A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Steak!  (Read 99024 times)

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Steak!
« Reply #1060 on: September 07, 2019, 09:16:25 AM »
I always buy ribeye or strip, but was gifted a bunch of this:  https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut/2501/shoulder-petite-tender

I like it.

EDIT:  I grilled one tonight.  I REALLY like it.  Lean, tender, juicy, beefy.  Words that don't usually go together.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:25:22 PM by jkb »
John

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1061 on: September 08, 2019, 12:23:21 AM »
I always buy ribeye or strip, but was gifted a bunch of this:  https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut/2501/shoulder-petite-tender

I like it.

EDIT:  I grilled one tonight.  I REALLY like it.  Lean, tender, juicy, beefy.  Words that don't usually go together.
I’ve had good results SVing some of the parts from the chuck. Quite a few people here have mentioned grilling some of the cuts from the chuck. It’s a confusing primal to me. Jon knows his way around it pretty well.
-Tony

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1062 on: September 08, 2019, 01:10:35 PM »
I love steaks from the chuck. Tons of great fat and flavor. We had chuck eye steaks last night - seared in butter w/ fresh garlic and fresh herbs.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #1063 on: September 08, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »
I love steaks from the chuck. Tons of great fat and flavor. We had chuck eye steaks last night - seared in butter w/ fresh garlic and fresh herbs.

Thats what my browned chuck roasts look like before they go into my pressure cooker for pot roast or stroganoff.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1064 on: September 08, 2019, 05:10:03 PM »
Lots of good videos on youtube for breaking down a whole chuck roll into stew meat, grilling steaks, burger meat.........very versatile hunk of meat!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #1065 on: September 08, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
If you ever see "7-bone steaks" give them a try, and the more the bone looks like a "7", the better the steak. Cut from the chuck:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15521.msg472801#msg472801

The "chuck eye" steak is the top right part of the pictures in the link above.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #1066 on: September 08, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »
If you ever see "7-bone steaks" give them a try, and the more the bone looks like a "7", the better the steak. Cut from the chuck:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15521.msg472801#msg472801

The "chuck eye" steak is the top right part of the pictures in the link above.

For some reason in my area of the US, Ribeye is cheaper then Chuck. Every few months chucks will go on sale for $4/lb and ribeye $5/lb every 4 weeks. So you find ribeye cheaper then chuck most of the time.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #1067 on: September 08, 2019, 07:11:18 PM »
For some reason in my area of the US, Ribeye is cheaper then Chuck. Every few months chucks will go on sale for $4/lb and ribeye $5/lb every 4 weeks. So you find ribeye cheaper then chuck most of the time.

It is here the same way a lot of the time. I don't get it. I guess it's a loss-leader thing to get people in the door. Ribeye ads probably draw in more [unsophisticated] folks than chuck steaks  :-D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1068 on: September 08, 2019, 07:24:03 PM »
It is here the same way a lot of the time. I don't get it. I guess it's a loss-leader thing to get people in the door. Ribeye ads probably draw in more [unsophisticated] folks than chuck steaks  :-D

Like the Costco GIANT rotisserie chickens for $4.99, bring them in for it so they buy a bunch of other stuff on the way out!!! Hard to buy a raw chicken that size for that price! They are making money, but not on the chicken!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1069 on: September 08, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »
Like the Costco GIANT rotisserie chickens for $4.99, bring them in for it so they buy a bunch of other stuff on the way out!!! Hard to buy a raw chicken that size for that price! They are making money, but not on the chicken!!!
I recently read that their total profit as a company amounts to the membership fees they collect.
-Tony

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1070 on: September 08, 2019, 07:52:16 PM »

Yep.... They sure don't cook the chicken at the front of the store!!  😜
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #1071 on: September 08, 2019, 08:35:01 PM »

The rotisserie chicken is also probably a lot smaller than any raw chicken you can buy.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1072 on: September 08, 2019, 08:38:07 PM »
Not at Sam's club.... Big birds! 🐔🍗

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1073 on: September 08, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »
The rotisserie chicken is also probably a lot smaller than any raw chicken you can buy.

Whole chickens are often 69 or 79 cents a pound around here.  They're 4lbs +.  I wish I could buy those small rotisserie chickens.  On the plus side,  I can't do rotisserie chicken at home and $5-6 for a chicken and a qt. of stock isn't a bad deal.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:09:30 PM by jkb »
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1074 on: September 08, 2019, 09:42:06 PM »

I agree at our local supermarkets they are on the scrawny side and want 7--9 bucks for them. These Costco ones don't hardly fit in the same sized containers! Hands down, the biggest I've bought and get them all the time when in the area. I've said before, worth a membership just to grab one of those now and then!
Jon

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1075 on: September 08, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
   Wow... You guys crack Bob up man!!  🤣

wordpress