Author Topic: What makes mozzarella brown or burn?  (Read 272 times)

Offline rdbedwards

• I Love Pizza!
What makes mozzarella brown or burn?
« on: November 15, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
My question is what is it about some mozzarella that causes it to brown or burn in a wood oven, versus not?  I have attached a photo of my most recent Margherita pizza, and on the left side is my homemade mozzarella (with brown spots) and on the right is a commercial fresh mozzarella (Belgoioso ciliegiene). 

My guess is that it has to do with the moisture content and/or fat content.  I am still learning how to make mozzarella, and my batches have turned out rubbery and very dry.  If I am right that the moisture content is lower, how to do I avoid doing that when making the cheese? 

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: What makes mozzarella brown or burn?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:33:37 PM »
You are probably right that water content matters. I think it also largely has to do with the amount of sugars/carbs in the cheese. Mozz with more fat tends to burn less, but perhaps only because more fat = less sugars.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:54:27 PM »
My only attempt at home made moz burned the same way yours did. Too much good store bought moz here to try making it myself again.
Hans

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 05:15:35 AM »
Try stretching it less.  How do you store it after the stretch?

Offline rdbedwards

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »
It's very possible that the problem was in the stretching.  I've only made mozz a few times, and I've never been able to stretch it and get it to be shiny and soft like the instructions say.  I am using raw whole milk and the cheese is yellow, never white.  This time I did get it to stretch a bit, but it wasn't becoming glossy or soft, it was hard and rubbery, so I gave up on trying to stretch it.  The flavour was excellent though, so I can live with the texture and the burning in the oven, but of course it would be nice to know what I am doing wrong so as to learn and improve. 

I can get some decent store-bought mozzarella di bufala and fior di latte, but even at $5-6 per half gallon of raw milk, it is still cheaper to make my own, and tastes as good or better than the commercial cheese.