A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 213482 times)

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #780 on: March 27, 2020, 11:08:36 AM »
I did end up with a few bubbles in my crust which I dont mind, so again I don't know if my dough came out like how the original recipe should be, but i really liked it. It had a great crisp on the bottom with a chewy middle.

I'm getting ready to make pizza dough (sheltering-in-place in CA for the past 3 weeks) and have a few more questions for you.  I love the beautiful bottom crust shown in your pictures and have a few more questions:
What surface was used to bake your pizza - pan, stone, steel, other?
What oven rack location did you use - bottom, middle, upper?
What was the oven temperature you used?

Thanks.
-mickey

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #781 on: March 28, 2020, 08:07:25 PM »
Just got finished with a pair of the no knead versions and they were amazing.

Only thing was it was difficult to roll out. Had one blow out, patched it up, let rest and re rolled and it was just as good as the other. How are you all rolling these so round?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #782 on: March 28, 2020, 08:10:17 PM »
Question regarding sauce. Anyone have a sauce quantity per pie? I only have a 6 ounce can of paste and would like to not have to brave the grocery store for a single can. Looking forward to this one!

One 6oz can will make enough for one pie, saucy.  You could water it down and stretch it to two, though. 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #783 on: March 28, 2020, 08:24:33 PM »
       ^^^

Myself, I prefer to dilute the paste.... quite a bit, actually.

But I sure loved Shakey's in the 70s sauce... It was so thick they applied it with a wallpaper paste type brush.   8)

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #784 on: April 11, 2020, 07:17:22 AM »
Made Garveys no knead with a 4 day CF dough. Most addictive pizza Iíve ever had.  Thatís the one reason why I donít do it on a regular basis. Even my wife, who is not a big fan of pizza canít stop eating Garveys Chicago thin.  Itís plain tomato paste and mozzarella cheese. No sausage because I couldnít get the one I like.

Cheers,

Alex

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #785 on: April 11, 2020, 02:30:02 PM »
That looks delicious Alex, you nailed it!  :chef:

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:59:16 PM by CookingFiend »
-mickey

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #787 on: April 12, 2020, 05:38:35 PM »
Has anyone in the Chicago Thin - a labor of love group tried John Fazzari's method from to get the eggshell bottom crust?  I've used his dough formula but haven't tried it with the Garvey dough for thin crust.  Thanks for any experience you can share on this.  Mickey

When I make Garveys Chi thin I bulk ferment for 3/4 days and I ball and put back in the fridge the night before baking. Itís the best undercarriage I get this way. But as I mostly do Lehmanns NY and ball before CF I donít know if the difference is the recipe or the way I CF. Iím new to these techniques so I must have been using Fazzaris method unadvertedly.

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #788 on: April 12, 2020, 07:56:09 PM »
When I make Garveys Chi thin I bulk ferment for 3/4 days and I ball and put back in the fridge the night before baking. Itís the best undercarriage I get this way. But as I mostly do Lehmanns NY and ball before CF I donít know if the difference is the recipe or the way I CF. Iím new to these techniques so I must have been using Fazzaris method unadvertedly.
Your inadvertant method does seem to be exactly what John Fazzari does.  After the long CF, balling the night before baking will definitely be done with my next thin crust dough.  Thanks!  Mickey
-mickey

Offline Garvey

« Reply #789 on: April 12, 2020, 08:55:11 PM »
I usually bulk ferment and ball later, if at all.  Iíve never noticed much of a difference.  The only reason I ball at all is if weíre having a party and Iím making a ton of pizzas.  It allows me to portion out everything beforehand so itís one less thing to do on the day of baking.

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #790 on: April 13, 2020, 09:50:35 PM »
Three weeks in a row making this and I cannot wait to make another batch this weekend. Splitting the flour with half AP and half bread makes it a lot easier to roll out.

If I only wanted to make one, would I simply cut everything in half or is there something else I would need to do to the yeast??

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #791 on: April 13, 2020, 09:55:56 PM »
Three weeks in a row making this and I cannot wait to make another batch this weekend. Splitting the flour with half AP and half bread makes it a lot easier to roll out.

If I only wanted to make one, would I simply cut everything in half or is there something else I would need to do to the yeast??
.   Sorry, no can do. Please see the forum dough calculator.   ;)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #793 on: April 14, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »
Figured it out and have a single ball going for 72 no knead. Have never made a no knead dough that comes together so perfectly in comparison to the kneaded recipe.

Still need some help with rolling it out round. I've looked at pastry videos but the dough just doesn't handle the same. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #794 on: April 14, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
Best I can give is keep watching videos and practice, practice, practice.........make extra doughballs, flour is cheap!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Garvey

« Reply #795 on: April 14, 2020, 11:12:22 PM »
I find a tapered dowel style rolling pin gives me the most control.

ETA: what this guy does, starting at :38 and running to about 1:30, looks like what I do.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:25:09 AM by Garvey »

Offline pizzard

« Reply #796 on: April 15, 2020, 07:59:39 PM »
100% with him on the parchment paper method.  I do the same, but I pull it out from under the pizza after it has cooked in the oven for about three minutes to finish with a crispier crust.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #797 on: April 16, 2020, 07:35:22 AM »
Figured it out and have a single ball going for 72 no knead. Have never made a no knead dough that comes together so perfectly in comparison to the kneaded recipe.

Still need some help with rolling it out round. I've looked at pastry videos but the dough just doesn't handle the same. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I get pretty good results using a pie bag.  Roll the dough out normally until 75% of the target size, then switch to rolling just inside the edge, turning the pie bag as you go.  I prefer the plastic pie bags over the silicone ones - my silicone bag tends to "grip" my countertop which makes it difficult to turn as I roll.
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrowís work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #798 on: April 16, 2020, 05:28:22 PM »
Thank you all! Will try tomorrow and report back

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #799 on: April 17, 2020, 01:32:51 AM »

initially flatten your dough ball out with your fingers into an oval shape.....then expand that oval even further. with your rolling pin......now it gets a little tricky....work the rolling pin from the center of the oval out to the short sides....right side left side right side left side.....patience. :chef: