A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza  (Read 902601 times)

Offline pbc

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza
« Reply #1240 on: July 19, 2020, 06:19:09 PM »
Hmm.. So almost identical to the last time. The dough is super soft and seems to Elastic, two pies broke unfortunately while in the oven as the middle becomes too transparent just by picking it up to put onto the Peel.

Would reducing the hydration make it more doughy?

Tasted great though.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1241 on: July 19, 2020, 06:41:21 PM »
Hmm.. So almost identical to the last time. The dough is super soft and seems to Elastic, two pies broke unfortunately while in the oven as the middle becomes too transparent just by picking it up to put onto the Peel.

Would reducing the hydration make it more doughy?

Tasted great though.
pbc,

For now, I think I would reduce the amount of yeast, to something like 0.20%. The reason is that your dough looks overfermented. That could make the dough overly extensible.

Peter

Offline pbc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1242 on: July 19, 2020, 06:51:12 PM »
Will do! Dough was 72 degrees FWIW.

Offline pbc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1243 on: July 25, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
Figures... My KD-8000 won't register weights under about 0.05 ounces. Which is going to make getting the yeast correct impossible.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #1244 on: July 25, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »
Figures... My KD-8000 won't register weights under about 0.05 ounces. Which is going to make getting the yeast correct impossible.

Measure and dissolve a known quantity of yeast into a known quantity of water, then use the percentage of yeast water called for in the recipe.  It's explained on here somewhere, but I can't find the details.

"Letís say youíre making a sponge that calls for 0.2 grams of yeast. That amount would be difficult to measure with even the smallest of measuring spoons. So do something like this: take one gram (1/3 teaspoon) of yeast and disperse it in 100 grams of warm water. Let it stand for a few minutes. Now you have one gram of yeast in 100 grams of water. If you weigh out 20 grams of the yeasted water, it will contain 0.2 grams (or close enough) of yeast. Donít forget to reduce the amount of additional water you put into the sponge by 20 grams."
https://www.wildyeastblog.com/small-scale-thinking/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:23:49 AM by texmex »
Reesa

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1245 on: July 29, 2020, 08:38:55 AM »
Your scale can work  if it performs as advertised, for formulas with at least 705 grams of flour at Peterís recommended 0.2% yeast.
- switch scale display to grams
- 0.05 oz = 1.41 g (lowest # of grams you can measure)
- 1.41 g is 02% of 705 (1.41/0.002 = 1.41)

Good luck.
-Tony

wordpress