A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Looking to transform a Pizza Party oven to work with a Gas/Propane burner  (Read 901 times)

Offline td2w2

Hi guys,

So after using the Pizza Party oven on my balcony for almost a year, I've decided to transform the oven into a gas/propane one, in order to avoid the smoke. (Being located in the city with neighbors all over the place is apparently not such a good spot for WFOs).

Anyone knows the technicalities of doing such process? I've heard some people say that the pressure of the burner should be really high, making the entire system pretty expensive. Any recommended parts/accessories to install in the oven?

Also, what would be the temperatures I can aim for with a burner?

Thanks!  :pizza:

Offline sub

Offline td2w2

Hi,

You can look at this thread:Modifica (modding) Pizza Party - guida alla conversione a gas, modifica con bruciatore professionale a GPL o metano

Wow, thank you! It really looks like a great source to start with.
Too bad I don't speak Italian but it should still be really helpful  :chef:

Offline sub

Me either, I use Google Translate.

the webshop for the burner: http://shop.ricambirepetti.com/28-bruciatore-a-tubo

The Alfa pizza gas oven

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:30:52 AM by sub »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Me either, I use Google Translate.

the webshop for the burner: http://shop.ricambirepetti.com/28-bruciatore-a-tubo

The Alfa pizza gas oven

Every time one of my searches ends up on an Italian forum, you are always there...and then I use Google translate to read it. Would have bet you spoke Italian.

Offline td2w2

Just wanted to post an update. We've added Gas support for the original PizzaParty. (Some pics added)

So we use a 5kg gas tank, with a 40cm burner and a safety mechanism. Note that 40cm is slightly too short, and the burner does not reach the end of the oven. (You can see that in screenshot #4, also some of the flames are going above the inner metal sheet. Hope this is not a problem?)

Gas pressure can be adjusted really easily so we usually use high pressure when there's nothing in the oven (to keep the temperature) and then using a smaller flame when there's a Pizza inside, so the top doesn't burn out before the bottom is ready.

Overall it's a fantastic upgrade. It's not really practical to use a WFO in the city (lots of smoke). Also the oven can get to ~400C in about 25 minutes. So in comparison to working with wood for 2 hours until the oven is hot enough, this is just great. Still doing some experiments with the dough, though  :chef:

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Very well done!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline italdream

• Supporting Member
  • Fatte ‘na pizza c’a pummarola ‘ncoppa
Overall it's a fantastic upgrade. It's not really practical to use a WFO in the city (lots of smoke). Also the oven can get to ~400C in about 25 minutes. So in comparison to working with wood for 2 hours until the oven is hot enough, this is just great. Still doing some experiments with the dough, though  :chef:

This looks like a clean job, especially compared to some of the older mods shown on Italian pizza forums. Quick question(s): aside from the above (no smoke, faster warm up, etc.) have you noticed any difference in performance for gas vis a vis wood? In particular, any noticeable difference in the flavor of the pizza?
Pizza Party Passione | Alive and Kicking
Blackstone | Semiretired
Kettle Grill Insert | Dumped
Little Black Egg | Retired with Honors
Modified Pizza Bella | Retired with Honors

Offline td2w2

This looks like a clean job, especially compared to some of the older mods shown on Italian pizza forums. Quick question(s): aside from the above (no smoke, faster warm up, etc.) have you noticed any difference in performance for gas vis a vis wood? In particular, any noticeable difference in the flavor of the pizza?

It's hard to say. We used a regular home electric oven (with a stone) for years and years. We only used the oven with wood a handful of times, since it was smoking quite a lot and also required much set up work in terms of the fire. We're no experts in WFOs, so we couldn't really find our rhythm yet and taste was still far from ideal. I guess now with the gas, we're still in our first few tries, but it's simply much easier to control everything. Flavor is still in the works.

I think the only ones who could judge are the ones who used the WF version of the oven dozens of times and then switched to gas. I'll try to take a couple more pictures over the weekend, we'll see if there's some progress :)