A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone.  (Read 5855 times)

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
  • Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
Re: My attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone.
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
Attempt 06.02.17 I ran out of my Carfagna's pepperoni and I had to use the Battisoni cup and char pep I had on hand. I have decided I don't care for that pep as much because it's just too spicy. What I did take from the experience is that my next attempt will be just cheese. I have struggled to find a cheese that I am happy with, and it's tough to make a judgment when it's covered up with pep. Also, I have come to the realization that it is completely impossible for me to get my hands on Tommy's provolone cheese, so I may as well find one that makes me happy. I hadn't made any plain cheese pies either. What to do? Make another scrap dough, thinnest of the thin pie, with just cheese. I had Walmart Great Value LMWM mozz on hand because it's the cheese that I use for my homemade mozz sticks. The last time I made my mozz sticks, the quality of the cheese was different, it came out squeaky and chewy. So yes, that same thing happened to my scrap dough pie. I will be on the search for a preferable cheese. I was happy I rolled out my scrap pie thin again, it was very good. Not Tommy's exactly but thin and crispy is a good thing!
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2017, 06:06:28 PM »
06.11.17  Commence the cheese pizza taste experimenting! Boy, doesn't that sound good problem to have. I am still stuck on my newest pizza crush, Rubino's. I tried to roll the dough thinner than my usual Tommy's clone and perhaps I'm losing a little focus there. I also, once again, messed up my launch. My partner has gotten to the point of leaving the kitchen when I get ready for the launch, it's that bad. I didn't fret too much despite the failure in form, and besides it was the cheese flavor I was after. The cheese was a complete success! I was shocked at how good Giant Eagle's deli case LMWM mozz was, I bought it in a 1# chunk. So if you are near to a Giant Eagle grocery store, I recommend it wholeheartedly.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2017, 09:52:45 PM »
I have been using a smoked provolone I buy at my local HEB grocery store.    I have to buy it at the specialty cheese area and not at the deli.   Perhaps you can also find something similar at your local grocery store.   I have also bought the aged HEB brand provolone (not smoked) at the  deli - I buy in bulk and grate it at home.   I have also bought the Boars Head brand of Provolone (not smoked) at the same deli and like it as well.   I like the smoked provolone a little better than the non smoked but there is not a huge taste difference.  Perhaps you can more easily find the Boars Head provolone and try that.

333Meg - your crusts always look more laminated than mine.  I have quit docking the crusts but still don't get the same amount of lamination. 

Thanks for all your posts!

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »
Ted, I have used the Boar's head provolone but the one labeled "Picante", which is the only kind at my local store, and that kind was a little too strong and greasy. I am sure stuck on cheese for now and I have tried so many at this point.

Boar's Head LMWM mozz, Boar's Head provolone, Belgiosso 'mild' Provo (which is quite strong and thus far my favorite provolone), Giant Eagle LMWM mozz (my favorite mozz to this point), Polly-O mozz and Provo (used the Provo alone last night and liked it a lot), Grande LMPS mozz/Provo blend (too chewy), Great Value Walmart LMWM mozz (not consistent but good when it's good), and many, many others. I really want to try Saputo Gold and will be trying to source that next.

As far as my pizzas...you spoke too soon, my pizzas have not been coming out since my last post! I have no idea why at all. None. Except my scraps doughs, those have been consistently great but vary widely, but I have no expectation for them so I think that has a lot to do with it. After several, I don't want to say failures exactly because they tasted great, but several not close to Tommy's taste at all. No crispy, crunchy crust and very little to no lamination. It's been slightly frustrating but not terrible because it's pizza! My partner has referred to them as "toothsome", which he said he likes, strangely. I have stayed with the same version I have been making all along and will continue to until I can manage to get some consistency going. So the quest continues...

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »
This is scrap dough, ultra thinly rolled with new toppings for once. Pesto, mozz, homemade sausage and ricotta dollops. It was very good!

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
That looks delicious.  Pesto pizzas are a favorite around my house.  I bet the ricotta and sausage additions made it outrageously tasty!!

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
This pizza making adventure has led me to now making sausages at home...

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »
That looks delicious.  Pesto pizzas are a favorite around my house.  I bet the ricotta and sausage additions made it outrageously tasty!!
You are always so nice! Thank you.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »
Great update Meg!

I like Boars head LMWM mozz a lot, it's just $$$
I often go back and forth between that and Saputo Gold. If you like stronger provolone's I recently tried Polly-O. Here's a thin & crispy pie mixed with Saputo WM mozz and Polly-O provolone. I'm from St. Louis so I cannot relate to Tommy's, but the provolone definitely felt like a step in the right direction for my pies!