A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bar-room style pizza? Please Help!  (Read 13593 times)

Offline nick378311

Bar-room style pizza? Please Help!
« on: June 26, 2011, 12:48:46 AM »
I am new to this website and am trying desperately to learn how to make bar room style pizza similar to that style of lynwood or cape cod cafe. So far I have found that the crust is basically thin style chicago crust cooked on a 10' pan. If anyone new how to make a bar room style sauce and the cheese used I would highly appreciate it. Thanks!

Nick

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Bar-room style pizza? Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:37:48 PM »
Nick, I've never made bar pies myself, but here's 2 links that may help you get started.

A thread about Lynwood Cafe:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11364.0.html

A link to the cracker Style board:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,28.0.html

Good luck!
Matt
Matt

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »
Nick, This is a good starter recipe for a cooked sauce.    http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php  Modify to your taste. I use more onion and add red pepper flakes for added zing, and habanero sauce. As for your cheese I suggest picking up some cheddar, provolone, mozzarella and coming up with a blend you like. Maybe try some smoked cheese. I have to cheat and use Liquid Smoke but I think the taste goes well with bar room pizza.
Don

I am new to this website and am trying desperately to learn how to make bar room style pizza similar to that style of lynwood or cape cod cafe. So far I have found that the crust is basically thin style chicago crust cooked on a 10' pan. If anyone new how to make a bar room style sauce and the cheese used I would highly appreciate it. Thanks!

Nick

Offline nick378311

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:11:32 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Nick

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Bein' Hangry, Beer, Whiskey, n' Pizza...
    • I'm Hangry Y'all
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:16:53 AM »
Nick, are you referring to this type of pie? http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.0.html

Offline nick378311

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:20:20 AM »
Its similar, but just a little different. The only problem with bar style pizza is no one has heard of it outside the boston area.
There are some pictures on this sight
 http://www.yelp.com/biz/cape-cod-cafe-brockton

Nick

Offline nick378311

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:26:24 AM »
And While we're on the sauce subject, does anyone prefer to use fresh oregano and thyme opposed to dry? Just wondering because I have an oregano, thyme, and basil plant.

Thanks, nick

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • I'm Hangry Y'all
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:46 AM »
Its similar, but just a little different. The only problem with bar style pizza is no one has heard of it outside the boston area.
There are some pictures on this sight
 http://www.yelp.com/biz/cape-cod-cafe-brockton

Nick
I think you might want to look at the rest of the pages of that thread... the Boston phenomena is discussed.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:46 AM »
nick378311,

Is this the website for the pizzeria?  http://www.capecodcafepizza.com/index.htm  Did you look through the thread Ron mentioned and look at some of the pictures like the one posted at Reply 203 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg131491.html#msg131491 and maybe Reply 215 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg132137.html#msg132137 and Reply 218 by Ron http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg133376.html#msg133376

Norma

Offline nick378311

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »
Yes and Yes that is the website. I really appreciate all the help. I think I now have a basic under standing of how its made thanks to that thread. It will be hard to perfect it because im sure they use "secret" ingredients, so im going to get some 10' pans this week and try it out. Once again, Thanks!

Nick

Offline nick378311

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
Would everyone agree the darkening on the sides of the crust is from sauce? I am also going to oil the pan alot for grease should I use olive oil or something like corn or vegetable oil?

Thanks alot, nick

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »
Would everyone agree the darkening on the sides of the crust is from sauce? I am also going to oil the pan alot for grease should I use olive oil or something like corn or vegetable oil?

Thanks alot, nick

No, I think the browning on the sides is cheese.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • I'm Hangry Y'all
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »

Thanks alot, nick
No. It's the cheese, and it doesn't usually come from mozzarella. It's usually a white cheddar (cheddar on the edges - still mozzarella in the middle)... but in my case, it is a combination of white cheddar and Parmesan or Romano.

I think whatever oil you have on hand is fine, but if you're looking for more flavor, use the olive oil.

Offline nick378311

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »
Thanks i'll be sure to use olive. I was planning on using a mixture something like 1/2 mild white cheddar, 1/4 mozzarella,  and 1/4 provolone or parmesan. This is the recipe I was going to try, but if you see any flaws feel free to point them out because im certainly no expert....yet! :D.

Dough
4 cups unbleached bread flour
2/3 cup fine grind yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoons table salt, or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons instant yeast
5 Tablespoons corn oil
1 cups water between 90 and 95F
cup milk

Sauce
28 oz. can 6 in 1
1 tablespoon fresh green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
pinch of rosemary

Cheese
1/2 mild white cheddar, 1/4 mozzarella, 1/4 provolone or parmesan

Pan well oiled w/ olive oil

Temp

Also I read a couple of places that it would be a good idea to cook the dough for 7 minutes before adding the sauce and cheese,  anyone agree or disagree? And thanks Don for the sauce recipe, I just changed it a little bit, Thanks!, nick

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • I'm Hangry Y'all
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »

Also I read a couple of places that it would be a good idea to cook the dough for 7 minutes before adding the sauce and cheese,  anyone agree or disagree? And thanks Don for the sauce recipe, I just changed it a little bit, Thanks!, nick
Speaking from my own experience, par-baking the crust tends to make it thicker than it needs to be. Throw the sauce and cheese right on top of the uncooked dough after you spread it out in the pan.

As for the cheese mixture, that mix sounds good, but make sure you put straight cheddar (or some cheddar/parm mix) on the edges of the pan. Don't bother using the mozz on the edges. The cheddar will give your edge a nice nuttiness, as well as the gorgeous dark brown color.

Offline nick378311

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »
Ok thanks ill be sure to put cheddar on the edges of the pan. Do you prefer to preheat the pan before spreading the dough on it? Also I heard some places take the pizza out about half way through and add the toppings (pepperoni etc.) but i've never actually tried that.

Thanks, nick

Offline nick378311

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
Also I read in a thread that if you blend the sauce mixture in the blender it comes out like tomato juice which I do not want, any idea about that?

Thanks, nick

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • I'm Hangry Y'all
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
Preheating the pan before spreading the dough in it is a sure way of burning your fingers. I don't know why preheating the pan would be considered a value at all.

Putting the pan on a preheated stone probably would not be a bad idea, though. I could be wrong. I haven't done that yet.

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • I'm Hangry Y'all
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
Also I read in a thread that if you blend the sauce mixture in the blender it comes out like tomato juice which I do not want, any idea about that?

Thanks, nick
No need to do that. Let it be what it is. Don't try to homogenize it.

Offline nick378311

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »
Alright thanks, i'll leave it how it is. And yea, I was thinking the same thing about the preheated pan, it would just be hard to spread and create holes. Do you prefer letting the crust rise in the pan before adding the ingredients and putting it in the oven?

Thanks, nick

wordpress