A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza with 100% sprouted flour  (Read 3301 times)

Offline dmaxdmax

Pizza with 100% sprouted flour
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »
I tried a batch of dough using the recipe Peter Reinhart posted on pizzaquest.com:
http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/223-sprouted-whole-wheat-pizza-dough.html

The results were great!  My kids weren't happy when they heard we were having whole wheat crust but they soon forgot and didn't leave a crumb.  The recipe calls for 92% hydration and after mixing it was a mess.  In fact, the first of 4 stretch and folds would be better described as glop and flop.  After the 4th round it was sitting up and holding its shape quite well.  It proofed for 90 minutes at room temp, then I scaled and made 5 dough balls in individual plastic containers.  The work surface and my hands were lightly oiled but I was amazed at how easy it was to handle.  It didn't form a super tight ball like NY dough but I don't think that mattered.

It sat in the fridge for about 2 hours then I reballed and put out 2 balls under plastic wrap and left 3 in their containers, turned upside down on parchment.  (I couldn't tell a difference in the results.)  They sat out for about an hour.  As usual, I made the dough on parchment so I didn't need to worry about the bottom but the top required almost no bench flour to press out.  I was shocked that it wasn't a bit sticky.

Oven spring was good though not quite as dramatic as 72-75% neo-neapolitan dough with bread flour.  The result was soft and tasty, just the texture that my braces-laden kids need but my wife and I liked it too.  A little more chew would have been ok with me but I'm not complaining.  Everyone liked it and since it's supposedly better for us than white flour it may well become the house dough.  I want to see how it tastes after 24-36 hours in the fridge.

Following are more pictures than you want to see.
#1 - After 2 min mix/5 min rest/ 2 min mix - Glop
#2 - After 4 stretch and folds
#3 - After 90 minutes
#4 - An individual container on its way to the fridge
#5 - After 2 hours in the fridge, turned upside down on parchment

Dave

The flour was discussed here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13509.0.html

and a bonus post from Tom Lehmann:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14200.0.html
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:00:30 AM by dmaxdmax »
Always make new mistakes.

Offline dmaxdmax

Re: Pizza with 100% sprouted flour
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:47:43 PM »
More pictures
#1 - "hockey puck" after the container was lifted
#2 - stretched and dressed with onion jam and goat cheese
#3 - result
#4 - underneath
#5 - the crumb.  some had larger holes, others not as good.  I wish my oven got hotter.

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:18:43 AM »
Nice work! I'm going to have to give this a go.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:21:49 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Ronzo

• Bein' Hangry, Beer, Whiskey, Jeeps n' Pizza...
    • I'm Hangry Y'all
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »
Dave,
Nice job! That looks great!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:39:42 AM »
Dave,

Glad to hear your results using the sprouted flour were great!  The 92% hydration sure is a lot, but you managed it very well!  Your pizza look very tasty and the crumb really looks moist.

Great job!  ;D

Norma

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »
Thanks everyone!  It may not be the best tasting dough I've ever made as compared to yummy white flour; however, it might be the best whole wheat I've ever had anywhere.  To be fair, I don't order whole grain much so I don't have a huge population for comparison.

Dave

Offline izzi

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:40:09 AM »
Dave, Have you given up using the sprouted whole wheat or still using it?  Any suggestions I may give this one a try.

wordpress