A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Thin crust dough recipe from Dino's Gourmet Pizza (St. Paul, MN)  (Read 30844 times)

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Thin crust dough recipe from Dino's Gourmet Pizza (St. Paul, MN)
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2020, 03:19:49 PM »
 Might it also say one (1) cup lemon? I'd start at 1/4-cup and see what happens, then work up in 1/4-cup increments from there to 1-cup.
As strange as the recipe is it wouldn't surprise me if they used ADY but I'd rise above that and use IDY instead and add it on top of the flour.
Keep us posted on your progress.
One other thing, regarding their flour blend, you can essentially duplicate it using the Pillsbury Bread Machine aka Bread Flour available from most supermarkets.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2020, 03:30:34 PM »
Might it also say one (1) cup lemon? I'd start at 1/4-cup and see what happens, then work up in 1/4-cup increments from there to 1-cup.
As strange as the recipe is it wouldn't surprise me if they used ADY but I'd rise above that and use IDY instead and add it on top of the flour.
Keep us posted on your progress.
One other thing, regarding their flour blend, you can essentially duplicate it using the Pillsbury Bread Machine aka Bread Flour available from most supermarkets.

Thanks for the tips, Tom!  I will give this a shot, and will be sure to post my results here, but it will likely be a couple of weeks as we are in the middle of a move to a new home (and new oven!).

I'm in Canada, so we don't have access to most of the flours available in the states.  I do, however, have some King Arthur unbleached bread flour (12.7% protein) that I purchased in the states prior to the pandemic.  Do you think that would be OK?  I've also been told that all (AP) flour in Canada is high protein, so that might work too.

Thanks again for the help!    :chef: :pizza:

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2020, 03:43:44 PM »
The KA bread flour is perfect. ^^^

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2020, 04:18:58 PM »
RE: 1 cup lemon--
in a 30+ lb dough recipe, this works out to just under a tsp per 300g dough ball, for example.  Is that a high amount?  Low?

The 1tsp cinnamon could be a "lucky charm" thing, like, "My yiayia* always put a pinch of cinnamon in every recipe."  Like a sprinkling of fairy dust as a gesture only, because you're right, Tom, a tsp in 30lbs of dough is comical.

*ETA: with all due respect to Greek grandmothers everywhere.  (Don't want to get a rolling pin thrown at my head! :D)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 04:20:37 PM by Garvey »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2020, 05:11:31 PM »
RE: 1 cup lemon--
in a 30+ lb dough recipe, this works out to just under a tsp per 300g dough ball, for example.  Is that a high amount?  Low?

The 1tsp cinnamon could be a "lucky charm" thing, like, "My yiayia* always put a pinch of cinnamon in every recipe."  Like a sprinkling of fairy dust as a gesture only, because you're right, Tom, a tsp in 30lbs of dough is comical.

*ETA: with all due respect to Greek grandmothers everywhere.  (Don't want to get a rolling pin thrown at my head! :D)

yep, it could very well be a lucky charm thing.   :chef:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2020, 06:30:30 PM »
We moved into a new house and I finally have a chance to make this new formulation.  It's my first time baking pizza in this oven, so fingers crossed that I can turn out something decent on the first run.   :chef:

Here is the original formula from the new higher resolution photos posted in reply #85 (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15203.msg635574#msg635574):

3 quarts water
1 quart milk
2 quarts oil
8 eggs
1 cup oregano
1 cup sugar
Pinch salt
1/2 cup garlic powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/8 cup yeast
21 lbs flour

The volume of lemon juice isn't shown in the photos, so here I tried 1/4 cup as suggested by Tom Lehman in reply #100 (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15203.msg635875#msg635875).  I then converted from volume to mass using the calculator at https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/food-volume-to-weight.  I also assumed that 1 egg weighs 1.7 oz or 48.194 grams.  The formulation in mass units is:

2880 g water
892 g milk
1792 g oil
385.552 g eggs
48 g oregano
199.917 g sugar
Pinch salt
77.6 g garlic powder
2.4 g cinnamon
61 g lemon juice
56.7 g yeast
9525.44 g flour

I then scaled this down to a 15" pizza, using a 300 g dough mass for a 14" midwestern-style thin from Garvey's Pizza Factory formulation (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.msg171274#msg171274), which converts to 321.43 g for a 15" pie.  I used olive oil for the oil, 2% milk, ground the oregano with a mortar & pestle, beat the egg, and used IDY and bread flour based on Tom Lehman's suggestion in reply #100 (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15203.msg635875#msg635875).  Oh, I also just added a pinch of salt as in the original formulation haha.  For a 15" pizza, this gives:

58.18 g water
18.02 g milk
36.20 g olive oil
7.79 g egg, beaten
0.97 g oregano
4.04 g sugar
Pinch salt
1.57 g garlic powder
0.05 g cinnamon
1.23 g lemon juice
1.15 g IDY
192.41 g KA bread flour

I added all dry ingredients to my Cuisinart food processor (with the metal chopping blade), and ran it for about 30 seconds to mix the ingredients well.  I then added all liquid ingredients, and processed for about 30 seconds.  This resulted in a grainy dough that didn't come together in the food processor (see photo).  I then removed it from the processor, needed by hand and formed a ball (which formed nicely), and placed into an oiled bowl inside of a gallon ziplock bag. I then placed this into my oven, which I will leave for 5 hours with the light on. I will report back with the results later!   :chef:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:21:11 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2020, 06:35:30 PM »
Just after posting this, I realized that I had converted Garvey's 300 g ball to 321.43 g, using the diameter rather than the area for the conversion.  Doh!  Not sure why this happened, as I'm pretty decent at math.  At any rate, the correct dough mass for a 15" pie should be 344.47 g.  Oh well, I'll do it correctly next time, but for the time being I'll just roll this out to 14" and enjoy the added bit of thickness.   :chef: :pizza:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »
Well, I dunno, I think it turned out pretty awesome!  I had the dough in the oven for 5 hours with the light on, and it had risen a little bit when I took it out.  I then put a ton of sauce on the skin (I like a saucy pie), and 12 ounces of cheese (50:30:20 mozz:white cheddar:prov) haha.  I usually don't use so much cheese, but I was planning to roll this out to 15" originally, and had already weighed out mybcheese. I also put too many toppings on it, which I always do, probably because I'm a glutton, but also because I grew up in Minnesota where this is the norm haha.

So yeah, I mean I thought it worked well.  I guess next time I'll try 1/2 cup of lemon juice to see how that changes things.  Ideally what I'd like to do though, is make two pies at once, each using a different amount of lemon juice.  I think I'd need two ovens to do that though.   :chef:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »
Also, maybe I'm just imagining it, but I'm pretty sure I could taste the cinnamon in the dough.   :chef:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2020, 01:37:35 AM »
Last weekend I made another pie using the formulation from reply #105 (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15203.msg640722#msg640722), except that I assumed a 1/2 cup of lemon juice in the original recipe.  I have my numbers for a 15" pie in a notebook and will post them later, but in the meantime, I just wanted to post some photos.

I made this as a cheeseburger pizza featuring all of the same ingredients as the cheeseburger pizza on Dino's menu (see reply #79; https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15203.msg630252#msg630252), including cooked ground beef, onions, and sliced pickles that I grew and pickled myself.  I used about 10 oz of mozz:cheddar:prov at 50:30:20.  The only change I made is that instead of using a pesto sauce like Dino's did, I used Garvey's Pizza Factory sauce on half of the pie, and a Russian dressing in the other half (https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/russian-dressing-51182860).  The Russian dressing idea was based on Papa John's, who use this on their cheeseburger pizza, and it worked exceedingly well for me.  I'd use it again on a cheeseburger pizza.

Oh, I also used corn oil this time, since I ran out of my cheap olive oil and didn't want to waste my good stuff.

I combined all dry ingredients and added all wet ingredients at once, processing in a Cuisinart for about 30 seconds.  The dough did not come together in the processor, but was easy to combine by hand after that.  This is an oily dough! i rolled it into a ball, and put in an oiled bowl in the oven with the light in for 4-5 hours.  Baked for about 12 minutes at 425 (stone had been preheated at 500).

The result turned out really well imo.  It's a flaky, crunchy crust, and I can absolutely taste the cinnamon in it.  I'm going to try 3/4 cup lemon juice in this weekend's pie.   :chef:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:53:36 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »
I'm just about to make another dough ball.  I'm using the formulation from reply #105 (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15203.msg640722#msg640722), except I'm assuming a value of 3/4 cup lemon juice in the original Dino's formulation.  I'm going to make a 14" pie, and am doing this totally unscientifically by changing the total dough weight to 450 g, which is similar to the total weight from Pete's monical's clone (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,600.msg53313.html#msg53313). This is weird for me because I am actually a scientist, but I have a hankering for a thicker crust tonight. Here are my numbers for a 14-in pie:

80.64 g water
24.98 g milk
50.18 g corn oil
10.80 g egg, beaten
1.34 g oregano
5.60 g sugar
Pinch salt
2.17 g garlic powder
0.07 g cinnamon
5.12 g lemon juice
1.59 g IDY
266.71 g KA bread flour

I'll report back with the results, unless I totally screw something up.   :chef: :pizza:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2020, 05:35:34 PM »
I sifted the flour, combined all dry ingredients and mixed using my Cuisinart food processor, then added all wet ingredients (combined) except lemon juice.  I added the lemon juice separately (last) because when I added it to all of the other wet ingredients last weekend, it curdled the milk.  I processed for about 30 seconds in the Cuisinart.  I then rolled it into a ball, put it in an oiled bowl inside a gallon plastic bag, and will let it rest for 5-6 hours in the oven with the light on.

The dough is very grainy after processing, but comes together instantly when you handle it.  It's actually amazingly soft and pliable.  Does anyone know why it wouldn't form a ball right in the food processor?  Is this a water content thing?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:44:16 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2020, 10:39:10 PM »
The dough had risen quite a bit after sitting for about 4 hours.  I rolled this out to 14", topped with lots of Garvey's PF sauce, cooked ground beef, onions, and 10 ounces of 50:30:20 mozzarella:white cheddar:provolone.  I preheated my stone at 500 for 1 hour, then turned the oven to 425 after I launched the pie.  Cooked for 12 minutes, with broiler on high for the last 4 minutes.

The pie turned out well.  This is a nice, oily, crumbly, biscuity crust.  I liked the extra thickness that I got by using a bigger dough ball.  I feel like the bottom of the crust is a bit drier than I'd like, so I'm going to stop preheating the stone at 500, and just use 425 instead.  I'm getting nice coloration on the bottom though, I guess this is from the milk and sugar?

I'm honestly having a tough time telling what effect the changes in lemon juice is having.  I Ithink it's because so much time passes between each pizza.  I'm going to try it again next weekend, assuming 1 cup of lemon juice in the original recipe.  I think what I'll have to ultimately do though is make 2 pies together, one assuming 1/4 cup and the other 1 cup lemon juice.  Tom Lehman, what effect do you expect the lemon juice should be having?  What should I be looking for?   :chef:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 10:41:22 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2020, 12:57:01 AM »
I made this again, but assuming 1 cup of lemon juice in the original recipe.  I'll post my formulation later, but just wanted to make a couple of quick notes before I forget.

This pizza was perfect - definately the best version of this formulation I've ever made, and one of the best pizzas I've made in a while.  I made the dough and let rest in a covered bowl in the oven with the light on for 4 hours.  This time, instead of preheating the stone at 500 and then reducing to 425 after launching the pie, I preheated and cooked at 425.  The crust was perfect, and much moister than the last few iterations I've made.  This is a delicious crust, buttery and crispy, and somewhat biscuit-like.  It reminds me of a deep dish dough, or home run.  It's a winner for sure, and I hope other folks try this out some time.

I also noticed that the crust was much more airy than previous versions, with little pockets of air bubbles throughout.  I'm not sure if this was from the extra lemon juice, or because the stone was at a lower temp (which might allow the crust to rise a bit more before setting) - would welcome any opinions on this.  This crust was very nice.

Preheated stone at 425 for 1 hour, cooked for 13 minutes, with broiler on high for the last 3 minutes.  Next weekend, I'm going to prepare two doughs, one assuming 1/4 cup lemon juice in the original recipe, and the other assuming 1 cup.  Then I can do a proper side-by-side comparison.

EDIT: here is the formulation I used for a 14" pie.  This was a 450g ball.

80.64g water
24.98g 2% milk
50.18g corn oil
10.8g egg, beaten
1.34g oregano
5.6g sugar
Pinch salt
2.17g garlic powder
0.07g cinnamon powder
4.92g lemon juice
1.59g IDY
266.71g bread flour
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 02:57:38 AM by CDNpielover »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »
Looks great!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady