A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Aurelio's Quest  (Read 47703 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Aurelio's Quest
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
The crust rim from the cutter pan.... That there is what it's all about baby.  👍🏼🤗
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2020, 09:10:38 PM »
Thanks Bob. I'm still tinkering around trying to figure out a cheese blend that's a little closer to Aurelio's. I haven't had the real thing in a while, so I should probably do that. There used to be one in S. Elgin but it closed. There is one in LaGrange where I work, so perhaps a lunchtime visit is in order.

On this one I used half LMWM mozz and half Chellino scamorza. After baking it was a bit too salty. Previously I used thirds of WMM, LMPS mozz, and scamorza. That was closer. The Chellino scamorza seems to me like a LMPS that's a bit saltier than average, which isn't a bad thing, but I need to balance it because the salt level can be pretty intense once it's browned as much as I like the cheese to be. The sweet sauce is a good foil for that level of saltiness though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:00:02 PM by CMC »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »
Great work figuring that baking arrangement out. The pizza is beautiful and I’m sure it was delicious. That is a 19 min bake (lower temps I realize)?
-Tony

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2020, 10:50:07 PM »
Yes, 19 minutes total over 3 stages:

10 mins @ 450° in pan on lower stone (2nd from bottom rack).
4 mins @ 450° in pan on upper stone (2nd from top rack).
5 mins directly on lower stone with oven reduced to 400° so that the burner was mostly off. The heat from the stone browned the bottom nicely. It was still pale after the first two stages. Actually, 4 minutes (maybe even 3) for this third stage would have been slightly better.

Maybe in the future I'll try one stone on a middle rack and see if I can get a comparable result in just 2 stages (first in pan and then directly on the stone).

Maybe with a higher oven temp or with the convection on, I could find a way to get more browning leaving it in the pan the whole time, but I'm not able to do that at 450°. I also have a 1/2" steel I could try putting the cutter pan on, but I've never used the steel for this style pizza before.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »
I have no suggestions or criticism. I found it remarkable. Thanks for the reply.
-Tony

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2020, 11:05:15 PM »
The high amounts of sauce, meats, and cheese play a big part in the long bake time. But they also play a big part in making these pizzas so darn tasty.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:10:06 AM by CMC »

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »
This is becoming a weekly favorite at my house.

Homemade sausage and a different cheese blend, based on what I had left without opening anything new.

Dough for 14” cutter pan
Flour (100%): 228 g
Water (50%): 114 g
Corn Oil (10%): 22.8 g
Sugar (2%): 4.56 g
Salt (1.5%): 3.42 g
IDY (.5%): 1.14 g
Total (164%): 373.92 g

Water divided in roughly half.  In one half, dissolve sugar and bloom yeast; in other half, dissolve salt. Add oil to flour and rub clumps between fingers to break up, then whisk to break up further.  Add liquids to flour and stir with spoon to bring together.  Fold and press dough into bottom of bowl a few times until all dry ingredients have been picked up, then don't knead any further.  Press dough into rough ball shape, then cover bowl. 

Ferment at room temp for 12 hours, then refrigerate for 10 hours.  Take the dough out of the fridge about 2 hours before pressing it out in the pan.

Sauce
28oz. can extra heavy tomato puree
3/8 cup water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Kraft parmesan
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Cheese blend (12oz. total)
30% LMWM mozz (3.6oz.)
30% Provolone (3.6oz.)
20% Scamorza (2.4oz.)
20% Gouda (2.4oz.)

Sausage
Per pound of ground pork, add:
9 grams kosher salt (2% by weight)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp fennel seed (I leave half whole and partially buzz the other half in a small blade-style coffee grinder)
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large clove garlic, microplaned
1 Tbsp Pinot Grigio

Preheat oven with 2 stones to 475° (I will be trying 500° next time) for 1 hour before assembling pizza.

Press dough into cutter pan. Top with 9oz. sauce, spreading to within 1/4 inch of edge of dough skin. Sprinkle sauce with grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano, then add about 1/4 of cheese blend. Add 12oz. sausage. Top with remaining cheese blend, spreading all the way to the edge of the dough skin. Lightly sprinkle with dried oregano.

Reduce oven to 450° for baking.
Pizza in pan on lower stone for 10 minutes.
Pizza in pan on upper stone for 4 minutes to brown the cheese.
Pizza directly on lower stone for 5 minutes to finish the bottom of the crust.

Credits to Garvey for the dough, sauce, and sausage recipes.  What I listed here are just minor tweaks on his formulas. (Higher yeast % in the dough.  In the sauce, a little less sugar and a little more salt and other seasonings.  In the sausage, added marjoram and fresh garlic.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 12:18:13 PM by CMC »

Offline Meatsweats86

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:19 AM »
Great looking pie and description CMC!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2020, 02:11:41 PM »
CMC, I have been to Aurelio’s once with another forum member. I enjoyed the company and the pizza but if memory serves your pizza looks significantly better than the ones we had. Nicely done!
-Tony

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »
Thanks guys!  I appreciate the kind feedback.  Again, the majority of credit is due to those who have come before, whose shoulders I'm standing on.  I hope that doesn't sound arrogant, because it's certainly not meant to.  I'm humbled by the pizza-making abilities of so many people here.

I've made this 3 times since joining the forum and each time has been (IMO) an improvement over the last, both visually and in terms of taste & texture.  Maybe this thread isn't the right place for it, but the adjustments I've been making are actually not so much attempts at honing in on an Aurelio's replica, but more for the purpose of making it closer and closer to my wife's and my taste. 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:32:01 PM by CMC »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »
You are in the right church and pew. Can’t wait to see next week’s.
-Tony

Offline jsaras

« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »
This is becoming a weekly favorite at my house.

Homemade sausage and a different cheese blend, based on what I had left without opening anything new.

Dough for 14” cutter pan
Flour (100%): 228 g

Water divided in roughly half.  In one half, dissolve sugar and bloom yeast; in other half, dissolve salt. Add oil to flour and rub clumps between fingers to break up, then whisk to break up further.  Add liquids to flour and stir with spoon to bring together.  Fold and press dough into bottom of bowl a few times until all dry ingredients have been picked up, then don't knead any further.  Press dough into rough ball shape, then cover bowl. 

Ferment at room temp for 12 hours, then refrigerate for 10 hours.  Take the dough out of the fridge about 2 hours before pressing it out in the pan.

Sauce
28oz. can extra heavy tomato puree
3/8 cup water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Kraft parmesan
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Cheese blend (12oz. total)
30% LMWM mozz (3.6oz.)
30% Provolone (3.6oz.)
20% Scamorza (2.4oz.)
20% Gouda (2.4oz.)

Sausage
Per pound of ground pork, add:
9 grams kosher salt (2% by weight)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp fennel seed (I leave half whole and partially buzz the other half in a small blade-style coffee grinder)
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large clove garlic, microplaned
1 Tbsp Pinot Grigio

Preheat oven with 2 stones to 475° (I will be trying 500° next time) for 1 hour before assembling pizza.

Press dough into cutter pan. Top with 9oz. sauce, spreading to within 1/4 inch of edge of dough skin. Sprinkle sauce with grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano, then add about 1/4 of cheese blend. Add 12oz. sausage. Top with remaining cheese blend, spreading all the way to the edge of the dough skin. Lightly sprinkle with dried oregano.

Reduce oven to 450° for baking.
Pizza in pan on lower stone for 10 minutes.
Pizza in pan on upper stone for 4 minutes to brown the cheese.
Pizza directly on lower stone for 5 minutes to finish the bottom of the crust.

Credits to Garvey for the dough, sauce, and sausage recipes.  What I listed here are just minor tweaks on his formulas. (Higher yeast % in the dough.  In the sauce, a little less sugar and a little more salt and other seasonings.  In the sausage, added marjoram and fresh garlic.)

That’s a mighty fine representation of that style of pizza!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Redquill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2020, 11:53:19 PM »
This latest version is the closest I've had. 

SAUCE

- 28-oz can extra heavy tomato puree*
- 2 ½ Tbs sugar
- 3/8 c. H2O
- 1 tsp. table salt
- 1 healthy pinch of oregano
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp. parmesan

*I don’t know what you can find around where you live.  Stanislaus is preferred.  Escalon?  Tuttorosa?  This recipe makes enough for two pizzas, with some left over.

This sauce is spot-on, straight up Aurelio's.  I know the sugar sounds like an insane amount--and it is--but this is the taste of Aurelio's.

DOUGH

373g ball = one 14.5” pan
Flour (100%): 227.93 g  |  8.04 oz | 0.5 lbs
Water (50%): 113.96 g  |  4.02 oz | 0.25 lbs
IDY (.15%): 0.34 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs | 0.11 tsp | 0.04 tbsp
Salt (1.5%): 3.42 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.61 tsp | 0.2 tbsp
Veg. Oil (10%): 22.79 g | 0.8 oz | 0.05 lbs | 5.02 tsp | 1.67 tbsp
Sugar (2%): 4.56 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.14 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
Total (163.65%): 373 g | 13.16 oz | 0.82 lbs | TF = N/A

Given the low yeast, it is meant to be a 12-15 hour bulk ferment at room temp. Depending on your yeast's behavior, you may want to try cool water instead of warm or maybe even fridge rising. 

Mix this as you would deep dish.  Just bring it together to where it's uniform plus maybe 30 seconds.  That is: don't knead.  You want a short texture, not long strands of gluten.

ASSEMBLY

Use a cutter pan.  Roll it out to about pan size and then press it in to finish.  Sauce it without going all the way to the edge.  Use 11 oz freshly grated mozz for a 14.5" pie.  Aurelio's is known for the heavy cheese.  (This amount may even be on the light side!)  Give a light sprinkle of parm/romano and also of oregano after assembly, right before launching.

BAKING

Preheat two stones to 450º.  Put the panned pizza on the top stone to start.  Bake for 10 minutes.

Carefully remove pizza from pan and finish on the bottom stone, no pan, for 5 minutes.

[NOTE TO SELF: Try flip-flopping these: start low and end high to see if there is a difference. Might not be, but worth experimenting.]

Caveat: Every oven is different.  Know thine oven.

First off, thanks for putting this together Garvey. I essentially copied the dough and sauce recipes. I had Hunt’s sauce on hand and used that, and did the conversion to simplify the dough recipe and rounded to the nearest 1/4 teaspoon.

Doubled Dough for 2 14.5-15” pizzas:
3 1/3 cup flour
8oz water
.22 tsp yeast
1.22 tsp salt
3 tbs 1tsp veg oil
2.28 tsp sugar

I used my KitchenAid with the dough hook, and apparently worked the dough way too far, and had to fight it to stretch it out over the pan. Perhaps I should try the flat mixing head...

Heated the oven and pizza stone to 500° and reduced to 450° prior to putting the first pie in. Par baked the crust in a pan for 4.5 minutes, pulled out and put the toppings on and baked again in the pan for 7-7.5 minutes, then finished on the pizza stone bottom of oven for 5 minutes.

The crust was very good. I made the dough yesterday and left out for 7 hours, refrigerated over night and pulled out for another 5 prior to putting in the pan.

The hunts sauce, although mixed 2 days in advance, was just blah. Will try Cento purée next time.

Sourced good sausage from Lonardo’s
https://www.yelp.com/biz/carmine-lonardos-specialty-meats-and-deli-lakewood

Sautéed onions, garlic, and green peppers.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:08:37 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »
Doubled Dough for 2 14.5-15” pizzas:
3 1/3 cup flour

Get a $10 digital kitchen scale ASAP.  Measuring flour by weight is the first thing to step up your pizza game by making things consistent.  It is impossible to do with volume measurements (cups).

I used my KitchenAid with the dough hook, and apparently worked the dough way too far, and had to fight it to stretch it out over the pan. Perhaps I should try the flat mixing head...

How long did you let the KitchenAid mix it?  "Just bring it together to where it's uniform plus maybe 30 seconds.  That is: don't knead."  If you adhered to this but still found the dough too stiff, it's possible that it's because you didn't use the right amt of flour, since you measured by volume instead of weight, as mentioned above.

Good looking pizza, though!

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2020, 10:12:31 PM »
Dough for 14” cutter pan
KAAP Flour (100%): 228 g

Water divided in roughly half. In one half, dissolve sugar and bloom yeast; in other half, dissolve salt. Add oil to flour and whisk to break up clumps. Add liquids to flour and stir with spoon to bring together. Fold and press dough into bottom of bowl a few times until all dry ingredients have been picked up, then don't knead any further. Press dough into rough ball shape, then cover bowl.

Ferment at room temp for 12 hours, then refrigerate for 10 hours. Take the dough out of the fridge about 2 hours before pressing it out in the pan.

Sauce (7oz for 14" pizza)
28oz. can tomato puree
3oz. tomato paste
2 Tbsp water
1.5 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Kraft parmesan
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Cheese blend (11oz. total)
60% WM mozz (6.6oz.)
20% Provolone (2.2oz.)
20% Brick (2.2oz.)

Boar's Head and Bridgeford pepperoni slices + diced pepperoni

Preheat oven to 500° for 1 hour, then reduce to 450° for baking. Pizza stones on 2nd from top and 2nd from bottom oven racks.
 - Pizza in pan on lower stone for 10 minutes
 - Pizza in pan on upper stone for 3 minutes
 - Transfer from pan to peel; sprinkle with dried oregano
 - Pizza directly on lower stone for 4 minutes

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:21:45 PM by CMC »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2020, 10:32:09 PM »
Dough for 14” cutter pan
KAAP Flour (100%): 228 g

Water divided in roughly half. In one half, dissolve sugar and bloom yeast; in other half, dissolve salt. Add oil to flour and whisk to break up clumps. Add liquids to flour and stir with spoon to bring together. Fold and press dough into bottom of bowl a few times until all dry ingredients have been picked up, then don't knead any further. Press dough into rough ball shape, then cover bowl.

Ferment at room temp for 12 hours, then refrigerate for 10 hours. Take the dough out of the fridge about 2 hours before pressing it out in the pan.

Sauce (7oz for 14" pizza)
28oz. can tomato puree
3oz. tomato paste
2 Tbsp water
1.5 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Kraft parmesan
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Cheese blend (11oz. total)
60% WM mozz (6.6oz.)
20% Provolone (2.2oz.)
20% Brick (2.2oz.)

Boar's Head and Bridgeford pepperoni slices + diced pepperoni

Preheat oven to 500° for 1 hour, then reduce to 450° for baking. Pizza stones on 2nd from top and 2nd from bottom oven racks.
 - Pizza in pan on lower stone for 10 minutes
 - Pizza in pan on upper stone for 3 minutes
 - Transfer from pan to peel; sprinkle with dried oregano
 - Pizza directly on lower stone for 4 minutes

Yep.... Elgin knows what's up!!    ;).     :chef:.   

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2020, 10:41:56 PM »
Pete-zza, moderator..... Please take a look at what CMC is doing here and let me know if you can sticky it somewhere.

Thank you pizza pal, Bob.   :pizza:

Update: sorry Pete, I thought this was a same day dough and would fit in the "emergency dough" sticky. CMC sure did a nice write up though for his Aurelio's Quest.  :pizza:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:41:07 AM by Chicago Bob »

wordpress