A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 309930 times)

Offline DDT

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #1100 on: May 18, 2015, 01:04:47 PM »
Looking good Tom,
I made another beer batch and think I have found what I like as far as recipe but I am still not consistent with the stretch. I have gotten the mixing and fermenting to where I can knuckle the dough without it tearing too easy but it is not even and gets a thin spot or two that can be dangerous. I have watched videos and read on opening dough balls but can't seem to just work the dough like in the videos. I try not to touch the very center bla bla bla. Not sure if I  should do more stretch and folds but don't want to loose the air bubbles of the dough either. I see in videos dipping the ball or disc in a bowl of flour. Maybe I need more bench flour to turn dough in circles easier. Not sure if this is the thread to ask for this help but your pies always look even and you helped with the beer tips so here I am. Sorry no pics of my last beer pizzas. After work and cooked and ate fast.
Thanks ,
D

Offline TomN

« Reply #1101 on: June 15, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »
I am working on a video to show how i press out my dough. When I finish it I will let yo know the link.

Offline DDT

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1102 on: June 15, 2015, 04:11:29 PM »
Kool. Thanks

Offline TomN

« Reply #1103 on: June 19, 2015, 01:37:42 AM »
Work has been keeping me busy, so i am behind in several postings of pizza that I have made. However, I made a pizza for a friend tonight that had to be Gluten Free and Dairy Free. It was not a round as some of the pizza that i am used to making and I could not use a pizza screen on this one as the dough is as consistent as a cake batter. Over all, my friend liked it. Not as flavorful as my gluten flour, but to a person that is gluten free and dairy free, he loved it. The cheese is non dairy as well. (if you can call it cheese.  ;D ) I was VERY impressed with the flavor of this gluten free beer.

(Clicking on the photos will enlarge them)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:42:03 AM by TomN »

Offline DDT

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1104 on: June 19, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
You're a good friend Tom,
It would have been salad for dinner here. Of course some good gluten ciabatta to go with mine.

Offline derrick36

« Reply #1105 on: August 29, 2015, 08:38:01 PM »
Sorry to muck up your thread. I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full. Anyhow, in post 797 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17415.msg298072;topicseen#msg298072 you used Andygator. Where did find it?  My wife and I have been trying to locate it since we moved back to Seattle from New Orleans in 2011, and have come up empty.

I tried your method for making dough yesterday and both pizzas turned out great!!  They were the 2nd and 3rd pizzas that I've made in my life, and I was very happy with the results.

Thank you for making me look like a rock star in front of my family!!!

Derrick

Offline TomN

« Reply #1106 on: September 19, 2015, 07:48:18 PM »
Hi Derrick,

I think that i got it at Total Wine & More, but I will do some checking later.  Also, i need to renew my membership on PM, so i can get messages in my mailbox. Will do that soon, just not enough time right now. Best to you.

TomN

Offline derrick36

« Reply #1107 on: September 21, 2015, 05:19:17 PM »
Hi Derrick,

I think that i got it at Total Wine & More, but I will do some checking later.  Also, i need to renew my membership on PM, so i can get messages in my mailbox. Will do that soon, just not enough time right now. Best to you.

TomN

Thank you Tom.

I figured that might be the place.  I'll have to go check them out.  I've been using Lagunitas IPA and having good success.  I added in my sourdough starter in the last one and it's probably the best pizza I've made so far.  The starter is only a couple weeks old, so it wasnt as noticeable, but I know it will get better with time.  Once I get some sort of pizza stone or baking steel, and a better screen I think this will be the goto recipe in our house.

Thank you again for this thread!!!

Offline TomN

« Reply #1108 on: November 01, 2015, 11:48:53 PM »
Tempted to try making dough everyday for the Month of December with these beers.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1109 on: November 03, 2015, 12:25:34 AM »
Tom......first of all...I'm ALL in for pizza AND beer every day of the month of December....seriously......

I'm curious..when you use IPA's....does the "hoppiness" ever come through in your dough? A while back, I made both pizza and bread out of a batch of dough in which I had used IPA for the poolish. I never tasted the hops in the pizza but did in the bread. Although I've been using beer in my dough (poolish) for quite a while now, YOU are our "go to" guy for beer in pizza dough. Have you found any single factor in either the work flow or a specific beer that would enhance the actual characteristics of a given beer? Thanks!!
Bob

Offline TomN

« Reply #1110 on: November 06, 2015, 01:37:36 AM »
Hi CaptBob,

Sometimes you might not notice it as much depending on the sauce and toppings that you are pairing the IPA dough with. I use the term pairing, because beer like wine, needs to be paired with the right toppings. If you were to compare the taste of pizza dough with beer next to dough that has not been made with beer, you will definitely notice a big difference in the flavor and texture of the pizza crust. Also, when I take the dough out of the fridge for the first time, I can smell the wonderful aroma of the pizza dough, which will bake into a great crust. It is worth adding the beer.

As for IPA beers, sometimes I like to use a Double IPA or the term Imperial IPA (which is a DOUBLE IPA). These can really provide some wonderful flavor in the dough. Over all, your average single IPA is going to do a great job for your pizza dough. However, there are time that I like to spend a bit more and get the best IPA that a beer company makes. The Dogfish 120 Minute IPA is very limited and costs around $10 or more for only 12 ounces. I do not always use it in pizza dough when it is released since most beer stores will only sell you one bottle, but I am one who likes to experiment a lot with different beers in dough.

If you compare the 90 minute IPA to the 120 minute IPA, you can see the difference in color and definitely in taste.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:13:18 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

« Reply #1111 on: November 06, 2015, 01:39:17 AM »
A few other IPA Beers that I have used and like. (Click on the photo and it will enlarge)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:45:05 AM by TomN »

Offline Dwain

• Bon Appétit!
« Reply #1112 on: January 24, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »
This is a perfect thread for me to discover.  I am a homebrewer and love to bake pizza.  These pies look awesome.  What a great way to combine the hobbies.  I plan to mix some dough soon. 

However, I noticed you always "press" your dough balls out and I saw that you've considered making a video.  I'd like to see that when you are able to produce it.  I open my dough balls on a bench using Pete-zaa's dustinator mixture.  We'll see how that goes with this recipe.

I saw a few questions about different beers throughout the post.  Here are some of my thoughts:

Given the same grist and yeast: Higher mash temps will leave a sweeter less fermentable wort.  Lower temps yield a higher alc content more fermentable dryer wort.  Change amount of grist and use a yeast with higher/lower attenuation potential and these variables change accordingly.

You can harvest yeast from a bottle of beer if it is bottle conditioned.

Different yeast flocculate at different rates and are cultured for that purpose.  IOW: Hefeweizen has a low flocculating yeast therefore the beer is cloudy.  Lagers are cold conditioned and therefore help the yeast and other compounds in the beer to clump together and floc out so it is a cleaner, clear beer.

Dunkelweizen is simply a beer with wheat, light and dark barley malts used in the grist and fermented with a weizen yeast.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:52:23 PM by Dwain »
~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Offline TomN

« Reply #1113 on: May 12, 2018, 12:28:02 AM »
It's been a long time since I have been on the forum, hope to contribute again in the near future

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1114 on: May 12, 2018, 04:20:58 AM »
It's been a long time since I have been on the forum, hope to contribute again in the near future

Great thread, I've also thought about using beer. Have you tried using soured beers much like gueuze or gose?

I'll read through the thread now and will probably find my answer
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:23:17 AM by Hanglow »

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1115 on: May 12, 2018, 08:23:56 AM »

good to see you back. 
Deb