A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What if you don't want a puffy rim?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Kostakis1985

What if you don't want a puffy rim?
« on: December 14, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
Alot of pictures on the forum of pizzas made by members of the forum show pizzas with a big puffy rim. My pizzas come out of the oven with puffy rims, they are excellent, however I want to produce pizzas with a less exagerated rim. Is this just a yeast issue? The attached picture is my goal the crust is chewy and tasty its from a pizza place I eat at atleast once a week. The pizza uses 14oz of dough for what Im told is a 12" pizza, but its usually strecthed to 12.5" in diameter.
Jamie

Offline scott123

Re: What if you don't want a puffy rim?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:15:37 PM »
Are you sure that rim isn't puffy? It looks a bit puffy to me.

If you want something bready and dense, then I would do the opposite of what aids in spring. Bake the pizza longer at a lower temp and underferment the dough (less yeast, same amount of time or same yeast and shorter time).

I would also try using less water, as well as kneading for bit longer.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:17:55 PM by scott123 »

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »
well it might be condidered puffy, but my pizzas are alot more puffy than this. also i seem to be confused on what "bready" means? because I thought pizzas with the huge rims were considered bready.
Jamie

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
I think a number of factors contribute to the puffiness of the rim. Not the least of which include: 1) dough weight, 2) hydration, 3) proofing, 4) oven temp, and 5) deck/stone material. I'm sure there are others.

You are using almost 400g of dough for a 12.5" pizza. I'm using 275g and stretching it out to 15"+ and still getting a relatively puffy rim. My guess is your hydration is less (I'm at 60% - more water = more steam inside the dough) and your deck temp is much less (I'm at 900F+/-25F). Both of these give Neapolitan-style pies the puffiness with less dough.

As for breadiness - in my mind anyway, pizza is not bread. To me, bread is a more regular density of crumb and apples-to-apples generally tougher. Sure, some pizza is very similar to bread, and I would call those bready. Check out the crumb shots in the Neapolitan section with the big open crumb and the wall of the big bubbles that look like they are made from hundreds of tiny-tiny bubbles - that's what I call pizza. (That's not supposed to sound like a pizza snob - just illustrate the point I was trying to make).

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
Kostakis1985,

I donít know how this would work for the style of pizza you want to make, but on the Boardwalk thread, I have to really press on the dough a lot not to get a puffy rim.  That dough is a lower hydration dough with a fair amount of oil.

Not sure if this relates to you not wanting a puffy rim or not.

Norma

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
I'm trying to make a new york style pizza with a crust that is chewy and doesn't have a huge rim and isn't extremely floppy like if you folded it, it would snap but not break i hope this makes since and somebody could point me in the right direction. I just spent 2hours driving from grocery store to grocery store looking for fresh yeast but if I only found 1 person who knew what I was looking for and he said it hasn't been sold in years there. So I asked my uncle (he owns a restaurant) to order me some I can't wait to try it out!
Jamie

Offline PHXCobra

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »
PJ's uses a dough docker that removes most of the air from the dough in order to produce their breadsticks and cheesesticks.  Cheesesticks you push down hard, breadsticks not near as hard as they still want them fluffy but not bubbly.  This creates a flatter dough with no real crust edge.  Below is a pic of the docker I always used and what it creates dough wise using the same dough they would use on a medium (12") pizza.

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:43:48 PM »
Don't worry about fresh yeast if you cannot find it easily.I use IDY all the time and it works great.
 :)

-Bill

Offline moose13

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 03:44:25 PM »
I am no expert but, when i use a rolling pin and roll the dough out all the way through the edge, i get a much smaller edge to the crust.
If i hand stretch and toss, leaving a dough edge, i get much more poof.

wordpress