A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tins of crushed tomatoes in the UK  (Read 491 times)

Offline ah99

• I Love Pizza!
Tins of crushed tomatoes in the UK
« on: December 28, 2016, 06:15:03 AM »
Hi all

I'm based in the UK, am new to this board and to pizza making, and have a question about buying crushed tomatoes in the UK. Does anyone have any experience of UK brands that come close to the quality, consistency and taste of Escalon 6 in 1/Sclafani, etc. that they can recommend, please?

Am having difficulty finding any of the brands talked about on this board at a reasonable price. Just found a tin of 6 in 1 for just shy of Ģ91 on Amazon for 6lb 9 oz!

Thanks
A
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:33:10 AM by ah99 »

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
Re: Tins of crushed tomatoes in the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »
Hi all

I'm based in the UK, am new to this board and to pizza making, and have a question about buying crushed tomatoes in the UK. Does anyone have any experience of UK brands that come close to the quality, consistency and taste of Escalon 6 in 1/Sclafani, etc. that they can recommend, please?

Am having difficulty finding any of the brands talked about on this board at a reasonable price. Just found a tin of 6 in 1 for just shy of Ģ91 on Amazon for 6lb 9 oz!

Thanks
A

Thatś an absurd price, donīt even buy it.

Plus youīd have no way of storing it.

You guys probally get a better deal on CENTO San Marazonos maybe.since your closer to Italy.

But I could be wrong.

Go and try out tasting as manny different cans of crushed tomatoes as possible.
If itś bad out the can, donīt use it.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:48:39 AM »
A lot of people set their pizza efforts way back by obsessing over and seeking out certain brands/products. It's almost a certainty that you have everything you need to make great pizza available to you locally.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ah99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »
A lot of people set their pizza efforts way back by obsessing over and seeking out certain brands/products. It's almost a certainty that you have everything you need to make great pizza available to you locally.

Thanks guys. I've begun experimenting! Plenty to choose from.

Offline PizzaForno

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »
These are the ones I use when I don't want to open a big 2.5kg tin of san marzano. They are good if left alone, they just
need a quick blast in the processor and a pinch salt.
Cirio Plum Tomatoes - you can get them in Waitrose

Offline JSPACEMAN

• Pizza
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
I use M&S Italian peeled plum tomatoes - The basic ones with the white label. I love them.

Think they're about 30-40p a tin, then just use a hand blender to make it into 'sauce'

Add salt and whatever else you fancy to your taste.

This is how it should be done, make sure you get it everywhere, preferably while drunk.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:43:40 AM by JSPACEMAN »
I think I'm in love, probably just hungry.

Offline JSPACEMAN

• Pizza
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »
Here's my go to, I usually have Buffalo Mozzarella, but there was none at the deli counter on the market   :-\
I think I'm in love, probably just hungry.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:48:46 PM »
I use Sainsburys plum tomatoes but to be honest I haven't tried the expensive brands.. yet.

They're  cheap (about 33p a can for the multipacks of 4) they are quite sweet compared to other cheap plum tomatoes I have tried and  the juice is reasonably thick too.

I use a mixture of plum tomatoes I either finely dice up or blend them (always turns orange) then some tomato puree (paste in the US) which also turns them back from orange to red.  Then add oregano, basil, marjoram, bit of garlic powder and a tiny bit of sugar depending on the sweetness of the tomatoes.  I always make it a day in advance and leave it 24 hours before use in the fridge. 

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:50:52 PM by MadMatt »

wordpress