A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Nancy's stuffed pizza video  (Read 704 times)

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
Nancy's stuffed pizza video
« on: February 21, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »
That dough looks very pillowy.  Look at that amount of butter in the pan!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:26:39 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Nancy's stuffed pizza video
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen...cornmeal.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:49:12 AM »

Loo

And it's Nancy too.  They are somewhat big.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:06:51 AM »
Thanks, Google Ads.   :-D

Offline Garvey

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »

FWIW, that's a cornmeal dusting in place of bench flour before sheeting.  A world of difference between that and the laughable cornbread-pizza mashups you see in the early recipes on this site.  I'd guess the bakers percent when used this way is like 1-2% or so.  Maybe 3%.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 09:48:30 AM »
Thanks, Google Ads.   :-D

Mmmmmmm.... Fatty Liver!    :drool:
In grams we trust.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 05:24:08 PM »
FWIW, that's a cornmeal dusting in place of bench flour before sheeting.  A world of difference between that and the laughable cornbread-pizza mashups you see in the early recipes on this site.  I'd guess the bakers percent when used this way is like 1-2% or so.  Maybe 3%.

That's why I even pointed it out, more or less to poke some fun.  THAT would an effective use of cornmeal...leave it out of the recipe.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 02:36:35 PM »
I find it beyond amazing that someone from the Chicago Tribune, a well-respected and professional media organization, didn't think to either a) ask him to switch the roller off, or b) switch the roller off themselves. They are filming with sound, and no one notices that they're nearly yelling because of the noise of the roller.

Thanks for the video!

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 12:26:16 AM »
I find it beyond amazing that someone from the Chicago Tribune, a well-respected and professional media organization, didn't think to either a) ask him to switch the roller off, or b) switch the roller off themselves. They are filming with sound, and no one notices that they're nearly yelling because of the noise of the roller.

Thanks for the video!
I was thinking the same thing.

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 01:46:01 PM »

Garvey, do you really think it's that high?

From my experience, he was three kernels of corn meal away from wrapping that dough around the roller. Hello, board scraper!

I would have used somewhat more, but do you really think that use could push it up to three percent?

My thought is that it may be some percentage by weight, but that the corn meal in that case is like sprinkles on a cupcake, they're there, but they just add a little crunch, no flavour.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »
Garvey, do you really think it's that high?

A tbs of cornmeal weighs almost 11g.  If that's a 500g dough ball, that's > 2% right there.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 07:30:30 PM »
Since you'd be adding the edible yellow roller bearings after the dough's already been made, it seems illogical to include it in your dough calculations.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Qapla

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
Interesting.

Back in the early 1970's I used to work for a chain pizza place that specialized in a thin/almost cracker style crust (Pizza Inn) We used a machine to roll our dough.

We never used any bench flour or corn meal - just ran the dough through the upper set of rollers, turned it 90 degrees and ran it through the bottom set. Never had any problem with it sticking.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
Since you'd be adding the edible yellow roller bearings after the dough's already been made, it seems illogical to include it in your dough calculations.

Who are you talking to?  If me, I agree with you.  That was my point.  The cornbread pizza recipes like this one, featured on the main site, are laughable.  I mean, 19.4%?!?!  (It's kinda ridiculous that these recipes are still up there.  I offered to do the work to replace these with better recipes years ago but was shot down.  Go figure.]  IOW, my point was, if we are to look at this video and say, "See!  Cornmeal *IS* part of DD!!!", then we need to put that in proper perspective.  Where I'd disagree with you slightly, though, Ed, is that the sheeter sort of pushes the cornmeal into the dough, so it does become part of the dough in the end--more so than say, dusting the peel with cornmeal to help launch pies into the oven.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:18:22 AM by Garvey »

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »
A tbs of cornmeal weighs almost 11g.  If that's a 500g dough ball, that's > 2% right there.

I'm an idiot.

You're right. Thank you.

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
Interesting.

Back in the early 1970's I used to work for a chain pizza place that specialized in a thin/almost cracker style crust (Pizza Inn) We used a machine to roll our dough.

We never used any bench flour or corn meal - just ran the dough through the upper set of rollers, turned it 90 degrees and ran it through the bottom set. Never had any problem with it sticking.

I'd have to assume that it was a pretty dry dough. I have no idea what formulation or hydration dough we used back then, but Papa Lou wanted you to skimp on dusting flour, even though you had to use it. Invariably at least one dough ball wrapped around the roller on busy nights.

The guy in the video, from what I could see, was, like I said, about three grains of corn meal from wrapping his dough.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »
Who are you talking to?  If me, I agree with you.  That was my point.  The cornbread pizza recipes like this one, featured on the main site, are laughable.  I mean, 19.4%?!?!  (It's kinda ridiculous that these recipes are still up there.  I offered to do the work to replace these with better recipes years ago but was shot down.  Go figure.]  IOW, my point was, if we are to look at this video and say, "See!  Cornmeal *IS* part of DD!!!", then we need to put that in proper perspective.  Where I'd disagree with you slightly, though, Ed, is that the sheeter sort of pushes the cornmeal into the dough, so it does become part of the dough in the end--more so than say, dusting the peel with cornmeal to help launch pies into the oven.

Yeah, it becomes a physical part of the dough. My point was that it would not make sense to add it to a dough calculator ingredient list because it's not part of making the initial ball of dough, or even portioning/weighing - it's part of the assembly process.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/