A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: quietdesperation's sicilian journey  (Read 373 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
quietdesperation's sicilian journey
« on: June 15, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
my wife sits on our local school board and offered to host the annual party this year. I'm not ready to deal with the pressure of launching off a peel for a party yet, I thought a pan pizza less risky. Trying a test run tonight, for my first try, I cloned craig's square pie dough formulation:

Flour (100%):
Water (65%):
IDY (.05%):
Salt (2%):
Oil (3%):
Sugar (1%):
LDMP(1%):
Total (171.05%):
485.49 g  |  17.12 oz | 1.07 lbs
315.57 g  |  11.13 oz | 0.7 lbs
0.24 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs | 0.08 tsp | 0.03 tbsp
9.71 g | 0.34 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.02 tsp | 0.67 tbsp
14.56 g | 0.51 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.24 tsp | 1.08 tbsp
4.85 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.22 tsp | 0.41 tbsp
4.85 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.22 tsp | 0.41 tbsp
830.43 g | 29.29 oz | 1.83 lbs | TF = 0.156

dough temp was 83 degrees, balled at 2pm, ambient temp is 72, plan to bake at 9pm
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:57:55 PM by Pete-zza »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: quietdesperation's sicilian journey
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »
dough opened beautifully and then disaster struck. I watched a random youtube video where the dough was folded in half before placing it in the pan, to make it easier to transfer. The person just unfolded the dough and it worked beautifully. I tried it and the dough halves fused. so now I'm stretching it again and it's a mess. sigh...
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Online Jordanrs1980

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
That's a bummer.  The few times I have made it I just placed the dough ball into the oiled pan and let gravity do its work for a bit.  Then I lightly pressed/pushed the dough to cover as much of the pan as I could.  Let it sit again for a bit and then it was able to fill the pan.  Let it rest again for 30-45 min and then topped.  Perhaps that will be a better option on your next go round.  Nonetheless I am curious to see how things end up.  I'm sure it will still taste great. 

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
maybe...I was in good shape, I just should have gently transferred the stretched dough to the pan but I thought this would be easier. I stretched the dough again and it's proofing. I'm guessing I won't see a lot of rise...we'll see.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »
That's a bummer.  The few times I have made it I just placed the dough ball into the oiled pan and let gravity do its work for a bit.  Then I lightly pressed/pushed the dough to cover as much of the pan as I could.  Let it sit again for a bit and then it was able to fill the pan.  Let it rest again for 30-45 min and then topped.  Perhaps that will be a better option on your next go round.  Nonetheless I am curious to see how things end up.  I'm sure it will still taste great.

Yep, letting it rise in the pan is the way to go.
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 08:42:19 PM »
rising in the pan was the plan...stretching in the pan from the beginning was not...I thought I'd stretch for a bit on the counter, transfer into the pan, stretch some more...and more...and then rise in pan for an hour. anyhow, that's what's happening now, it's been rising for 40 mins, I'll give it another 20 mins. I can see the dough is uneven in spots...

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:37:33 PM »
rising in the pan was the plan...stretching in the pan from the beginning was not...I thought I'd stretch for a bit on the counter, transfer into the pan, stretch some more...and more...and then rise in pan for an hour. anyhow, that's what's happening now, it's been rising for 40 mins, I'll give it another 20 mins. I can see the dough is uneven in spots...

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I didn't show all the steps but pressing it out in the pan and letting it rise works well. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42012.0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:40:16 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:47:17 PM »
got it, thanks Hans! and wow, that is some beautiful pizza!

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing yours!
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 11:49:33 PM »
it wasn't as crispy as I would have liked, I put too much sauce and pepperoni on the pie. Still, it was very good, my D said better than our local pizzeria. maybe more oil on the bottom of the pan next time would result in more crunch. to be honest, I've never been a big fan of this style unless the crust has real snap.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:52:41 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 01:15:40 AM »
Good save! Did you parbake with 1/2 sauce, then top+finish bake, or just bake off the stretched and topped dough?
In grams we trust.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
I use very little Crisco in the bottom of my pan and get a crispy crust. I copied Lou's (hotsawce) serving method that he did at Emmy Squared and it helps to keep the bottom crust crisp. Mine got soggy when they stay in the pan.
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
Good save! Did you parbake with 1/2 sauce, then top+finish bake, or just bake off the stretched and topped dough?

thanks steve, I parbaked with no sauce.

I use very little Crisco in the bottom of my pan and get a crispy crust. I copied Lou's (hotsawce) serving method that he did at Emmy Squared and it helps to keep the bottom crust crisp. Mine got soggy when they stay in the pan.

hans, I didn't use crisco this time, if the purpose is to help with dough stretching, not sure it's needed for this dough, it was very easy to stretch and I just let the dough rest 15 minutes and then stretched again to get full pan coverage. However, if it adds crispiness, I'll definitely give it a try.

In craig's thread, he talks about pouring oil under the crust after the parbake, resulting in something akin to fried dough. Maybe I should try that...

I looked again at your thread and placing the pie on a rack makes a lot of sense, I'll try that next time. thanks for the suggestion! I've been to get out to emmy squared to try lou's pizza...so much pizza, so many calories, so little time...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:54:23 AM by quietdesperation »