A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Deep Dish "Pop Up"  (Read 196 times)

Offline BarryofColumbia

Deep Dish "Pop Up"
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:34:52 AM »
Hello pizza lovers,

Was curious if anyone had any advice or know how they could share with me. I live in a town devoid of real a Chicago deep dish pizza option, however a high population of college students from the Chicagoland area. I want to open a pizzeria serving a NY style hand tossed pizza as well as a real Chicago deep dish.

I am trying to finance the endeavor without a loan by doing pop ups and special events with my pizza. I have done several successful hand tossed style pop ups with my portable propane ovens, however I really want to do a deep dish pop up. Since deep dish has very different cook times and cooking methods i'm looking for advice. Do I need to find a friendly restaurant that will let me throw a party?

Has anyone tried anything similar?

Thanks,
Barry
In Crust We Trust

Offline jojoscircus

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Deep Dish "Pop Up"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »
For something like that im guessing youll have to just start baking and serving slices.  Cant do made to order efficiently in your case.    Ps.  May God bless you for bringing deep dish to the unwashed.

Offline renchero

• Still learning and loving every minute of it
Deep Dish "Pop Up"
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 03:02:38 PM »
The Pizza bible has a technique that reduces the time to make deep dish by about half. You have to cook your sauce separately to do this. I havenít tried it yet but it might be something to think about. If you can halve the time, you might be able to pull it off. Maybe do a mixture of two or three standard pies that you can sell by the slice and then if the customer doesnít mind waiting 20 minutes you can do a custom order.

Offline BarryofColumbia

Re: Deep Dish "Pop Up"
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 03:53:34 PM »
renchero,

Yes! that's a great tip. I have been doing that since reading it in the book. Really cuts down on the time, and allows you to get a better bake on the crust, in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply!

Barry
In Crust We Trust

A D V E R T I S E M E N T