Author Topic: Restaurant Depot Tomatoes  (Read 531 times)

Offline peetzabone

Restaurant Depot Tomatoes
« on: November 19, 2016, 06:25:55 PM »
So I snuck into the store in Kansas City (or maybe they let the public walk in) and saw all the goodies.

https://twitter.com/Sonofawhatthe/status/798263599663841280

Of course I couldn't buy anything being a joe public with no tax ID. So VERY frustrating. I want the tomatoes 3x more than I should simply because I can't have them! I didn't have cash on me or I would have asked someone to buy something for me like underage drinkers do in liquor store parking lots.

I used to be able to buy 6-n-1 in 28oz cans in Denver at a deli but so far I can't find anyone, anywhere, anyhow selling Escalon or Stanislaus products in Nebraska.

My wife has a consulting business that she owns. If she makes me an agent of her business will Restaurant Depot let me get a membership even though it's not food related?

Soooo.. what's next for me and my tomato yearning? I know I can get 6-n-1 at PennMac but with shipping it's almost $5/ for a 28oz can. Sigh.  Heavy sigh when I just had #10 can of Tomato Magic in my hands for less than $5

Tomato Magic on Amazon = $20. 4x warehouse price.

I haven't checked my local pizzerias to find out what they use and if they would sell to me.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
Re: Restaurant Depot Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
KCBS membership will get you in:  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36016.0

If she has a (sales) tax ID#, I think you're good to go.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:58:29 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Offline italdream

• Supporting Member
  • Fatte ‘na pizza c’a pummarola ‘ncoppa
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 11:22:07 AM »
My wife has a consulting business that she owns. If she makes me an agent of her business will Restaurant Depot let me get a membership even though it's not food related?
Unfortunately, this is heavily dependent on the person that process your application. When I joined you could get a temporary membership online, then you would go in a store to get it finalized.
Typically, in the store, they do not ask questions about the nature of the business, but are pretty strict in requiring documentation regarding the actual operation of the business, especially a federal Tax ID or other evidence.
With that in mind, a client is a client, so I would try to go with your wife's business. As the prior poster said, with a Tax ID they will likely let you in. No harm trying...

BTW their S. Marzano tomatoes are excellent and the price is pretty good. It comes in a big can, so I jar it in smaller containers and refrigerate.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:24:47 AM by italdream »
Pizza Party Passione | Alive and Kicking
Blackstone | Semiretired
Kettle Grill Insert | Dumped
Little Black Egg | Retired with Honors
Modified Pizza Bella | Retired with Honors

Offline boalpd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:40:56 AM »
     I just got my membership thru the KCBS agreement. I contacted Restaurant Depot thru their website and asked if they were still honoring the KCBS agreement. The local RD manager callled me and told me yes come on in.

Phil

Offline peetzabone

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:34:17 PM »
     I just got my membership thru the KCBS agreement. I contacted Restaurant Depot thru their website and asked if they were still honoring the KCBS agreement. The local RD manager callled me and told me yes come on in.

Phil

If I lived in town it would be worth it for sure. But as an occasional traveler the $35 membership wouldn't pay for itself yearly.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »
I have a sales tax license for non restaurant business, that is non operational.  I filled out the application online, and picked up my cards in store.  They didn't ask any questions.  They want EIN number or something, but it wasn't required to get the memberships cards.  They told me just to bring it in some other time and they would update my info.  I have never applied for an EIN, and RD has never asked me for it since. 

Offline dms

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
If I lived in town it would be worth it for sure. But as an occasional traveler the $35 membership wouldn't pay for itself yearly.

I live quite close to an RD, so I shop there more often than I would otherwise, but $35 is pretty easy to save there, even if you restrict yourself to pizza stuff.  My local RD has top tier saputo moz for about $2.30 a pound, in six poud loafs (less, if you buy a case); that's half what the supermarket charges for not-as-good cheese (they have the sargento the supermarket sells, too, if you wanted for some reason, at ~$2 a pound).  They've got reasonably good pre-sliced peperoni, at good prices, and not in huge quantity.  They have an okay selection of flours, at good prices.  (I buy Kyrol  and ceresota from them; they have different brands in different regions.).  Two or three visits a year would probably make you even. 

I get other stuff there, as well.  Helps to have freezer space, of course. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 08:33:30 PM »
Just set up an LLC or corporation or register a name.  It doesn't cost much or anything, and that is all RD asked me for.  I set up mine as "Pizza Anarchy".  I hardly every buy anything, maybe a couple hundred bucks spread over the last 4 years.