have used, it just tickles the dough, but doesn't knead it.  Since I am using home milled wheat, which I usually mill in advance and keep in the freezer, I can't really comment on dough temp rising too much.      How much flour are you using per batch, what is your hydration, and are you using an autolyze step?   Using colder water and an autolyze may help with the temp issues.  I would give it another chance and see if you can get it to do what you want. I admit there is a bit of a learning curve to using the roller, and I only tried the dough hook once and it didn't seem to be as efficient as the roller.  If you have the 600 watt version, you know that you should not knead at the highest speed.

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 08:43:56 PM »
A contrary voice here.  I use mine for pizza dough, and bread dough all the time, and I much prefer it over a KitchenAid, a Bosch Universal, A Bosch Concept, and a Bosch Compact  ( the other mixers I have used ) .   I use the roller, and I find it does a great job developing gluten.  Mainly I used  100% whole wheat, which can be tougher on a machine, but never find it gets bogged down.  I am usually using high hydration -  75% and up.  One of the best things about the machine, at least for me, is that I can make dough with as little as 250 grams of flour, and the machine will still knead it,  in most of the Bosch's that I have used, it just tickles the dough, but doesn't knead it.  Since I am using home milled wheat, which I usually mill in advance and keep in the freezer, I can't really comment on dough temp rising too much.      How much flour are you using per batch, what is your hydration, and are you using an autolyze step?   Using colder water and an autolyze may help with the temp issues.  I would give it another chance and see if you can get it to do what you want. I admit there is a bit of a learning curve to using the roller, and I only tried the dough hook once and it didn't seem to be as efficient as the roller.  If you have the 600 watt version, you know that you should not knead at the highest speed.

I would NOT recommend using colder water unless you actually through much experiment are able to dial in a FF for this mixer and begin to discover actual water temps. In general the FF is super low which "seems" like a good thing as it doesn't raise the temp of the dough a lot, BUT it also shows that it is not working the dough well.

I'm not saying the mixer doesn't work, but after using one for a year, doing 5-7 doughs per day, 6 days a week. I am not impressed from a consistency perspective. I'm pretty anal about FDT and after a year.... I still have no way to really say I understand the friction factor in this mixer.

Offline StateofMind

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 09:29:12 PM »
I have been using mine for about 2 years now. My hydration fluctuates between 61-67%, I almost always use cold water, autolyze, and I shoot for a finished dough temp of around 80F. I have made some really good dough on this machine it just hasnt been consistent. I also find it annoying to have to work the dough in this machine for close to 30 minutes. Where as a kitchen aid you can get it together in far less time. I'm not giving up on it but I'm probably going to pick up a heavy duty KA as well.

Offline StateofMind

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 10:36:47 PM »
Here's a picture of tonight's dough. 63% hydration and using central mills organic high gluten flour. Total mix time of about 40 minutes and dough still not smooth nor as elastic as I would like.