A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cold Fermentation Dough Schedule  (Read 276 times)

Offline scottmiller686

• I Love Pizza!
Cold Fermentation Dough Schedule
« on: January 22, 2020, 08:35:32 PM »
Hi Tom and anyone else who wants to answer.

I'm looking into opening up a shop and had a couple questions. I hope this makes sense.

I would like to be closed for a day(or two) a week when we first open, is there a way to be closed and not be in the shop 7 days a week making dough, if cold-multi day ferments are what I'm planning? For instance, closed on Monday/Tuesday and make enough dough on Saturday/Sunday for Wednesday/Thursday stretching the ferment times to 4-5 days instead of 3 days? Is it as simple as adjusting the amount of yeast in the dough? Any other concerns?

When I can staff the place and get the machine running smoothly, open 7 days a week would be the goal. and then it would be same formula every day...

Here's details.
New York Style 18" pies and 12" or 14", All Trumps unbleached, 62% hydration, 3% salt, 0.31% IDY, 2% oil and 1% sugar. (delayed oil of course) final temp after mixing 78F-80F. 22oz dough ball for 18", 570F to 600F bake. Will adjust sugar if too much browning occurs.

Mix all the dough, 30 min bench rest, ball it, ferment in dough trays (after cross stacking) for 72 hours @ 37F - 39F, normal walk-in temps.

What would you do in this situation?

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Cold Fermentation Dough Schedule
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 09:23:24 PM »
Here's a great article by Tom on effective dough management: https://www.pmq.com/the-dough-doctor-tackles-effective-dough-management-strategies/

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline scottmiller686

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Cold Fermentation Dough Schedule
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:02:55 PM »
Here's a great article by Tom on effective dough management: https://www.pmq.com/the-dough-doctor-tackles-effective-dough-management-strategies/

Rolls

Thanks, I've read a lot of Tom's articles and have a pretty good idea of dough management. I was mostly wondering if any shop owners are making longer fermenting doughs to compensate for the days they're closed or what they are doing in those situations. For instance, instead of letting dough cold ferment for three days, making batches 4-5 days ahead of use, adjusting the amount of yeast used.

Maybe a 48hr cold ferment instead of 72hr, three days a week and 96hr ferment the other two days would be easier. ie. dough made Wednesday would be ready for Friday and dough made on Saturday with lower yeast would be ready in 96hr on Wednesday.

According to TxCraigs yeast prediction model it looks like 0.32% IDY at 38F would produce a dough ready in 48hr and decreasing the yeast to 0.128% would ready in 96hrs of fermentation at the same walk-in temps.

Testing would be required but I'm wondering if this makes sense hypothetically.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress