A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Steak!  (Read 100931 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Steak!
« Reply #1020 on: May 29, 2018, 11:59:09 PM »
Looks awesome!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #1021 on: June 02, 2018, 08:40:07 PM »
My favorite fuel for steak: pecan.

I almost always use pecan when I smoke. Oak is my second choice, cherry is pretty good also. Hickory and mesquite can be a little overpowering.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1022 on: June 03, 2018, 02:42:36 AM »
Beautiful steak (and cab)!
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1023 on: June 03, 2018, 09:10:08 AM »
Steak!

Nice, I want one of those for breakfast
Deb

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1024 on: June 04, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
I'm great at overcooking steak...but  the way you have it is the way  I want it.  It looks so great!..How do you monitor for that doneness...just experience, or touch, or instant-read thermometer  ?

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1025 on: June 04, 2018, 01:40:45 PM »
I'm great at overcooking steak...but  the way you have it is the way  I want it.  It looks so great!..How do you monitor for that doneness...just experience, or touch, or instant-read thermometer  ?

Looks like screaming hot fire.  Char on one side, flip, char on the other.  Done.
John

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1026 on: June 04, 2018, 04:36:42 PM »
Makes sense  :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1027 on: June 04, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
Looks like screaming hot fire.  Char on one side, flip, char on the other.  Done.

That's it, and with a bit of practice you call tell the internal temp to within a couple degrees by the resistance to pressure when you push on the steak.

Here is how I was first taught to judge doneness by touch in my first job in a kitchen:

Rare: press on the meaty part of your hand right below the thumb. That's what it feels like.
Medium-rare: put your thumb and index finger together loosely and press on the same area.
Medium: put your thumb and middle finger together and press on the same place.
Medium well: put your thumb and third finger together and press on the same place
Well: same thing but put your thumb and pinky together.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1028 on: June 05, 2018, 07:01:58 AM »
Thanks Craig...this is really helpful..I'm saving that list.

My current grill won't come anywhere neat that heat..it's ancient and it's natural gas with lava rocks ...that's not good is it?

When this gets replaced, can propane do the job..or do I need wood to get those kind of results?  Maybe there are some grills that can do both ( I think Willard's can, but is outside my budget)?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #1029 on: June 05, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »
Maybe there are gas grill powerful enough to cook like that, but I use wood.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1030 on: June 05, 2018, 09:35:09 AM »
Bill,

I use the touch method as well to determine doneness but an inexpensive meat thermometer is a great tool while you acquire the requisite experience. Something like this will pay for itself the first time it prevents you from overcooking an expensive cut of meat:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077N9T555/?tag=pmak-20

best,

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1031 on: June 05, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
Thanks Craig..

Thanks QD...I have that exact one and use it for dough and meat...I just need to remember to take meat off heat a few degrees early since it continues to cook

Offline Hermit

• I make do with what I have
« Reply #1032 on: June 10, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »
Hoping the drain field helps with marbling  :-D. This mornings intruders, 5 cows and 2 goats, luckily no bulls

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #1033 on: June 24, 2018, 04:13:28 AM »
What do guys think of this?

It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline petef

« Reply #1034 on: June 24, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »
What do guys think of this?

I did my own test a few years ago, but with some differences from the video posted here. First off, I seasoned my steaks with oil, salt & pepper about 15 minutes prior to grilling, and I did not measure the internal temperature. Instead, I grilled them both about 4 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other side such that they looked and felt med-rare.

My conclusion was that the frozen steak was indeed more med-rare than the thawed steak, but noticeably tougher and less tasty due to the seasonings not fully absorbed into the meat. 

So the true answer for people who season their steaks prior to grilling is to PARTIALLY THAW the steak such that the outer 1/8" to 1/4" is thawed and the center is still frozen. This way you get the best of both worlds, and the seasoning gets a chance to absorb into the meat 15 mins before grilling and when you grill it, it's much easier to achieve the med-rare condition. The end result is both tender and tasty because the salt & seasonings has adequately done their jobs. 

--pete--
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:45:27 AM by petef »

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #1035 on: August 03, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
This was the rarest steak I ever made and ate (leftover T-Bone from last night) - gonna be part of my steak and egg breakfast !

PS. It was really tasty!
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #1036 on: August 06, 2018, 08:10:48 AM »
Cold smoked dry aged porterhouse from last night.... Steak and dipping sauce was great!
Norm

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #1037 on: August 06, 2018, 08:28:05 AM »
Interesting. I don't think I've ever had a cold smoked steak. Did you happen to take a "crumb" shot?

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #1038 on: August 06, 2018, 08:43:31 AM »
It was dry aged for four days - lost about 8% of its starting weight - 684g down to 622g
Did the cold smoke (mesquite) with a smoking gun - it got two shoots (about 2 hours total) - easy to do and makes a difference.

No photos from last night - I had two 3 finger glasses of scotch in me and I was hungry  :-D

Just snapped this - leftovers from the tender side - dipping sauce was so so good - I really recommend you try it - if you would rather make a compound butter out of it -- that would work too.

Norm

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #1039 on: August 06, 2018, 08:51:20 AM »
That sounds good. Thank you.