A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Steak!  (Read 102010 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Steak!
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:38:08 PM »
Here's how we like our steak. 2" thick and grilled over as hot a pecan wood fire as we can get. Crispy on the outside and cool and darn near raw on the inside. Smeared after the picture was taken with a paste of fresh garlic and salt ground under the blade of a chef's knife.

CL
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:39:49 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Steak!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
Craig,  nice work as usual.  You gotta do some of those in your oven,  its crazy.  Full pizza temps,  preheat a cast iron grill pan....  minute or two... 

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:53:03 AM »
craig, that is known as 'pittsburgh rare' if you visit the greater pittsburgh area.   i've yet to run across a chef, cook, or resturant that doesn't know what it is.  down south, i doubt they know the name as that, though
Wherever you go, there you are.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:38 AM »
craig, that is known as 'pittsburgh rare' if you visit the greater pittsburgh area.   i've yet to run across a chef, cook, or resturant that doesn't know what it is.  down south, i doubt they know the name as that, though

Give us rednecks a little credit... ???

Most of the time though we'd just say we want it "still mooing" when we order...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 04:29:06 PM »
That, Craig, makes my mouth water! Love the caramelized crust and tender inside.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
Just walk it past the radiator  :P
look more like ahi tuna.
But I would eat it for sure!
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »
  down south, i doubt they know the name as that, though

That is what I call "black and blue"

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
I still haven't stuck one in the oven yet, but this one from the pit at the deer camp, cooked over pecan limbs, was pretty exceptional. Drank a 2007 Beringer Reserve Cab with it. Young, primal, hedonistic - just right.

CL

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:27:45 AM »
Horrible.....just horrible, looks like crap.....why would you serve that to people you care about and put them thru such a meal?? And where's the ketchup to choke it down????

Jon  ;D
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
More for me then!  ;D

Phar Lap

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »
Craig,

I have been meaning to add to this thread for a awhile, and last night's Christmas dinner finally provided the opportunity:

1) 100% grass-fed/grass-finished NY Striplion that I hand-cut to +/- 9 ounce filets of goodness, marinated and then rubbed 30 minutes before cooking; pan-broiled--(seared for 3 minutes in a cast iron pan, and then finished in the pan for 4 minutes in a 375 degree oven; if you have never prepared steak using the pan-broil method, I highly recommend giving it a try!); and lastly, top with lobster meat sauteed in butter and fresh sliced garlic--(this is New England afterall  ;D); and,

2) paired with a 2008 Volnay, which is my absolute favorite French burgundy.

We awoke on Christmas morning to snow flurries and a fresh dusting on the ground,  my 5 year-old passionately proclaimed this the best Christmas ever mid-morning, and my 1.5 year-old discovered the hours of unique joy from watching a  Slinky "walk" down the stairs...they were fast asleep by the time the steak was served, so the Missus and I got to enjoy this meal in total peace in front of the fire...a Merry Christmas indeed!!

Happy Holidays!

Adam

Offline aks801

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 01:38:33 PM »
Heck yeah we know what Pittsburgh style means!

Cooked up NY Strips yesterday for the grown-ups and my oldest daughter, and some nice little filets for the two chirruns who eat steak (my son is not a beef-eater.  yet.).  Rubbed them down with corn oil, kosher salt, and coarse ground black pepper, then cooked them over high heat on the Weber kettle (the filets were off a touch to the side).  They all came out between medium rare and rare (more to the rare side).  I like mine a little more pink than red, so I did a 60 second cook-up on it.

Ahhh......
alan in Katy, TX

"Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss."
 - Pete Townshend

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
Looking MIGHTY fine there.
Jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 05:19:42 AM »
Looks a tad raw to me. :-\

But I'm one of those people that loves a choice porterhouse extra well done. :P
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:21:45 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 09:10:48 AM »
These photos almost makes me want to eat red meat again. :D
Don

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »
Looks a tad raw to me. :-\

But I'm one of those people that loves a choice porterhouse extra well done. :P

Aaaarrrggghhhhhhaaaaa.......git a rope!! Well done's for chicken and turkey!

Jon ;-)
Jon

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 06:49:06 AM »
Aaaarrrggghhhhhhaaaaa.......git a rope!! Well done's for chicken and turkey!

Jon ;-)

Seriously, I'll take a one pound ribeye or porterhouse and roast it on my grill until almost all the fat is rendered out and eat it sizzling bite by bite right off the grill with some sweet corn and a potato. Add a bit of A-1.... MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SUMMER!!!!!!!!! :)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:51:54 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Phar Lap

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 06:20:47 PM »
Another Steak:

- 14 ounce grass-fed Rib Eye, pan-broiled as previously described;
- Topped with a Beurre Rouge, which sounds fancy enough, but is really just a simple, but delicious, sauce made by deglazing the pan the steak was cooked in with shallots, red wine, butter, and parsley;
- Paired with a 2008 Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon in homage to Craig and Norma from their recent pizza-fanatics trip to to NYC  ;D  

Adam
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:22:24 PM by Phar Lap »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »
Another Steak:

- 14 ounce grass-fed Rib Eye, pan-broiled as previously described;
- Topped with a Beurre Rouge, which sounds fancy enough, but is really just a simple, but delicious, sauce made by deglazing the pan the steak was cooked in with shallots, red wine, butter, and parsley;
- Paired with a 2008 Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon in homage to Craig and Norma from their recent pizza-fanatics trip to to NYC  ;D  

Adam

Adam,

Your Rib Eye pan broiled looked delicious too!  :) The wine picture is also making me thirsty for more.  I said to Steve since I couldn’t find the 2008 Mondavi Cabernet Savignon I thought what I bought was a littler drier than what Craig bought me in NY.  We have laws in our state that liquor stores aren’t open on Sundays, so no Mondavi Cabernet Savignon wine for me today.

Norma

Phar Lap

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
Norma,

Thanks! 

I got my undergrad at Dickinson in Carlisle, PA, so I am well-acquainted with the unique PA liquor laws  ;D  Hang-in there...you should be able to find the 2008 Mondavi Cab. for +/- $25 a bottle...it is decent wine.

Adam

wordpress