A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Steak!  (Read 102000 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Steak!
« Reply #1040 on: August 08, 2018, 11:45:49 AM »
I've read conflicting views on the safety of dry aging steaks at home. Is anyone here doing it?
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #1041 on: August 08, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
I have done a 4 day just in the refer in my garage which stays at 33 degrees. Alton Brown did a good eats episode detailing how to do this - for longer cold aging you can buy special bags (link below) to do it safely w/o special equipment.

I have some of those those special bags but have not tried them yet since you need to do a big chuck of meat in them. With the AB method you can do one or two steaks pretty easy. I noticed a difference, I'll bet after 21 days when the enzymes have had more time and the meat drops more moister it must be even better.

In four days the steak I aged dropped ~8% (in weight, all water) that really helped concentrate the steak flavor - and it was still eaten before its sell by date - let me know and I'll dig up the season and episode number if you want to check out the AB show.

Also smoke guns work great - picked up a cheep on on amazon and have used it and been impressed with the results several times.

https://www.drybagsteak.com
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #1042 on: August 08, 2018, 12:45:01 PM »
It was season 14 E 1 - porterhouse rules
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1043 on: August 08, 2018, 10:01:00 PM »
thanks norm!
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1044 on: April 04, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »
anything good about sirloin tip roast....can you cut it to make a proper high heat steak?

thank you    :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1045 on: April 04, 2019, 01:21:21 PM »
Done to medium rare, rested and cut very thin across the grain, it can make great sandwiches with some jus to dunk in. Otherwise, dice for Stroganoff or goulash as it can be tough.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1046 on: April 04, 2019, 02:19:02 PM »
Done to medium rare, rested and cut very thin across the grain, it can make great sandwiches with some jus to dunk in. Otherwise, dice for Stroganoff or goulash as it can be tough.

thanks!

ha.....'jus to dunk in'....can always count on jon for a proper tip. thank you.
i have used this roast for my chicago italian beefs.....machine sliced paper thin....bottom round works also, traditional i guess.

thought i read somewhere txcraig said bottom part of sirloin tip roast was where flap meat/steaks come from....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1047 on: April 04, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
Flap/bavette comes from the short loin trim near the abdomen, VERY tasty! That and hanger steak some of the best on the cow!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #1048 on: April 10, 2019, 08:23:55 PM »
 Filet with broccoli and rice using the boiling in water method. It's my 6th time using the method and perfect rice every time. I have tried the reverse sear method and searing the steak first then the finish in a 250 degree oven. This steak was pulled at 127 degrees. I tend to get more consistent results by searing first. Now that the weather is getting warmer I may give the Webber a try at searing the steak then setting it off to the cool side to finish. Of course I will use some pecan chunks for a smokey flavor.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1049 on: April 26, 2019, 01:30:12 AM »
Flap steak seasoned with carne asada seasoning, grilled to a nice med rare, finished with lime after slicing and a piece of toasted English muffin bread :drool:
Jon

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1050 on: April 26, 2019, 06:25:56 AM »
Loyal dog awaits his due :)

That steak looks so great!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1051 on: April 26, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
Yup, licking her chops!!! Thing is,I could have left that steak right there and mowed the lawn and other than a couple sniffs, meat would've still been there!!
Jon

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1052 on: April 26, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »
That's impressive. Here, the meat would be long gone, and anything left hidden behind the sofa :-D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1053 on: April 26, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »
The first day I brought her home she ate a double batch of my wife's butter sugar cookie dough and another 4 sticks of butter she had out on the counter for another batch! Vet said she could've died from pancreatitis from that much fat!!! She was pretty sick for a few days and had to go out to poop about a hundred times! Never ate anything off the counter again, not even off the coffee table at her nose!!!🤣
Jon

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1054 on: April 26, 2019, 11:27:19 AM »
Rough lesson, glad she was okay!

We once  left a just-baked-for-Thanksgiving  Sally Lunn bread on the kitchen table .and briefly left the house but didn't pay attention to the chair waiting to be used as a step to the table top. 

When we returned we saw the bread had been generously sampled...about 1/3 of the loaf! . No time to bake another to bring to the family gathering. So...we sliced away sections with canine toothmarks and  and served the rest  :-D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1055 on: June 10, 2019, 12:45:06 AM »
Bavette/flap steak, marinated in a chimichurri sauce overnite and grilled on the Big Easy Grill to a nice rare/med rare! Sliced and topped with caramelized onions and mushrooms on a tortilla. A little cauliflower potato salad to side!
Jon

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1056 on: June 10, 2019, 12:51:10 AM »
Bavette/flap steak, marinated in a chimichurri sauce overnite and grilled on the Big Easy Grill to a nice rare/med rare! Sliced and topped with caramelized onions and mushrooms on a tortilla. A little cauliflower potato salad to side!

Nice!  I posted this in the taco thread.  Find it.

John

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1057 on: June 10, 2019, 12:56:03 AM »
Jon! looks so great! Did you make the marinade or is it commercial ?

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1058 on: June 10, 2019, 01:10:36 AM »
Nice!  I posted this in the taco thread.  Find it.

I might have of that, but it's probably due to be replaced!

Jon! looks so great! Did you make the marinade or is it commercial ?

I embellished this a bit with some Sazón seasoning, extra garlic and extra red wine, wasn't too bad, fresh would've been better,  great sub though!
The dry chimichurri rocks in the potato salad with some fresh dill too!! :drool:
Jon

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1059 on: June 10, 2019, 01:12:13 AM »
Thanks Jon!