A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizzamaking Fanatics 2012 NYC Tour – Joe’s, Keste, Paulie Gee’s, Best, Motorino  (Read 31759 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
They will be busy when you expect them to be busy. This time of year is probably as good as any to visit. Don't go on Fri-Sun if you can avoid it. Hit Paulie Gee's right before they open.

CL
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:55:23 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
Looks like such a great time :). You guys hit up some killer places! Paulie is such a character. Roberto so gracious. Best so kick-ass new skool-oldschool. Joe's is pretty delicious right from the oven but as you guys noticed/noted it isn't quite in the same league as the other venues you chose.

Although Kesté is pretty great it did/does strike me and my better half as being on the salty end dough wise for sure. That said, everyone experiences salt a bit differently which in part explains peoples preference for say 2.2% vs 3% or whatever. I wish there was one perfect salt level for dough but in my efforts to find it I have realized that it depends a lot on the toppings and who is eating it.

As far as bench flour -- less tastes better to me. At Paulie's they have such a volume of pies that have to move around in such a short time and basically they can't afford to have any sticking anywhere. So the hydration of the dough and the amount of bench flour reflects those needs. If you/one could crack out as many pies as he does with less bench flour, that would be great I would think. It just might not be that easy. Paulie has seemed pretty pragmatic about this sort of thing and I am sure it is for a good reason. I try to use (and prefer) as little bench flour as possible since the finished crust is less acrid and tastes better -- to me, but I would use more if certain other factors required it. Not a style thing but a necessity thing.

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
OK fellows..... when is the event next year?  I am definetely there.....
Paolo

Offline PizzaVera

Would you guys agree with Guilo Adriani, that paulie gee's is not a Neopolatan pizzeria.?

Offline alpinegroove

Did the SF tour ever take place?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
Not yet.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
mm this looks fantastic! what is it?

A pizza skin baked naked, split open, filled with Nutella, and then dusted with powdered sugar. It's good.