Author Topic: Dough retarding in bags(?)  (Read 62 times)

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
Dough retarding in bags(?)
« on: Yesterday at 07:19:13 PM »
It's been a while since I went through my last pizza craze, but the urge is back, I still have most of my tools, and I have a shitton of flour on the way (150lbs plus 50lbs of semolina for good measure  ;D). The one critical thing I don't have are my old 4cup/32oz glad plastic containers for retarding my dough. Trying to look for some new, and hopefully better options, with flatter bottoms (I never really liked them as they were cumbersome to clean with all their embossed logo's, ridges, and contours). In my search I noted a number of forum posts including the Dough Doctor's about retarding dough in bags, can anyone elaborate on this? I get the gist of it, spray some oil in the bag, or brush the dough ball with it instead, toss it in the bag, twirl it and tuck the twisted part under the dough and put in fridge, however I can't for the life of me find any visual references. Being a fairly visual learner I would love to see a youtube clip, or see some before and after pics of some bagged dough.

Thanks!

EDIT: FWIW, I also saw THESE and am tempted to just get them, but the thought of easy clean up and more efficient use of fridge space is making me wait for instructions on this bagging idea.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:24:07 PM by PapaJon »
Jon

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Dough retarding in bags(?)
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:32:24 PM »
It's been a while since I went through my last pizza craze, but the urge is back, I still have most of my tools, and I have a shitton of flour on the way (150lbs plus 50lbs of semolina for good measure  ;D). The one critical thing I don't have are my old 4cup/32oz glad plastic containers for retarding my dough. Trying to look for some new, and hopefully better options, with flatter bottoms (I never really liked them as they were cumbersome to clean with all their embossed logo's, ridges, and contours). In my search I noted a number of forum posts including the Dough Doctor's about retarding dough in bags, can anyone elaborate on this? I get the gist of it, spray some oil in the bag, or brush the dough ball with it instead, toss it in the bag, twirl it and tuck the twisted part under the dough and put in fridge, however I can't for the life of me find any visual references. Being a fairly visual learner I would love to see a youtube clip, or see some before and after pics of some bagged dough.

Thanks!

EDIT: FWIW, I also saw THESE and am tempted to just get them, but the thought of easy clean up and more efficient use of fridge space is making me wait for instructions on this bagging idea.

Jon,

I use plastic bags to store the dough balls.  One such post with photos is at Reply 2570 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg437750#msg437750

I use small cheap food safe bags from the Webstaurant Store.  Tom Lehmann gave me the idea to use the plastic bags since there isn't much refrigeration space at market.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Dough retarding in bags(?)
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:09:18 PM »
After I first used a plastic bag, I never even thought about using a tub again.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage