A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 225632 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #600 on: January 09, 2019, 12:13:49 PM »

Most excellent looking pizza right there...... :chef:   :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #601 on: January 11, 2019, 11:14:33 PM »

Most excellent looking pizza right there...... :chef:   :drool:

Ditto!  Canít get pizza like that in Pitt.  I miss it and the sausage dearly.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Brewer

• Weíre in this mess together.
« Reply #602 on: January 15, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »
Hello All.  I have wanted to try making Garveyís Pizza Factory clone recipe for some time now.  After reading the entire thread over several times I decided to give it a shot.  It has instantly become one of my most favorite pizza recipes to make.  Over the last two months I have made it over a dozen times.  It is truly outstanding!  I have followed it exactly to Garveyís instructions.  It really is a dream formulation to me.  For the newbie pizza maker itís absolutely perfect!  I found that with a lower hydration dough, and a thicker sauce than what Iím use to, itís so forgiving in the assembly and launch process.  The pizza floats on the peal with minimal peal dust, and the thicker sauce from the paste doesnít bleed onto and under the rim like crushed tomatoes tend to do more readily.  Storage for leftovers really shine!  After a couple of days the undercarriage remains firm and dry rather than soggy and wet.  The crust is crispy and light rather than chewy and bready.

My recommendation for anybody that wants to try this recipe is to do it exactly as Garvey describes from a 2 stone set up down to the exact sauce and sausage formulation that he provides before trying to tweak it in any way.  Itís a flavor explosion!  I have found no need to alter it in any way.  Itís awesome!!!  Itís perfect!!!  It reminds me so much of the old school pizza I used to get in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as a kid.

Here are a couple of photos.  The first time I made the pizzas I put the toppings on top of the cheese out of habit.  After revisiting the thread I now put the toppings under the cheese.  Itís easier to launch and just seems to be better to me.

Garvey, I canít thank you enough for providing and sharing your Pizza Factory recipe!!!  It reminds me so much of my days in Milwaukee.  You are awesome, and I just wish I could shake your hand.

-Brewer 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:40:02 PM by Brewer »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #603 on: January 15, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »
Brewer,

How much did Garvey pay you to say all those nice things about his recipe and pizza? :-D

Peter

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #604 on: January 15, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »
It has certainly become a Forum house favorite, here at our house too! Looking forward to trying that one in the Passione  :drool:
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Brewer

« Reply #605 on: January 15, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
Nothing at all Peter!  I feel like I need to pay him :-D. What an awesome pie formulation!!  Iím having so much fun with it!  All my friends and family that Iíve made it for just rave about it.  What a cool thing!  Iím so happy to be back making pizza! 

Offline Brewer

« Reply #606 on: January 15, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
Awesome Jon!!  This afternoon Iím making bulk dough for 4 more skins.  Iím a Pizza Factory addict.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:39:58 PM by Brewer »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #607 on: January 15, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »
Brewer,

How much did Garvey pay you to say all those nice things about his recipe and pizza? :-D

Peter

:-D :-D :-D

It has instantly become one of my most favorite pizza recipes to make.  Over the last two months I have made it over a dozen times.  It is truly outstanding!

... For the newbie pizza maker it’s absolutely perfect!  I found that with a lower hydration dough, and a thicker sauce than what I’m use to, it’s so forgiving in the assembly and launch process.  The pizza floats on the peal with minimal peal dust, and the thicker sauce from the paste doesn’t bleed onto and under the rim like crushed tomatoes tend to do more readily.  Storage for leftovers really shine!  After a couple of days the undercarriage remains firm and dry rather than soggy and wet.  The crust is crispy and light rather than chewy and bready....

-Brewer 

Thanks, Brewer!  I am glad you and everyone else likes this pizza as much as I do!

I am only cloning the flavors of Pizza Factory itself, so the flavor explosion honors go to them.  As far as the process and recipe are concerned, you nailed it when you said it is so forgiving and easy to follow.  That was what I was going for in writing this up.  It's gotta be replicable.  (Plus, when I first wrote this up, there really weren't a ton of recipes that gave the whole process, particularly the sauce recipe.  This has always been a dough-centric site, but that has loosened up over the years.  So instead of just complaining, I actually did something about it and wrote up the whole shebang.)

Cheers!
Garvey

Offline Brewer

« Reply #608 on: January 15, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »
Incredible Garvey!  Absolutely incredible!!!  Thanks again!

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #609 on: January 15, 2019, 04:44:43 PM »
Garvey,
I'm going to try this for next weeks pizza.
Is the recipe on the first page, the 'goto' recipe, or has it been modified over the 31 pages?
I'm going  to bake it on my Blackstone. I'll try dialing in the heat, getting the stone up to 500, and then reducing the heat in the Blackstone at launch. I'm also going to make the sauce and sausage based on Brewer's accolades, since I'm also from the Milwaukee/Chicago area originally.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #610 on: January 15, 2019, 10:04:23 PM »
rkrider99, yes, the recipe on page 1 is the recipe.

There is only one variant, and that is the no-knead version of the dough (same measurements, same everything, except no kneading).  It's linked in my sig.  (Or if you don't want to read it: just make the dough as directed but instead of kneading it, once it has all come together uniformly, you're done).

Cheers!
Garvey

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:05:54 AM by Garvey »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #611 on: January 20, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
Three-day pizza weekend.  I even made a DD and thin at the same time--something I've always wanted to do but never had before.  The two-stone setup made it easy.

Offline Brewer

« Reply #612 on: January 20, 2019, 08:44:27 PM »
Awesome looking pizzas Garvey!

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #613 on: January 21, 2019, 01:24:47 PM »
 I was thinking of doing a tomato pie this week for another test of the Rocksheat stone. Now I am thinking of doing Garvey's clone. It has become one of my favorite pie's.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #614 on: January 22, 2019, 10:16:42 AM »
OK, so here's my take on this fantastic pizza. Made two 14" last night. Dough was made on Friday. I planned on doing it on the Blackstone, since my oven is really anemic. only goes to 500 degrees, and it really never gets there, but the weather here didn't cooperate so in the oven it was. I also don't have a 14" peel, so I made it on a 14" perforated pizza pan, baked it for 2 minutes to set, and then slid it off the pan onto the stone for an additional 8 minutes. The stone is an Axner 18X18X3/4 kiln shelf, heated for 90 minutes, and the IR gun registered at 480 degrees. The first 3 pictures are of the wife's pepperoni, mushroom, and onion pie. (Top, side, bottom). The pepperoni is diced small, so it's pretty invisible. The last picture is the top of my sausage and onion pie. The sausage is under the cheese. I was  planning on making the sausage, but didn't have time, so it was just good old Johnsonville. I did make the sauce, and it turned out great. We generally don't like a lot of sauce on our pizza's so we ended up with about half of the sauce left.  I'm figuring based on the quantities of 12 ounces of paste, plus 6 ounces of water, comes out to about 18 ounces of sauce. If you're saying that I was supposed to use pretty much all of the sauce, that would be about 9 ounces of sauce on each pie. That's way too much sauce for us. The other thing I noticed is the dough had some good size bubbles form while baking. I'm contributing that to the fact that I usually take dough out of the refrigerator for about an hour before I roll it out. The internal temp of the dough is usually right around 50 degrees. It is a breeze to rollout though. Okay, so enough of the verbage, let's see some pictures. I will be making this again next week.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #615 on: January 22, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »
Great looking pies, rkrider99!

The bake temp I use is 450, not 500.  That said, every oven is different, so whatever works for you.  I mean, you're doing all kinds of crazy stuff I've never tried, like using a pizza pan, parbaking the crust, etc., so I'm glad it turned out as well as it did, given these significant changes in baking protocol.  But that's really what pizzamaking is about: figuring out your local conditions to coax a great pie out of whatever you happen to be working with.  There is someone on here that uses a Blackstone and/or WFO, so maybe they have some pointers in that regard, too.

The original Pizza Factory was very saucy.  Heck, many Southside Chicago/Calumet Region pizzas are very saucy, so it's true to type.  But you went with your preference.  (I get a little over 2, maybe 2.5, pizzas per recipe, depending.) 

The bubbles you experienced are probably due to the two things mentioned above--(1) the blind baking and (2) the saucing.  I dunno.

How is that Axner?  I need to order one myself.  (Well, two of them, actually.  I always use a two-stone setup, low and high.)

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #616 on: January 22, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »
Garvey,
Just to clarify, I didn't blind bake, I built the whole pizza on the pan, put the pan directly on top of the stone for 2 minutes, just enough to start melting the cheese, and get everything firm, and then slid the pizza off of the pan and directly onto the stone. I may try docking the pizza a little to reduce some of the bubbles, but we enjoyed those areas of the pizza as well. I do remember Chicago pizza being somewhat saucy. I'll probably up the sauce a little next time and see how it turns out. The flavors were excellent.
Axner is great. That stone cost me like $25 at the time. It a cordierite kiln shelf. Looking at the same one I bought, it's up to $30.13 now. Still cheap compared to those "retail pizza stones".
Link to the stone I got: https://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-18x18x34square.aspx Right above that one is a 18x18x1" for $39.51. Not sure what shipping charges would be. Axner is about 30 minutes from where I live.
Thanks for the great recipes for the dough, sauce, and sausage. I'm really going to try to make that sausage.
Tom

Offline Garvey

« Reply #617 on: January 22, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »
Tom--thanks for the clarifications.  I misread the first time.  I am surprised you got air bubbles, given that a 72-hr cold fermented dough shouldn't really be that lively.  It should have behaved itself better.  :D  But this has happened to me, too, every now and then.  Maybe the Dough Doctor, if he saw this, could shed some light (e.g., is it oven spring?  I dunno.).

I looked into the Axner--thanks for the link--and two stones with shipping will be about $100, give or take.  Not bad.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Brewer

« Reply #618 on: January 24, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
I made Pizza Factory yesterday.  They tasted amazing!  I made three 14 inch pizzas on a 72 hr CF with Garvey's No-Kneed formula. 

The first pie was something I usually don't do which is pineapple.  My wife loves pineapple, so I made one for her:  Pineapple, Ciao Pepperoni, Hot Banana Pepper rings, Red Onion, Boars Head Mozz, and TsinTsin crushed pepper flakes on the top.  The hot, sour, and sweet combinations with Garvey's sauce formula were outstanding!

The second pizza was Garveys sausage, Ciao Pepperoni, Red Onion, Green Martini Olives in dry vermouth, Parmigiano Reggiano, Boars Head Mozzarella, and Tsin Tsin crushed red pepper flakes.

The third pizza was a double layer of Ciao Pepperoni, Kalamata black olives, Red Onion, Parmigiano Reggiano, Boars Head Mozzaarella, and Tsin Tsin crushed red pepper flakes.

The fourth picture was taken of the sausage/ pepperoni pie to show how thin the crust was rolled out after it cooked.  The edges of the crusts were super thin.  They warped and curled with the heat.  They blistered really nice.  They were very lite and crispy.  I baked em at 450 F. on a 2 stone set up for about 12 minutes a piece.    Today the leftover reheats were incredible.  Very crispy and dry.  Not soggy, wet, or chewy. 

All the pies had an amazing taste!  Everything I love about a thin crust pizza.  It was and is a beautiful day. :)  Time to make more dough.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #619 on: January 24, 2019, 08:23:39 PM »
Looks fantastic, Brewer!  Some really tasty combos there!

How do you reheat?  I'm an electric frypan man, myself.  Always nice and crispy.

wordpress