A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: French fries in a frying pan and olive oil  (Read 496 times)

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
French fries in a frying pan and olive oil
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »
For years, I've been making fish and chips by broiling cod and baking frozen french fries.  I've never been happy with the fries, but it was the only way.  Deep frying was out of the question.  For my wife, deep frying was right up there with smoking cigars in the health department. But now she's big on the Mediterranean diet, and the big thing they push is olive oil.  We spoke with a couple at a party who say that they make their french fries using fresh potatoes and olive oil in a frying pan.  He puts enough oil to only half-submerge the fries and then flips them at some point.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has done anything like this, and if they've got any suggestions.  I'm a little curious how you get the oil to the right temperature.  What *is* a suitable temperature, and how long should you fry them?  I'm hoping my 12" lodge logic frying pan is suitable for this job.  With the shallow depth of the oil, I don't know that a traditional oil/candy thermometer would work.  And I'm guessing my IR thermometer is going to look through the oil and report the temperature of the metal pan beneath.

Now I know most of you are going to want to tell me that olive oil is the wrong oil for deep frying. Yes, I'm totally up to speed on the low smoke point of olive oil, but the bottom line here is that if I can't make this happen with olive oil, my only other option is back to the bag of frozen Ore-Ida.  And I *have* seen resources that claim that the smoke point of olive oil is much higher than most people believe, like above 400F.  So I'd like to give this a try.  Baked frozen fries are pitiful.
--pat--

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: French fries in a frying pan and olive oil
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:32:21 AM »
If you're afraid of deep fried potatoes, you certainly shouldn't be eating pizza.

Online timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:40:55 AM »
Mario Batali is in favor of deep frying in EVOO. I fried artichokes in olive oil once. I had no problem with the oil smoking.
I think if you're going to pan fry potatoes half submerged you might as well just deep fry them.
Tim

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:51:13 AM »
Yeah, my original plan was to deep fry.  I'd like to know if I can store previously used oil, or do I need fresh each time.
--pat--

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »
EVOO mages great fries, but of the fats I regularly have around the house, bacon grease makes the best fries, IMO.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:07:14 AM »
Yeah, my original plan was to deep fry.  I'd like to know if I can store previously used oil, or do I need fresh each time.

If you don't overheat the oil and filter it after use, it should work for more than one time. It will get stinky at some point, so smell it before using. Not using fries blanched in salt water will extend oil life.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline sub

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
For my wife, deep frying was right up there with smoking cigars in the health department.

For less greasy fries, boil them first in water 10 minutes.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
If you don't overheat the oil and filter it after use, it should work for more than one time. It will get stinky at some point, so smell it before using. Not using fries blanched in salt water will extend oil life.

Apparently you never heard of Dyer's deep fried burger and there 100 year old oil.

Offline jimyra

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
You can use olive oil.  Pumice olive oil has a higher smoke point than EVOO and is cheaper.  I would cover the potatoes with the oil.  Try blanching first at 325 F drain and cool then final crisp at 350 F.  A instant read thermometer will work.  Thermopen has a digital that is good for those temps. To save your oil get a fine mesh strainer and filter the oil after using then store it in the refrigerator for further use.

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »
Thanks for all the good info, folks.  I've been trying all my thermometers to see what works.  Looks like they all do.  I'm going to take a stab at fries for dinner.
--pat--

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
I use jumbo russet potatoes soaked in clear water (takes a rinse or two after freshly sliced) with about 1T of dissolved white sugar for 2h.  I then dry them and fry them in peanut oil in my presto deep fryer at 375F for 9m, then drain on paper towels and refry for 3 more mins.  Big key is not to overload the fryer or else they take far longer to cook due to excess steam escaping.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »
Apparently you never heard of Dyer's deep fried burger and there 100 year old oil.

If you fry in shortening, filter it every day, and don't abuse it, yes, you can can just add more shortening to replace what is lost to the food, however, that has almost nothing in common with what he asked.

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »
Oil of choice to 375, crank the heat a bit after the drop to bring temp back up, monitor temp, season right out of the grease, enjoy. I parbake my potatoes, cool, slice, fry. Strain used oil thru paper towels lining a wire sieve while still very hot into safe container, let cool and into a storage jug and in the fridge til next time. Duck fat is awesome to fry in!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
Duck fat is awesome to fry in!!!

Yeah, I'm sure that'll be my wife's second choice after olive oil.   :D
--pat--

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 12:00:36 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure that'll be my wife's second choice after olive oil.   :D

You seem in disagreement with her. I feel sorry for you.

wordpress