A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 195858 times)

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #680 on: August 09, 2019, 01:24:28 AM »
Looks good. Has your husband not had my favorite MN pizza, Sammy's?  :) https://www.facebook.com/SammysPizzaDowntown/

Sorry, hes from the St. Paul/Minneapolis area.  Their pizza looks good though!

Offline xechostormx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #681 on: August 09, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
I am a big fan of the sausage recipe in this thread and am about to make a 4 pound batch... the issue though is, the pizza i am emulating Sunday evening (Key Pizza's stuffed pizza from Hammond IN) uses finely ground sausage across the pie and then a delicious thick layer all around the outside with sauce and the crust folded over the top (its a square pie but pretty much the exact same crust and sauce) I plan to make the sausage like normal but then on sunday i need to turn it finelly ground so im thinking a little water and the sausage in a crock pot to get it all finely ground over a few hours and then fry it to brown and put on the pizza. any thoughts? I'm hoping ill get the same flavor and not ruin everything.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:39:04 PM by xechostormx »

Online Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #682 on: August 09, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »
I am a big fan of the sausage recipe in this thread and am about to make a 4 pound batch... the issue though is, the pizza i am emulating Sunday evening (Key Pizza's stuffed pizza from Hammond IN)

Key Pizza!  I love that place!  My family went through a Key Pizza kick for a little while back in 1984 or so, because it was the favorite pizza of a buddy of mine who introduced it to us.

uses finely ground sausage across the pie and then a delicious thick layer all around the outside with sauce and the crust folded over the top (its a square pie but pretty much the exact same crust and sauce) I plan to make the sausage like normal but then on sunday i need to turn it finelly ground so im thinking a little water and the sausage in a crock pot to get it all finely ground over a few hours and then fry it to brown and put on the pizza. any thoughts? I'm hoping ill get the same flavor and not ruin everything.

You're in luck!  The procedure for making crumbled sausage has already been figured out and it works quite well:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29780.msg298828#msg298828
One thing to note about that procedure: in step 6 where it says to break it up with your hands, a few quick pulses in the food processor is much easier, especially if you're doing 4 lbs.

Cheers!  And post pix!  Heck, make a new thread dedicated to your Key Pizza clone!  I'd love to see that!

Garvey

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:05:16 PM by Garvey »

Offline xechostormx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #683 on: August 09, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
nice. i don't know how try 1 will turn out but i will do so. They use a custom 3 half sheet foil pan, im going to make it in 2 separate half sheets. that crumbled sausage method is perfect.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:08:46 PM by xechostormx »

Online Garvey

« Reply #684 on: August 10, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »
nice. i don't know how try 1 will turn out but i will do so. They use a custom 3 half sheet foil pan, im going to make it in 2 separate half sheets. that crumbled sausage method is perfect.

Not sure I understand what you mean by the foil pans.  Looking forward to seeing your handiwork.  Cheers!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #685 on: September 15, 2019, 06:35:20 PM »
I just made Garvey sauce... boy, is it THICK!!  😲.  Reminds me of olde Shakey's sauce that they painted on with a brush.. it tastes good and will be even better once the heat gets to it.... I'm out of marjoram but with all that other herbage, will I miss it?
Made a half batch of his sauce so it's lacking only like just over a half teaspoon of marj.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Garvey

« Reply #686 on: September 15, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »
I'm out of marjoram but with all that other herbage, will I miss it?
Made a half batch of his sauce so it's lacking only like just over a half teaspoon of marj.....

Yes, it's not PF without marjoram.  I'm not kidding.  Once we hit on that particular herb, the rest of the flavor profile fell into place.  I can add marjoram and fennel to almost any other sauce recipe and transform it into PF-lite in an instant.

That said, I wouldn't make the sauce ahead.  But if you do, just add water the next day to loosen it up, since all those dried herbs sucked up a lot of the original water added when you whipped it up.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #687 on: September 15, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »
I went to the store... All they had was ground marjoram. So I added an eighth teaspoon of that into the mix.
This is not make ahead... The Blackstone she's a hot an I Maka de pizza pie now....🕺

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #688 on: September 15, 2019, 11:24:38 PM »
This pizza was good...a bit too tymey for me. Everyone has their own tastes/likes.  :chef:

Offline MontsterTX

• No offense, but St. Louis' pizza is awful.
« Reply #689 on: September 24, 2019, 11:59:28 PM »
Getting close on attempts 6 through 8. Couldn't really tell you which one this was, but it tasted pretty dang close to the pizza I grew up with in the midwest.

Some notes/differences I came away with:
- Probably a personal thing, but lighter on the sauce was preferred by everyone who tried all attempts. I ended up with A LOT of extra sauce, but we all dig the flavor.
- The thinner crusts were preferred (rolled out closer to 15")
- Could just be my oven, but the crust ate better and had better browning when I used cornmeal and baked directly on the stone rather than foil circles. Disappointing because foil is much more convenient (sliding soothly off the peel and finding the right amount of cornmeal can be a pain.)
- Haven't hit the right amount of cheese yet. The pictured pizzas were probably a little lighter on cheese than I'd like, but the previous ones were a little over.
- Sausage recipe is exactly what I remember. That fennel flavor isn't something you find anywhere else.
- Even the worst of all my attempts was better than the best pizza I've had in Texas.

Thanks for the advice and I'll keep trying to perfect it. Been trying to coincide with Bears games, but made wings this Monday night for a little break. I'll probably try again in a couple weeks.

Online Garvey

« Reply #690 on: September 25, 2019, 12:56:54 PM »
Looks really good, MontsterTX!

Lighter sauce? Yeah, I think one batch as written is enough for 2.5-3 pizzas, depending.  And it's so rich that you can thin it out to make it stretch if you have extra dough balls.  Like if i needed to make six or seven pizzas, I would probably just make a double batch and adjust as needed.

Thinner?  Check.  I also do 15", since that is exactly how big my stone is.  But I can only do that if I'm foiling, which leads to the next point.

Cornmeal vs foil? Agreed.  But cornmeal is a messy PITA.  Foil takes out all the guesswork and allows for max pizza size more easily.  And for a pizza party of multiple pizzas?  There's no way I'm *not* foiling (in fact, I cut foil into rounds of the exact dimension of my stones; not only does this help with launching but also allows me to do the final dough rolling/pressing on the foil round itself to become perfectly round).  But here's a workaround for browning: start with foil and once the dough "sets" after a few mins of baking, lift up the edge of the pizza and pull out the foil, like a magician doing the tablecloth trick.  I usually pull the foil off when I move the pizza between the two stones (from low to high positions in the oven).  The nearly-done dough hits that untouched, fully-hot second stone and browns up as needed. 

Cheese? The pix look good, but 6.5-8oz is typical, depending on preferences, etc.  I know some Chi thins are real cheese-bombs.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:01:36 PM by Garvey »

Offline MontsterTX

• No offense, but St. Louis' pizza is awful.
« Reply #691 on: September 25, 2019, 07:16:18 PM »
Thanks, Garvey. I wondered about removing the foil midway through, I'll give it a try.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #692 on: September 25, 2019, 09:08:36 PM »
 For what it's worth, I use parchment paper. It transfers the heat very well, almost as if the skin is in direct contact with the stone. After about 2 to 3 minutes or when the crust has just set, I slide the paper from underneath the pie. I don't care for a failure to launch situation. >:( I use parchment for all the different styles of pizza I make. I make 14" pies and cut the paper to a 14" square. The exposed edges of the paper make a good handle when puling the paper out from under the pie. Never had a problem all these years. Yes it does cost a little more then using foil, but not that much. I like that it does not affect the browning and crispness of the bottom. Best of all I don't have to clean up burnt leftovers from what I would use to dust the peel. I will give the foil a try just for fun, who knows I may become a convert.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:25:21 PM by nick57 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #693 on: September 25, 2019, 09:44:25 PM »
6 tablespoons of spices in 18oz of sauce.... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Online Garvey

« Reply #694 on: September 25, 2019, 09:58:34 PM »
6 tablespoons of spices in 18oz of sauce.... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

:-D

Just shy of seven TEAspoons, so yeah...

I had a feeling you'd hate on this recipe.

Online Garvey

« Reply #695 on: September 25, 2019, 10:00:17 PM »
For what it's worth, I use parchment paper. It transfers the heat very well, almost as if the skin is in direct contact with the stone. After about 2 to 3 minutes or when the crust has just set, I slide the paper from underneath the pie. I don't care for a failure to launch situation. >:( I use parchment for all the different styles of pizza I make. I make 14" pies and cut the paper to a 14" square. The exposed edges of the paper make a good handle when puling the paper out from under the pie. Never had a problem all these years. Yes it does cost a little more then using foil, but not that much. I like that it does not affect the browning and crispness of the bottom. Best of all I don't have to clean up burnt leftovers from what I would use to dust the peel. I will give the foil a try just for fun, who knows I may become a convert.

Funny you say you'd try foil after just talking me into switching to parchment paper.   :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #696 on: September 25, 2019, 10:27:18 PM »
:-D

Just shy of seven TEAspoons, so yeah...

I had a feeling you'd hate on this recipe.

My bad....teaspoons instead of tablespoons.

I simply asked if I did something wrong....

Thank you sir.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #697 on: September 26, 2019, 11:05:25 AM »
Funny you say you'd try foil after just talking me into switching to parchment paper.   :-D

I am game for trying something new. I had seen in your past posts you using foil instead of paper. Always wondered how it affected the heat transfer from the stone. Gotta give it a go out of curiosity, but most likely will stick with paper.

On a different subject, the ATK Chicago style did not re-heat very well. The bottom did not crisp up very much.

Online Garvey

« Reply #698 on: September 26, 2019, 02:40:30 PM »
I am game for trying something new. I had seen in your past posts you using foil instead of paper. Always wondered how it affected the heat transfer from the stone. Gotta give it a go out of curiosity, but most likely will stick with paper.

I arrived at foil because my go-to mom-n-pops-shop in Bloomington, IN, when I was in grad school did it that way, and because I never got into baking other things to know about the wonders of parchment paper.  Believe me, cutting foil with scissors isn't super fun (it's not bad, but paper sounds way easier).  I imagine the first time I try paper will mark the last time I ever use foil.

On a different subject, the ATK Chicago style did not re-heat very well. The bottom did not crisp up very much.

What was your reheat method?  Try a frypan on low, which heats it from the bottom up.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #699 on: September 26, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »
Take one of your cardboard pizza circles, Trace onto paper, fold backward into quarters, cut, done.

wordpress