A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 216992 times)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #840 on: May 27, 2020, 11:56:07 AM »
two posts above...I stated Mr Garvey uses a stone.   :-\

But like he says..."what do I know?".    😝

Jus don't bake on oven rack... You'll have a mess.  🙈
Yes I saw that and liked it so that you would know I had read it. Had there been a ďlove itĒ button I might have chosen that. Later, I was taking responsibility for not having returned to the original instructions beyond making the dough itself. Looking at tomorrow dinner for the bake. Will review other info before then. Iím not typically someone who changes a recipe I hope to duplicate first time or two out of the gate. Iíve had that happen with recipes I have provided upon request here on the forum and here where I live, then get comments or photos demonstratimg they did something different and it did not come out as expected. Came out exactly as I expected  :-D

This is a most helpful and encouraging thread. I hope to have something worthy to contribute after tomorrowís bake.
-Tony

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #841 on: May 27, 2020, 03:27:10 PM »
    That's funny. And it's so true....I I've seen a lot of that right here over the years. Folks wondering what the heck happened when "I only changed 2 things, etc.!". 🙈

Look forward to seeing yours Tony.... Hope it turns out great for you.   :chef::pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #842 on: May 27, 2020, 08:31:23 PM »
Iím really excited for you to have this pizza, Tony.

Cheers!
Garvey

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #843 on: May 28, 2020, 07:19:12 PM »
Iím really excited for you to have this pizza, Tony.

Cheers!
Garvey
Thank you Garvey for all youíve done here and throughout the Chicago Style section. I hope you will believe the last mistake I made was unintentional. I even asked my wife to remind me. I cut both pizzas in wedges out of habit. Honestly, I meant to cut them into 8 strips, which I think of as party cut with two fewer cuts. ChicagoBob mentioned the name of that cut but itís another thing Iíve forgotten.

I followed crust instructions exactly. 72 hrs old, all but last 3 in fridge. I followed sauce instructions as close as I could without going to the store. Made it 3 1/2 hours before the bake. It was good mixed at room temp and very good on the finished pizza. Some omissions had to be made but if I had any of the following here I certainly would have used them. They were not willful changes. We do not keep Italian seasoning on hand. I used enough basil, oregano, and marjoram to make up the missing volume which should have made it close to how you intended. We do not keep any powdered or granulated garlic or onion. In my own quick sauces I usually sautť garlic and sometimes onion in oil then add the oil (only) to the tomato product. Did not do that tonight.

I should point out Iíve never had Pizza Factory pizza. What caught my eye wrt this thread originally, in addition to its longevity and popularity, is how close many of the pizzas here look to one we have locally I would like to duplicate. The place is called Dimmagioís and even if I were to successfully duplicate it we would still order from there occasionally.

I used tiles on rack 1/3 from top of oven. Hour preheat at 500, dropped to 450 a couple minutes before baking first of two. Although it came out more cracker-like than I imagined, I put that on not managing the bake as well as I could have. I didnít really know what I was looking/watching for. Lastly, I could not entirely bury the raw sausage. I put some cheese down, then sausage, then rest of cheese.

We enjoyed this pizza and thank you for your help and dedication to it. I am open to suggestions. Otherwise, I will try again with the same formulation and see if I can do a better job of baking. Felt funny to use a rolling pin on pizza after not having done it for a long time!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:22:07 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline Garvey

« Reply #844 on: May 28, 2020, 08:35:45 PM »
Nice pie!  Looks and sounds like it really turned out true to type.

I do the same thing with the sausage: maybe a third of the cheese, then sausage, then the rest of the cheese.  I want it to be partly peeking out.

Thanks for the field report.

Btw, the strips-with-the-single-transversal cut has been called the Chesdan cut, among other things.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:39:31 PM by Garvey »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #845 on: May 28, 2020, 08:58:14 PM »

Looks great T.... I'm glad it turned out for you!   :chef:
Your thickness factor looks spot on. 🍕🍻   

I also do the cheese layering.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #846 on: May 28, 2020, 09:13:35 PM »

Looks great T.... I'm glad it turned out for you!   :chef:
Your thickness factor looks spot on. 🍕🍻   

I also do the cheese layering.
Thanks Bob! I came out with 598 g out of the mixer and tried for 14Ē so it was dead on. As I said, I didnít really know what I was looking for.
-Tony

Offline Garvey

« Reply #847 on: May 28, 2020, 11:15:45 PM »
This dough recipe is fairly forgiving and flexible, where you can manage your bake (and cooling) procedures to emphasize crispiness or floppiness.  Both are completely acceptable.  Personally, I like the *very bottom* to crisp up enough to be able to hold a small square without it flopping too much yet still have enough softness above that to have that Chi thin dough vibeólike not a crunchity throughout the entire crust but only on the bottom.  But really just about any way, as long as itís cooked through, is good on this one.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:22:25 PM by Garvey »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #848 on: May 28, 2020, 11:37:18 PM »
This dough recipe is fairly forgiving and flexible, where you can manage your bake (and cooling) procedures to emphasize crispiness or floppiness.  Both are completely acceptable.  Personally, I like the *very bottom* to crisp up enough to be able to hold a small square without it flopping too much yet still have enough softness above that to have that Chi thin dough vibeólike not a crunchity throughout the entire crust but only on the bottom.  But really just about any way, as long as itís cooked through, is good on this one.
I like your description and think our tastes are similar. I did not take a photo of the bottom but it was much as you describe, maybe a touch farther. I had little to no flop on wedge cuts. Bottom was crisp toasty brown. I agree it is versatile. I was skeptical of 1% salt but did not miss the additional 1.25% I would typically use. That sauce is a great pairing for this style. There are many pizzas I would not like it on but it was great for this. I would have liked a small raised edge around the outside - Dimaghioís and another place here making another style have a dry outer crist with some flour clinging to it. Between using a rolling pin and a pastry brush to take off excess flour I eliminated both possibilities. I had fun though. Used every bit of that sauce on just those 2 pizzas!
-Tony

Offline Garvey

« Reply #849 on: May 28, 2020, 11:59:26 PM »
For the uninitiated, the paste base is scary, but you sound like an old hand at this.  And I agree that this is absolutely not a versatile sauce: itís really only meant for this pizza specifically.  I donít even like pairing it with other Chi thins Iíve made.  Itís really about the complete package.  My buddy and co-creator of this recipe (or co-reverse-engineer) will use this leftover sauce in spaghetti.  Iíll respectfully decline on that one.

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #850 on: June 01, 2020, 09:35:00 AM »
Garvey,

I love the "scary" thing about the sauce LOL.  That's what I felt the first time I made it.  Thanks again mate for this most winning recipe.  I think there's a group of Garvey's chi thin radicals in this forum, and I'm among them. 

Alex

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #851 on: June 09, 2020, 08:34:33 PM »
About the sauce: I love it, but have some people that think it's a little too much. Any other way to get a homogeneous sauce with a paste like use, but not so much the mouth feel?

Offline Garvey

« Reply #852 on: June 09, 2020, 11:41:06 PM »
About the sauce: I love it, but have some people that think it's a little too much. Any other way to get a homogeneous sauce with a paste like use, but not so much the mouth feel?

For the haters, just thin it out with more water.

(Lots of purťe these days is just paste and water as described on the fine print on the label.)

I think a lot of mom and pop shops use paste for Chi thin because it takes up less storage space.  It also gives great flavor and mouthfeel to stand up to the inevitable sausage (the #1 topping in a landslide, not even close) and the mounds of cheese.  It also acts as ballast to soak up liquids released from the meats and veggies put on a pie.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:45:22 PM by Garvey »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #853 on: June 11, 2020, 11:20:51 AM »
For the haters, just thin it out with more water.

(Lots of purťe these days is just paste and water as described on the fine print on the label.)

I think a lot of mom and pop shops use paste for Chi thin because it takes up less storage space.  It also gives great flavor and mouthfeel to stand up to the inevitable sausage (the #1 topping in a landslide, not even close) and the mounds of cheese.  It also acts as ballast to soak up liquids released from the meats and veggies put on a pie.

As much as I like the dough recipe, the sauce recipe has been even better for my pizzas.  I have made some tweaks to it to suit my personal taste, but I think it is an excellent starting point for a sauce for any Midwestern/Cracker/Laminated/Chicago-thin style pizza.

One of the tweaks I made was substituting a small can of tomato sauce for 1 of the cans of Contadina tomato paste (btw Garvey, I am reformed now on preferring Contadina vs other paste brands  :) ).  It still leaves the sauce having a thicker/pastier consistency, but you don't need as much water.  Play around with it.  It has enough ingredients to be flexible.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #854 on: June 11, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »
One of the tweaks I made was substituting a small can of tomato sauce for 1 of the cans of Contadina tomato paste (btw Garvey, I am reformed now on preferring Contadina vs other paste brands  :) ).  It still leaves the sauce having a thicker/pastier consistency, but you don't need as much water.  Play around with it.  It has enough ingredients to be flexible.

Nice move, Mad Ernie.

I will also note that if you make the sauce way too far ahead of time (or using leftovers, etc.), the dried herbs will suck out too much water as they rehydrate, so you may need to thin it down again anyway. 

Offline nanometric

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #855 on: June 30, 2020, 11:51:10 AM »
Still loving this dough and sauce!

Offline Garvey

« Reply #856 on: July 05, 2020, 03:08:41 PM »
Still love this recipe.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #857 on: July 05, 2020, 03:15:28 PM »
Still love this recipe.
Garvey,

You have touched a lot of members with your recipe and your guidance. So, I just made your thread a sticky. Congratulations.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #858 on: July 05, 2020, 03:33:45 PM »
Still love this recipe.
     That one is another beauty.....wow!  :o     And that crust is just perfect man. 💰

Congrats on your well deserved sticky Garvey!!  :chef:

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #859 on: July 05, 2020, 04:01:40 PM »
Garvey,

You have touched a lot of members with your recipe and your guidance. So, I just made your thread a sticky. Congratulations.

Peter
I'm a relatively new member.  What is a "sticky"?
-mickey
-mickey