A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 225534 times)

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #660 on: July 20, 2019, 08:15:29 PM »
Thanks, Garvey. Yeah, I 'll try that method. I am a toppings under the cheese guy in general but the people I had over like the meat on top so i obliged. I guess when I say "Fine Tune" I mean make more. :)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #661 on: July 20, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »
Guests can choose toppings.  They don't get to choose assembly methods.  It's not even up for questioning.
 :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #662 on: July 20, 2019, 09:27:09 PM »
Guests can choose toppings.  They don't get to choose assembly methods.  It's not even up for questioning.
 :chef:
.     Yep, an if they don't like it tell them Dominoes is jus down the block. 😵
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #663 on: July 21, 2019, 01:43:23 AM »
The only topping that should be above the cheese is dried or fresh herbs.

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #664 on: July 21, 2019, 07:28:31 AM »
haha... I guess I'm not that "firm" on my toppings placement. I am in major "first phase" experimentation mode of my thins ( 3 times) so variation is ok. Although uber passionate about pizza my whole life my favorite has always been Cheese, so topping placement was always fairly universal on that. I have had toppings above and toppings under cheese at various different pizza joints throughout my life and never thought much of it..unless the pizza was bad. If the pizza was good or great I really didn't give it much thought. Generally I have always put my toppings under the cheese. My childhood local pizza haunt was a "toppings" under establishment (man, I miss Harold's Pizza). There where places in towns near that were toppings over and I enjoyed them as well. Obviously people are pretty passionate about "over or under" though.  :)   

Offline Garvey

« Reply #665 on: July 21, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
The paste base for the Pizza Factory sauce absorbs liquid nicely when you do toppings under cheese.  It's not a preference but an actual strategy with reasons behind it.

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #666 on: August 04, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »
I have made this recipe a few times now and am really digging it. I use the dough and sauce recipe pretty much to the letter. The only change I make is substituting Full Red Heavy Puree for the paste. These pizzas get rave reviews each time I make them. I swear each time they are better. I think I am getting better just handling/rolling the dough. I do a 3 day rest. Really tasty. I think this sauce will be my go to thin sauce. Cracker style, Round Table, Tommy's, Pizza Factory style etc. It is just so tasty. Thanks again for sharing. Made a couple really tasty ones today... a Mushroom & Onion and a Sausage, Mushroom, Onion, Red & Green Pepper.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #667 on: August 04, 2019, 11:59:28 PM »
The only topping that should be above the cheese is dried or fresh herbs.

Well, guess there are exceptions sometimes.... raw Bacon, fresh tomato slices... Tom's can go under but I like them on top with lil pinches of grated parm on them. ymmv

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #668 on: August 05, 2019, 10:06:14 PM »
I have made this recipe a few times now and am really digging it. I use the dough and sauce recipe pretty much to the letter. The only change I make is substituting Full Red Heavy Puree for the paste. These pizzas get rave reviews each time I make them. I swear each time they are better. I think I am getting better just handling/rolling the dough. I do a 3 day rest. Really tasty. I think this sauce will be my go to thin sauce. Cracker style, Round Table, Tommy's, Pizza Factory style etc. It is just so tasty. Thanks again for sharing. Made a couple really tasty ones today... a Mushroom & Onion and a Sausage, Mushroom, Onion, Red & Green Pepper.
. Par-cooked sausageŅ 🤔

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #669 on: August 06, 2019, 10:42:02 AM »

Those look so amazing, Todd.  I am loving what I see in your results in the pizza picture posts.  ;D

Keep up the good work and keep posting. 

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #670 on: August 06, 2019, 10:51:38 PM »
Garvey, I used your Pizza Factory sauce tonight for a 1/2 recipe of Jim Laheyís no-knead pizza dough toward a Chicago thin-crust pizza. The dough was very easy to use, crusty on the bottom, thin and delicious.  I havenít lived in Chicago for the past 40+ years and very much miss the Chicago thin-crust pizzas from my old neighborhood (Berwyn).  The sauce really transformed my attempts to replicate the pizzas I grew up with and my husband agreed it really had all the flavors we remember from our childhood.
The no knead dough (70% hydration) recipe I used was:
250g King Arthur Bread Flour (instead of AP flour)
⅛ teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
175g water
⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt

Dough ingredients were mixed all together in a bowl and mixed with wooden spoon until no dry flour remained.  Covered bowl with plastic wrap and let bulk ferment for 12 hours.  Then removed dough, did a few stretch and fold moves and formed two taught balls and placed into lightly greased covered containers to cold ferment for 64 hours.  Removed from refrigerator to warm up for 2 hours before baking. I was going to use a rolling pin but the dough was so pliable, I could easily stretch the dough.  Each 12-inch round was placed on a pizza screen, topped with your Pizza Factory sauce (Contadina Tomato Paste!), homemade sausage, mushroom, onion, green pepper and whole milk mozzarella and provolone.  Rather than using sausage chunks, the sausage was pre-cooked just until no pink remained and then crumbled over  The veg. was also cut into small dice and evenly distributed over the top.  We like this method because every bite includes all toppings/flavors.  The screen was placed directly on the baking steel for about 3 minutes - just long enough for the bottom to set enough so screen could be removed out from under the pizza so it could finish cooking directly on the baking steel.  Worked for us!
Heated baking steel on bottom rack of oven at 500ļF for an hour. 

Iíll have to try your lower hydration, no-knead dough version next.  Iím assuming that with a lower hydration dough, there might not be a need to use a screen to initially launch the pizza.  I love this topic!!!!!
-mickey

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #671 on: August 06, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »
No pics Fiend? 🧐

Also, very nice write up and welcome to the forum... Hope you stick around! 😎
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:10:39 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #672 on: August 06, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
Welcome, Fiend.  Glad you liked it. Just try my recipe as written; itís very detailed; anyone should be able to follow it to the letter. I donít know anything about the Jim Lahey dough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #673 on: August 07, 2019, 12:03:28 AM »
Welcome, Fiend.  Glad you liked it. Just try my recipe as written; itís very detailed; anyone should be able to follow it to the letter. I donít know anything about the Jim Lahey dough.

This

70% hydro is another animal, unnecessary and won't take you to thin Chi-Town  :chef:

Minimal mix.. Just bring it together, you don't want to develop gluten... That makes it too bread like.... 50ish hydration gets you authentic results pizza pal. 🍕

Lots of folks par-bake the crust...I don't because I got secretes....🐸
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 12:10:41 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #674 on: August 07, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
Lots of folks par-bake the crust...I don't because I got secretes....🐸

No one should be parbaking crust ever.  Especially not this one.

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #675 on: August 07, 2019, 11:33:56 AM »
Not even cracker crust?

It feels to me that the crust can be so dense (i.e. low hydration) that it needs a head start.

But maybe it's worth testing that again; it's been awhile since I skipped the parbake on a cracker crust.

I would certainly rather _not_ parbake, as that is an extra step that just prolongs the agony until I can wrap my fingers around a nice square slice and feel the chew.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #676 on: August 07, 2019, 08:18:47 PM »
I dunno.  This ainít the cracker forum and this ainít a cracker thread.  I have no interest in that, and no restaurant is parbaking  crust.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #677 on: August 07, 2019, 10:04:12 PM »
Not even cracker crust?

It feels to me that the crust can be so dense (i.e. low hydration) that it needs a head start.

But maybe it's worth testing that again; it's been awhile since I skipped the parbake on a cracker crust.

I would certainly rather _not_ parbake, as that is an extra step that just prolongs the agony until I can wrap my fingers around a nice square slice and feel the chew.
check out Star Tavern or Vito& Nick's.... Ya gotta have the right oven. And as I've always said, par baking is a cheat, not true to the style and create a different pizza.

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #678 on: August 07, 2019, 10:42:45 PM »
Hereís the Lahey dough using Garveyís Pizza Factory sauce.  Half was cut tavern style (for me, half was cut into slices for my Minnesota bred husband.  We were too hungry to take more pics!  Iíll post better pics in the future.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:03:22 AM by Pete-zza »
-mickey

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #679 on: August 08, 2019, 05:40:59 AM »
Looks good. Has your husband not had my favorite MN pizza, Sammy's?  :) https://www.facebook.com/SammysPizzaDowntown/
Hans