A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: ATK Chicago Thin  (Read 1467 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: ATK Chicago Thin
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 08:33:46 AM »
Agreed.  The dough is fine.  And I realize this entire site is dough-centric, on the balance.  But Pizza Factory *is* the sauce.  Make it exactly as written, at least once, or you haven't made Pizza Factory.

Making pizza sauce from tomato paste is underrated.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:35:17 AM by HansB »
Hans

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »

Puree also.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »

Puree also.

Lots of the supermarket purees are just paste and water now.  Check the label.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »
Garvey,

Gonna make this recipe later in the week. Did you happen to see what kind of tomato sauce they were using?  I thought it was weird they were using sauce. I've had good luck with Cento products. Their pie looked pretty legit, guess I'll find out soon enough. Will post pics and thoughts here. If it turns out good, I may use the recipe in case of an emergency.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:37:29 PM by nick57 »

Online Garvey

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 01:08:27 PM »
Did you happen to see what kind of tomato sauce they were using?  I thought it was weird they were using sauce.

They didn't say.  It was already poured into a bowl.

BTW, they finally made the video public:
https://www.cookscountry.com/videos/4162-chicago-thin-crust-pizza-with-homemade-italian-sausage

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 02:25:38 PM »
I'm glad she explained....."We are cooking 2 pizzas at once because we have 2 ovens, if you only have 1 oven you would only cook 1 at a time"!!!🤓🥴
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2019, 06:53:02 PM »
I'm glad she explained....."We are cooking 2 pizzas at once because we have 2 ovens, if you only have 1 oven you would only cook 1 at a time"!!!🤓🥴

Someone needs to tell her that we have a special thread here on our forum for that type of information....😭
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 07:46:59 PM »
 As threatened....err promised, I made ATK's Chi Town thin. I followed the recipe and workflow to the letter except for a couple of things. I made a 16" skin and trimmed it down to 14" using my cutter pan as template. Not knowing what the TF was, I used Garvey's TF from his Pizza Factory clone...0687. I also agreed that there was too little salt in the sausage. I made 1 pound and used 9 grams of fine salt. For the tomato sauce I used Pomi, and for the cheese I used Boars Head whole milk mozz. It had a great melt and flavor.

From the start of making the dough to pulling the pie from the oven was just a tad over 3.5 hours. The dough was very easy to roll out. I baked the pie on my Cordierite  stone at 500 degrees. bake time was right at 10 minutes. I let the pie rest on a cooling rack for a few minutes before slicing. The crust was super crispy and the crumb had a light chew. The crust was good on it's own. Taking the TF down to .06 or .055 may give a style more like a cracker. I will give that a run in the future. The flavor profile was quite different than Pizza Factory's. I like fennel but it seemed a little overpowering. Have no idea if it is the same flavor profile as Vito' and Nick's. The flavor was bold and a little spicy/hot.

Verdict: Had my doubts because it was a same day dough. The crust was better than I was expecting. The flavors worked well together. I liked the end product. It's a keeper and I will make it in the future and it will be featured at one of the football parties. As to which one I like better, Garvey's or ATK's.. It's pretty much of a tossup. They are both very good!

In the video Julia said it was the best pizza she ever ate. It's good, but she needs to get out and try some different pies. 

Online Garvey

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 08:20:15 PM »
Thanks for taking one for the team. I actually calculated and discussed thickness factor in the second post of this thread. For what it’s worth, America’s test kitchen rolled this out to way, way thicker than you did.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »
Thanks for taking one for the team. I actually calculated and discussed thickness factor in the second post of this thread. For what it’s worth, America’s test kitchen rolled this out to way, way thicker than you did.

I missed that...0884. I felt that your TF would work well for testing your crust and ATK's for comparison purposes. I think your crumb is a softer chew, and the ATK not so much, but their bottom crust was a little crisper. That's one reason I believe that making this dough with a lower TF might make it more like a cracker style or super thin and crispy. Another thing I have to add to my bucket list. Both pizzas have their high points and they are very good. I guess it depends on what you grew up eating to determine what you like. I was not expecting much, but then again it's ATK and for the most part I usually have good luck with their recipes. Best of all, I now have two amazing Chi Town styles that I can make depending on my mood and time frame. Winner, winner..chicken dinner.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2019, 09:43:20 PM »
 I got to thinking that my review sounded like a review of which person's pizza was better. It was not! Your Pizza factory clone for me is the gold standard. I thought it would be fun to see how close ATK would come. Watching the episode I did not have high hopes, wrong again. :-D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:57:23 PM by nick57 »

Online Garvey

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2019, 07:21:20 AM »
It’s cool.  I know what you mean.  Really, the ATK is basically PF with 2% less hydration and olive instead of corn oil. 

It's interesting to hear you say this makes or would make a good cracker, considering they made it much thicker in their actual recipe [arguably, you haven't truly made their recipe yet]. For their TF, you'd need that whole dough ball you made and rolled it to 14" instead of 16".  What do you think thicker dough would contribute to the overall balance of the recipe as a whole?

I am also interested in why it comes off as fennel heavy, given that it has *less* fennel than other recipes.  Do you think that's because fennel is practically the only flavoring added?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:04:29 PM by Garvey »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »
Julia was wondering if the pizza was going to be sweet because of the sugar. After tasting the sauce I was wondering the same thing. After the bake there was no real hint of sweetness. I do like fennel in my pies. I used the same amount of seasonings and spices as the recipe called for. I was out of fennel and my Italian seasoning blend was pretty old, so I picked up some fresh fennel seeds and Italian seasoning. I toasted the fennel before using. I could not taste anything but the fennel in the sauce and the sausage. The black pepper and red pepper flakes added some zing. I also felt the sauce could have used some salt. You may be onto something about the reason why there was an overwhelming fennel flavor. It gets me to wondering if this is really how Vito and Nick's tastes.

When I make this again I will use the correct TF. Pretty sure it will make a big difference in the crumb. I am going to make another using a lower TF, maybe around .055 to see if  comes close to a cracker style. For a same day dough and the 2.5 hour ferment it was very easy to roll out with none of the dreaded spring back. The dough did rise quite a bit. The dough did not have any discernible flavor. I am also thinking about adjusting the IDY and doing a 2 day CF to see if it brings out some more flavor in the dough. The dough formula is something that is favorable to tweaking.  Since I know what flavor they were going for, next time I will incorporate some of the seasonings from your PF clone instead.

My expectations were not high when making this. Glad I was wrong. I will keep the dough formula in my arsenal. If I get a wild hair and want pizza later in the day this is a pretty good go to. As for the sausage and sauce, I can do better.     

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2019, 09:03:44 PM »
When I use fennel in a recipe I usually use a 50/50 blend of fennel and anise seed totalling the amount of either asked for.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2020, 03:16:11 PM »

Puree also.

Got that right.  My work using a 6-1 and purée mixture for there pizza sauce.  It’s pretty decent.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2020, 03:19:59 PM »
Excellent pie Nick.  One of the best looking I’ve seen on here.  You cooked it perfect.  Gonna give this a shot next week.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.