A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 207193 times)

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #760 on: January 19, 2020, 05:07:54 PM »
This week's version was sausage and pepperoni. I added a little extra sugar (and water) to what was left of the sauce from the previous week, and my wife preferred the slightly sweeter version.

Like last time, I made a single 300g dough ball and did a 72 hour cold ferment. I think next time I will make 600g for 2 dough balls and see if I notice any difference in the finished product.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:05:35 PM by CMC »

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #761 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:58 AM »
PIZZA FACTORY SAUSAGE

Note: You must use a scale for this sausage. There is no way to accurately estimate the amount of salt needed otherwise. This recipe can be made with pre-ground pork as well. Mix ingredients as directed in Day 1, allow to rest at least 8 hours, then skip the grinding step and proceed as directed in the paddling step in Day 2 (i.e., all you need is the first step of Day 1 and last step of Day 2).

INGREDIENTS

• 2 lbs. pork shoulder cut into rough 1-inch chunks
  • 17 g kosher salt
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 Tbs fennel seed, cracked/crushed in mortar & pestle
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 3 Tbs cold white wine (cheap, dry, and Italian), to be added on Day 2

PROCEDURE [Needs 24 hrs., ideally]

DAY 1:
  • Combine all ingredients EXCEPT WINE in a large bowl and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 48 hours.
  • Place the meat grinder in the freezer overnight: the feed shaft, screw, blade, and 1/4-inch plate (the larger of the two for the KitchenAid).

DAY 2:
  • Chill meat and mixer bowl for 15-30 minutes in freezer before grinding. Grind meat at speed level 4 into the mixer bowl.  Make sure it doesn’t “smear” as it comes out: it should look clean and dry and ropey, like fresh ground hamburger.
  • In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, ADD THE WINE and beat the sausage meat on medium high speed until it becomes tacky and sticky, about one minute. Wrap in plastic wrap to get out extra air and transfer to a zipper-lock bag and seal. Sausage will keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.

Picked up some cheap Italian wine and 2lbs of pork.  I’m going to try this out this weekend.  One question though.  Do you measure out the fennel before you crack/crush or after?

-------------------------
Adapted from J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, Serious Eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/juicy-sweet-or-hot-italian-sausage.html, http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/09/the-pizza-lab-why-does-sausage-need-to-be-salty.html, and http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/04/the-burger-lab-whats-the-best-way-to-grind-beef.html
[/quote]

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #762 on: January 24, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
I went with precracked/crushed and it didn’t make a difference.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #763 on: January 24, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »
I went with precracked/crushed and it didn’t make a difference.

Asking and answering your own questions?   ;D

I measure before crushing, but I imagine if you really crush it heavily, it would need to be reduced.  (And if anyone was wondering, fennel powder is a no-go.)

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #764 on: January 24, 2020, 03:27:37 PM »
Asking and answering your own questions?   ;D

I measure before crushing, but I imagine if you really crush it heavily, it would need to be reduced.  (And if anyone was wondering, fennel powder is a no-go.)

Yup.  I figured I’d just try it out and if it made a significant difference then I’d wait and see.  Pork and spices are in the fridge now.  Tomorrow I’ll add the wine and Sunday is pizza night.  Looking forward to tryin the sausage!

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #765 on: January 24, 2020, 04:14:33 PM »
I'd measure whole spices, as well.  It can be a pain when a recipe calls for a certain amount of ground spices when you, the cook, use whole spices as a starting point.  Personally I always tend to overestimate the amount of whole spices to use for a given amount of the ground version, and I hate throwing extra away.  As a general rule of thumb, 2 grams per tsp (6 grams per Tbsp) of a ground spice is pretty close.  For example, if a recipe calls for 1 tsp of ground cumin, I'll measure 2 grams of whole cumin and then grind it in a mortar and pestle or blade-style coffee grinder.  In the case of this sausage recipe, the intent was to measure the whole spice, so weighing wasn't necessary.

I think Garvey did a good job in the way he wrote the ingredients list to convey his intention.  "2Tbs fennel seed, crushed in a mortar and pestle" has a different meaning than "2Tbs crushed fennel seed."  At least in my perception it does.

Bob, I hope you enjoy the sausage as much as I have been!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:17:17 PM by CMC »

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #766 on: January 27, 2020, 09:01:13 AM »
Sausage was great!  Tried it in my Aurelio’s style pizza last night.

Offline Meatsweats86

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #767 on: January 27, 2020, 10:17:54 AM »
Decided to try a new pizza style last night as we usually do NY or Detroit. I decided Garvey's Pizza Factory clone was what I was going with.

I did the no knead version and made the sauce exactly to the T. I make my own hot Italian, so I used that. Made dough Thursday night, bulked in fridge 24hrs and then punched it down, re balled individually and let sit 48 hrs. Dough came out to sit 2 hours at room temp before bake time  Pre heated 1/4" steel plate on bottom rack and stone on top rack for 1 hour at 500, reduced temp to 450. Cooked 4 pizza's on bottom steel for 5 mins and then transferred to top stone to get more top browning. Cook time was roughly 10 minutes with a 4-5 minute rest on a rack. Mixture of LM Mozzerella, Provolone and White cheddar was used.

I rolled the dough 14" for 2 pizza's and rolled and hand stretched the other two to get 15" pies. The crust on all four was excellent, though as you can see in the picture, I did get some bubbles. Not sure if this was over fermented or if I should have gassed the individual dough balls one more time. I use semolina on the wooden peel and it slides with ease and doesn't give any burnt taste.

I really liked everything about this recipe and would make again and again, however my family members did not. My wife hates fennel so she didn't care for the sauce and my two toddlers thought the sauce was too spicy compared to what I make for our NY pies. Going forward, this will be my go to for thin crust as it was PERFECT.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:19:24 PM by Meatsweats86 »

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #768 on: January 27, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
Thank you for the great process details.  Your end results look exactly like what I've been trying to achieve!

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #769 on: January 27, 2020, 02:28:16 PM »
....Made dough Thursday night, bulked in fridge 24hrs and re balled and let sit 48 hrs.

When you "re balled and let sit 48 hrs.", was the re balled dough in one whole piece or did you re ball the dough into the individual pizza balls?  Also, was the re balled dough left out a room temperature or refrigerated?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:38:06 PM by CookingFiend »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #770 on: January 27, 2020, 02:35:08 PM »
I really liked everything about this recipe and would make again and again, however my family members did not. My wife hates fennel so she didn't care for the sauce and my two toddlers thought the sauce was too spicy compared to what I make for our NY pies. Going forward, this will be my go to for thin crust as it was PERFECT.

Ha!  That's why there are a bazillion thin crust joints all around the Chicagoland area--multiple places in every town and neighborhood--since it's a matter of preferences.  There were many great joints where I grew up, and I loved them all, but PF was my favorite.

And don't even get me started on the Venn Diagram that is my tastes versus my wife's and the slim overlap between the two.  Luckily, my kid's tastes are way more like mine, so I've got one other foodie in the house to appreciate all the goodness in the world.

Sorry to hear you have a fennel hater in the house, which means Chicago style is mostly verboten, given its presence in almost all sausage there.  There are a few deep dish places that don't use fennel, but they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

Offline Meatsweats86

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #771 on: January 27, 2020, 03:15:20 PM »
When you "re balled and let sit 48 hrs.", was the re balled dough in one whole piece or did you re ball the dough into the individual pizza balls?  Also, was the re balled dough left out a room temperature or refrigerated?

As mentioned, I followed the no knead method. I made a batch for 4 dough balls total and I made the dough in my KA mixer Thursday night. The KA didn't mix it as much as I thought it would, so I did hand knead a few times to get it all evenly mixed. Once mixed together, I placed entire dough in a glass container, covered with wrap and placed in fridge. 24 hours later I punched it down, cut and weighed out each ball to 300g, folded them in a bit and rounded them. I then placed the 4 dough balls in separate glass containers with wrap. Placed them back in the fridge for 48 hours.  I took dough balls out of fridge and let sit at room temp 2 hours before baking.

I did look at the dough after 24hrs during the individual ferment and I punched one down and left the other 3 as is. The one I punched down rose again and could not notice a difference between the others, therefore I don't believe it was necessary to do.

I did end up with a few bubbles in my crust which I dont mind, so again I don't know if my dough came out like how the original recipe should be, but i really liked it. It had a great crisp on the bottom with a chewy middle.

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #772 on: January 27, 2020, 03:58:37 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  I will use your process for my next pizza!

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #773 on: February 04, 2020, 07:42:21 AM »
This is a 4 day cold bulk ferment.  and 2 days ball cf.  Sauce by the recipe and only mozza.  Baked for 8 minutes in gas oven.  Party cut mandatory.  This time sauce to the rim. 

Cheers,

Alex

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #774 on: March 16, 2020, 11:31:37 PM »

Try grinding all the fennel seeds into a powder instead of just cracking them and see if it goes over any better.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #775 on: March 16, 2020, 11:43:31 PM »
Use less fennel?   ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #776 on: March 16, 2020, 11:52:32 PM »
Use less fennel?   ???

That too. Some people dislike the anise-y flavor of fennel and other people just dislike biting into a seed or getting it stuck in their teeth.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #777 on: March 17, 2020, 12:02:51 AM »
I mortar pestle 50/50 fennel and anise seed.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #778 on: March 17, 2020, 12:03:31 AM »

Some people are jus plain goofy I guess.   >:D

I do keep both on hand.... Whole seeds go into homemade sausage..... The powder goes into the sauce.....I rarely do either though.   ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #779 on: March 27, 2020, 08:45:30 AM »
Question regarding sauce. Anyone have a sauce quantity per pie? I only have a 6 ounce can of paste and would like to not have to brave the grocery store for a single can. Looking forward to this one!