A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Portioning  (Read 311 times)

Offline dmac2828

• I Love Pizza!
Portioning
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
Hey guys,

I was just wonder what methods you use for portioning.

I've seen portioning cups that are mark, and digital measuring cups that read the weight as you scoop the ingredients.

What do you guys do?

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
Re: Portioning
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »
I have prep bowls that I weigh everything in on a digital scale.  Nothing fancy.  I also have little stainless steel condiment cups I use for the lesser ingredients like ADY, salt, etc.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
I weigh all of my ingredients.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough doctor

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
  Like the Doctor said..."I weigh all of my ingredients." It's the only way you will get consistent results. You can get a good digital scale for around $20 or so. Here are a few from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Kitchen-Scales/b?ie=UTF8&node=678508011&tag=pmak-20  Your best tool for making great pies is the Pizza Dough Calculator. https://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-tools.html  With it you can make almost any style crust. When it comes to making pizza...There are no dumb questions. Good luck with your journey to pizza Heaven. Here is the ingredients breakdown for one of my pies using the dough calculator, it's sort of a NY style.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:03:43 PM »
The scale that I use is the KD-8000 (someone here put me onto it). This is a really great scale with lots of weighing capacity plus you can change modes too, anymore I use it for just about everything from making apple butter, peach preserves, jerky, various cakes, bread & butter pickles, even all of my doughs are weighed on this scale. It operates on regular flashlight batteries and I still have the original set in the scale after two years now. It cost me about $30.00 with free shipping, one of my better investments!
If you are only going to make enough dough for a single pizza though you might want to look for something with a smaller scaling range and one that weighs down into decimals of a gram. The KD-8000 only weighs to the nearest 2-grams which is fine for me as I usually make enough dough for at least 3 of whatever I'm making.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline dmac2828

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »
I guess I didn't ask the right question.

During a rushing, you want consistent portioning on toppings, but don't want to have to grab a tabletop scale and a bowl or have to lift a pizza over the scale down the line every time.

I'm starting to lean toward something like this

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/taylor-digital-measuring-cup-and-food-scale/1041385715?skuId=41385715&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenfoodprep_&product_id=41385715&adpos=1o5&creative=43742640949&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiAq8bEBRDuuOuyspf5oyMSJAAcsEyWEU-jcJOVSdHqPTtvVi6WY2XqXlol5mcfdCt6BkZI7xoCQOjw_wcB

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »
You say "during the rush" are you a pizzeria or other volume producer? If so the jury is divided, some use commercial portioning cups while others (Domino's), (Papa John's) use scales to control topping weights. Take cheese for example, average of 75-pizzas a day and 1-ounce heave on cheese for each pizza equals 75-ounces/4.68-pounds of unaccounted for cheese every day X 7 = 32.81-pounds a week or 1,706.25-pounds a year X cheese cost at let's say $3.50 per pound = $5,971.88 loss per year X how many stores?
If you are just making pizzas at home the scale you are looking at will probably work just fine but speaking for myself, if I know that I've got three pizzas that I have to dress and get into an oven post haste I like to have my ingredients preassembled (weighed in separate containers, low cost paper cups work great for this) so all I have to do is grab and toss but if it's for me and the family forget the portion control on the toppings, I just use the grab and toss method of dressing my pizzas. I've never had any complaints that there was too much or too little of anything.
When I'm building a new or different pizza for the first time I place the skin on a screen which then goes onto a scale, zero the scale, add sauce or whatever the first topping ingredient will be until it looks right to me, make a note of the weight and re-zero the scale, add the next ingredient until it looks right and make a note of the weight, next ingredient, etc. This way the pizza is dressed the way I like it and I know how much of each ingredient I've used so if I need to make an adjustment in the future I can always go back and replicate the original toppings and adjust the weight of any specific topping, like the time my son said it was a great pizza BUT there were not enough green olives (his favorite topping) on the pizza, so being the loving dad that I am I went back and looked to see how much green olive I had put onto his pizza, I then doubled the amount for HIS pizzas and he is now a happy camper.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
The scale that I use is the KD-8000 (someone here put me onto it). This is a really great scale with lots of weighing capacity plus you can change modes too, anymore I use it for just about everything from making apple butter, peach preserves, jerky, various cakes, bread & butter pickles, even all of my doughs are weighed on this scale. It operates on regular flashlight batteries and I still have the original set in the scale after two years now. It cost me about $30.00 with free shipping, one of my better investments!
If you are only going to make enough dough for a single pizza though you might want to look for something with a smaller scaling range and one that weighs down into decimals of a gram. The KD-8000 only weighs to the nearest 2-grams which is fine for me as I usually make enough dough for at least 3 of whatever I'm making.

Tom,

I have the same scale for years. Very good product.

Have you tried the Baker's Percent function? It's a nifty little feature to scale quickly up and down any formulation.
Mike

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »
My mind is wired to think in bakers%.

wordpress