A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong with my dough?  (Read 243 times)

Offline elorapik

• I Love Pizza!
What am I doing wrong with my dough?
« on: January 15, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »
What I am looking is a light, crispy dough ... kind of Neapolitan, but a bit less chewy.

I am using G3Ferrari Pizza Express oven (version with one stone) and here is my dough procedure:

Ingredients:
1 kg of tipo '0' flour
600 ml of water
50 g of salt
5 g of fresh yeast

First of all I dissolve yeast in water, then add salt and flour. Mix/knead it by hand until the dough is smooth and right after that I put it in a floured plastic container and close it (the container has a ~hermetic cover). I leave the dough overnight at a room temperature then knead it again as it is very bubbly and finally form balls and leave them closed in a box for another couple of hours. Pizza is baked at the maximum oven temperature for ~5 minutes. After all this the pizza is hard as stone (maybe not that much but still).

What am I doing wrong?

Here's what I tried:
1. Adding less 59% or more 61/62% of water - but it did not make much difference
2. Cold fermentation from one night to a few days - taste is different but not texture
3. Shorter proofing time - no success
4. Lower baking temperature - it was even worse, because pizza had to stay longer to get cooked
5. Shorter cooking time 3-4 mins - but I find my pizzas under-cooked
6. Trying to form pizzas from the dough at room temperature or taken directly from the fridge - apart from the fact that it was much easier to form the dough at room temp nothing really changed
7. Buying a ball from my local pizzeria and bake it at max temperature to check whether oven is ok - it got burned from the bottom in less than 3 minutes (top was not cooked), but surprisingly pizza was quite good.

PS. My dough is really elastic and easy to form - it does not break even if it is almost paper thin. To be honest the only difference with a pizzeria ball is that pizzeria ball is ... I would say ... heavier/denser, but not significantly.

Any help will be appreciated.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: What am I doing wrong with my dough?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:23:17 PM »
Need more information:
1) What is the dough weight and what size skin are you opening it into ?
2) What is your baking platform (deck, screen, disk, pan, etc.?
3) What is your baking temperature?
4) Typical baking time to get a "cooked"/baked pizza?
5) Can you provide us with any pictures (top and bottom) of your pizzas?
6) You do realize that you are using 5% salt...right? This is about twice the amount normally used in making pizza dough.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline elorapik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:35:28 PM »
1. The dough ball is around 220-240g, which will give ~30cm
2. Not sure if I get this ... baking platform? I put my pizzas directly on the stone.
3. The oven manual claims it can heat up to ~400C/750F - did not checked it with an external probe
4. 5 mins
5. Attached
6. My bad, there should be 30g so 3%.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
What does the bottom of your pizza look like? Also, if you can provide a picture of a cut slice of the pizza which is taken as a side view so we can see what the crumb (grain) structure looks like this would help in determining if the dough fermentation is correct.
Your scaling weight is OK for a 30cm/12" diameter pizza.
If the side view of the crumb structure shows any collapse this might be a cause for the toughness/chewiness being experienced. The bottom color would also provide an indication as to whether the pizza is being properly baked. This is important as an under baked pizza quickly takes on tough, chewy mastication properties.
If you are just trying to impart a more tender eating characteristic to the pizza the inclusion of 2% oil/fat to the dough formulation will also help (fat is classified as a tenderizer). Think of the eating properties of French bread (no fat), now think of white pan bread (4 to 6% fat).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:46:14 AM »
Ingredients:
1 kg of tipo '0' flour

This just specifies a grind (particle size), not protein, strength, or suitability for a particular use...
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
  • Love the new 'real' oven
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:49:46 PM »
I hope your are not making the mistake we made.   Typo 00 is available with a
wheat that is great for pizza and some that are better for pasta and pastry.
Take it from me ... they are not the same.   The Italian flours that are available locally
from a few mills make it easy ... on the package they have pictures of pizzas.
Check you package.
Brent

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:04:03 PM »
I hope your are not making the mistake we made.   Typo 00 is available with a
wheat that is great for pizza and some that are better for pasta and pastry.
Take it from me ... they are not the same.   The Italian flours that are available locally
from a few mills make it easy ... on the package they have pictures of pizzas.
Check you package.

FWIW, I use the Caputo 00 with the pizza on the front for my homemade pasta and it works BEAUTIFULLY.  :chef: