A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to get sauce to be thicker  (Read 593 times)

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
How to get sauce to be thicker
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
I've been trying to follow Tong G's Pizza Bible sauce's and also from help here.  But they seem to be watery and I want to know what the tip is to make them thicker.  Possibly it's my technique.

I have used both Cento Marzano tomatoes and Alta Cucina.  What I do is take out 5 or so tomatoes only and hand crush them and then mix them with some tomato paste.  Then I will add salt and some oregano and spoon mix.

What I am looking for is sauce as seen in this video, at the 1:15 mark:

It looks very thick.  I am guessing he is taking many tomatoes and blending them? Am I using just not enough tomatoes to make it thick? Is it because I am hand crushing and not blending?

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Re: How to get sauce to be thicker
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »

Try adding paste.

Offline bale

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »
I use a variation of the method described by Jeff Varasano in his recipe: http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm

In short, crush the tomatoes with their juice with an immersion blender and let them drain on a fine mesh sieve. It has worked well for me.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
Or, just add some raw garlic and or onion (garlic or onion powder works well too) to your sauce, refrigerate it over night and thicker sauce you will have.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »
I see on the shelf in the video cans of Alta Cucina, 7/11 and Valoroso. Which do you think he is using for this sauce? (Or a blend?)

I have a immersion blender being delivered tomorrow and will try that as well.  Raw garlic or onion thickens the sauce? Did not know this!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:24:21 PM »
Be careful when using immersion blenders as they can easily puree your tomato product resulting in the sauce exhibiting significant syneresis upon standing. I've always found a more gently mixing action to be better. If you are using the blender to break up tomato product use a slower speed if possible and don't get too carried away.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline 6547377

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »
I've been trying to follow Tong G's Pizza Bible sauce's and also from help here.  But they seem to be watery and I want to know what the tip is to make them thicker.  Possibly it's my technique.

I have used both Cento Marzano tomatoes and Alta Cucina.  What I do is take out 5 or so tomatoes only and hand crush them and then mix them with some tomato paste.  Then I will add salt and some oregano and spoon mix.

What I am looking for is sauce as seen in this video, at the 1:15 mark:

It looks very thick.  I am guessing he is taking many tomatoes and blending them? Am I using just not enough tomatoes to make it thick? Is it because I am hand crushing and not blending?

try ordering stanislaus extra heavy tomato puree and tomato magic.

add 14oz of the puree and 14oz of tomato magic. or you can add 28oz of the stanislaus and then 14oz of tomato magic. YOU HAVE TO USE THOSE TWO BRANDS OF TOMATOS TO ACHIEVE THE RICH AND THICK CONSISTANSY. I have worked in pizza places in chicago and know a thing or two about sauce brands. note you cannot find this in a store you will have to special order them online or at a GFS

wordpress