Author Topic: Frozen Pizza Dough  (Read 560 times)

Offline elephant man

• Lifetime Member
Frozen Pizza Dough
« on: October 12, 2016, 11:45:52 PM »
This past week in New Jersey I was able to test Lamonica's frozen pizza dough. I bought the dough balls online from Sur La Table and paid about $9.00 each for 8 pieces at 1 LB. each. Expensive, but this was for a test. The dough was thawed out and re-balled to 11 oz.dough. When we made the pizzas the dough opened like a dream. It was perfect. Baked the pizza in 3 minutes with the Turbo Chef Fire oven. ( If you haven't got this oven, get one. You will be the talk of the town for the next 20 years. It heats up in 15 minutes and you can set it for any temperature you want.)
I saw some discussion about buying the Lamonica's frozen pizza dough balls at Costco Business Centers and checked out the new Business Center in Hackensack,NJ as well as the local Costco's in NJ and they do not sell them.
I went to the Restaurant Depot in Hackensack and they had frozen dough balls 24 ea. at 575 grams for $20.00. I don't remember the Italian name for the product, but we bought a box and tried them out. Defrosted 6 dough balls and re-balled them to 10 ea. at 345 grams. Baked the pizzas and they were very glutenous. A lot of extremely large bubbles formed on the pizza. These were the biggest bubbles I have ever seen on a Pizza cooked at 650 Degrees F. The subsequent pizza were docked prior to adding sauce and that took care of the problem. The pizzas were excellent. I mean they were just excellent. You can not ask for more. So $9 per ball at Sur La Table or $.83 at RD, give me a break.
I may never mix a dough ball again. I will check out the Costco next to my home in Las Vegas next week to see if they have the Costco (Lamonica's) frozen dough balls, and if not I will go to the LV Reastaurant Depot to see what they have the Italian named copy I found in NJ.  Both frozen dough balls were just great.
If one thinks about the volume just Costco alone uses every day for frozen pizza dough balls, 500 stores at 300/day that's 150,000 on the low side. When a company like Lamonica's decides to open a plant producing frozen pizza dough balls, It's a huge investment. The recipe has to be spot on. That's why the frozen dough ball sold at RD is also spot on. I don't think one can improve on that formula. If a location is near your home, put your mixer out on the next garage sale, you won't need it for pizza dough.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
Re: Frozen Pizza Dough
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 11:55:15 PM »
B-b-but I like making dough!   :'(
In grams we trust.

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 01:06:31 AM »
Concerning the Turbo Chef Fire oven, a LOT of change for something that cooks 1, 14" pie at a time! Nice oven, but.......
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 02:09:57 AM »
B-b-but I like making dough!   :'(

And Steve has the forearms to prove it.

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 04:25:13 AM »
You can go into any independent pizzeria and ask if they could order you some frozen pizza dough from their bread guys.
Ive used frozen dough from the Piantedosi bread company with stellar results. Its comes in 7oz 10oz 16oz 22oz and 28oz. I think they cost about .05 an ounce.
Jamie

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 08:12:41 AM »
elephant man,

Some Costco's Business Center's do sell Lamonica's frozen dough balls. 

http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Lamonicas-Pizza-Dough-Balls,-2130-oz.product.11954332.html 

I had purchased some Lamonica's frozen dough balls from Bova Foods in Pa.  I liked them so well that Peter helped to clone/reverse engineer them, after Peter and I did a lot of researching.  In the end I decided to make my own frozen dough balls because of conflicting information on the nutritional facts and also the different ingredients that might be in different Lamonica's frozen dough balls.

Norma

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »
Very interesting, elephant man. Thanks for being so thorough. $9 per is unbelievable huh?

I agree with Steve and others about liking to make dough. There are times though when a frozen one is reliable and very good. One available in Michigan (made here, I believe) is Tiseo's. I've posted pics of a pizza made with that in the daily pie section, a picture being worth a thousand words and all :)

http://www.tiseofrozenpizzadough.com
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
Tony,

In case you are interested, here are the ingredients for the Tiseo's frozen dough, as provided by Tiseo's to a customer/reviewer at the Amazon website in May of 2015:

INGREDIENTS: Wheat Flour, Azodicarbonamide, Alpha-Amylase, Benzoyal Peroxide [Benzoyl Peroxide?], Ascorbic Acid, Thiaine [Thiamine?], Riboflavin, Niacin, Iron, Folic Acid, Water, Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil, and Salt. May Contain L-Cysteine.

The same ingredients statement appears at the ShopWell website at http://www.shopwell.com/tiseos-pizza-dough-frozen/doughs-mixes/p/9485910000. The Nutrition Facts are also provided at the ShopWell website.

For those who would like to analyze what some of the ingredients do, I have a section on dough conditioners, additives and improvers at the front part of the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40212.0.

Peter

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 07:21:21 PM »
Thanks Peter. Funny to think Amazon could be handling frozen dough.

I should have mentioned I think they are 16 oz and cost about $1.89, maybe less.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 07:56:45 PM »
Here's a short thread on some Sam's Club frozen dough balls I started 8 years ago. Back then a case of 24 doughballs was 20 bucks. They were pretty good considering.....
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7216.msg62294#msg62294

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 09:11:39 PM »
Here's a short thread on some Sam's Club frozen dough balls I started 8 years ago. Back then a case of 24 doughballs was 20 bucks. They were pretty good considering.....
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7216.msg62294#msg62294

jon
jon,

Goglanian was acquired by Rich Products almost six years ago:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2012/12/12/rich-products-announces-two.html

I don't know if Sam's Club still carries the original Goglanian frozen dough balls.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 10:08:58 PM »
Well.......I may have to call them. I no longer have a membership but some friends do. Honestly, haven't bought them since that posting in 2008 but recently have thought of doing so and vac packing them frozen just to have around, they weren't bad! If I find anything out I'll post it.

jon

Offline elephant man

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »
I did find the Lamonica's frozen dough balls at Restaurant Depot in Las Vegas. About $.85 per 20 oz. ball.