A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 198866 times)

Offline xechostormx

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #640 on: April 14, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »
Hi Garvey, I just wanted to thank you for this crust and sauce recipe. I came here looking for the NWI / chicago suburbs tavern pie, specifically my favorite crust in the whole world, House of Pizza in Hammond, Indiana and imagine my surprise when you actually called it out by name in this thread!

That being said, I hadn't realized the dough would need so much proofing initially, so I am only going to have about 26hrs on it for this first attempt. I am currently helping it along a bit out of the fridge,  as its starting to smell right, but dinner is in 3 hours so I'm just going to have to go for it.

I made a batch of your sausage yesterday and a small test batch of sauce, and I do have to say, I am super excited about it. I usually use the recipe for La Rosa's sauce (a great resturaunt owned by a great family on Indianapolis Blvd, Hammond from 1979 until 2012) but the Pizza Factory one is so unique compared to that I am super excited to try it.

I will be using a 1/4 baking steel in an electric oven on the middle  upper rack, set to bake at 500 for an hour and then turned to broil high once the pizza goes in. I will then let the broiler cool down before doing pizza #2  This seems to produce pretty good results from my research but this will be my first attempt.

I cant get Scamorza cheese out here so I am going to be trying a mix of 50% kraft low moisture whole milk mozzarella, 30% meijer brand unsmoked provolone and 20% cracker barrel sharp white cheddar today, to do something a little different.  I know of a couple places that used half whole milk and half part skim, a few that used grande mozz or a blend like this and who knows what Langel's uses... so Im hoping to get close to one of them.

I hope it comes out half as good as the beauties you guys have put up and thanks again for all your hard work, just the thought of a taste of home has me super excited.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:26:28 PM by xechostormx »

Offline xechostormx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #641 on: April 14, 2019, 08:21:05 PM »
here are my results. crust was kindof trash due to no rise, no gumline at all, flavors almost there but just not... this is all 100% because it didnt proof long enough and i had to pull it and quick rise it... basically a tavern tasting cracker crust. For my oven and this particular crust, i had to move position alot on the sausage to get it to setup right , for my 2nd pepperoni, i just put the steel 1 from the bottom at 550 with no broiler at all on parchment for 4 minutes and bare steel for 6, came out beautiful. i imagine the crust would have browned better if it had had the time to set up. considering I used a blend, the cheese didnt really stand out, going to go half whole fresh, half skim mozz next time. It was a 6/10 (10/10 for indy) kids and wife thought it was the best pizza ever :) heres some pics.

forgot to add the finished pepperoni but thats not worth another post.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:27:33 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #642 on: April 15, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
boy i like the looks of that.....nice job!!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #643 on: April 16, 2019, 11:23:33 PM »
Garvey, is this the place? There are a few by that name but I don't think you mentioned which location you're referring to.

No, it was a one-off mom-n-pop shop, defunct since 1990 or so.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #644 on: June 09, 2019, 10:27:33 PM »
No, it was a one-off mom-n-pop shop, defunct since 1990 or so.

Hey Garvey... quick question... I know this was 7 years ago that you posted this, LOL... have you ever tried making a spicy version of this?? Like with either some cayenne or crushed chilis??

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #645 on: June 09, 2019, 11:07:39 PM »
Hey Garvey... quick question... I know this was 7 years ago that you posted this, LOL... have you ever tried making a spicy version of this?? Like with either some cayenne or crushed chilis??

Go with Aleppo flakes, more subtle, better flavor, adjust to taste and heat!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Garvey

« Reply #646 on: June 10, 2019, 12:05:18 PM »
I know this was 7 years ago that you posted this, LOL...

True, but it was 11 years old when I posted it.  I've been making this exact recipe for 18 years now.   :D

have you ever tried making a spicy version of this?? Like with either some cayenne or crushed chilis??

I spice at the plate.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #647 on: June 10, 2019, 02:00:13 PM »
True, but it was 11 years old when I posted it.  I've been making this exact recipe for 18 years now.   :D

I spice at the plate.

Ok, just thought maybe you had tried it... crushed chillies were always my dad's go-to heat source (he was from Calabria, so always used Calabrian chillies) so I may go that route! Thanks so much man for the recipe.. can't wait to try it out!! :D

Offline adamdm4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #648 on: June 10, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »
Hi Garvey,

Wanted to let you know your recipe has another satisfied "customer."  The pizza place I was trying to replicate is one I remember from 1995, but it seems like it was awfully similar to your Pizza Factory.

Still got some work to do on perfecting the shape and bake time, but the result was pretty great regardless.

Cheers,
Adam

Online Garvey

« Reply #649 on: June 11, 2019, 04:50:56 AM »
Looks beautiful, Adam!  Glad you like it.

I use a French style rolling pin: a dowel with tapered ends.  For me, that gave me way more control and helped me get rounder dough.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #650 on: June 11, 2019, 01:44:22 PM »
I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GP8LQ1/?tag=pmak-20

And I can't find it right now but somewhere on this forum there's tips from Lydia on how to roll out perfect circles.

I also tend to size my dough balls about 5% more larger than what I need and then use a 14" cutter pan to trace around to give me a perfect circle.

Offline zaza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #651 on: July 12, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
Hey guys I tried uploading my last pizza pictures here three times but I dont see my reply.  I am sorry if those 3 posts show up at once. I am not sure what the issue is.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:18:49 PM by zaza »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #652 on: July 12, 2019, 05:20:13 PM »
Schultz..... I see nothing!!   :o

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #653 on: July 17, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
Wow! Tried the full Pizza Factory recipe today. Only my second attempt at a Chicago Thin Crust. I had prepared 2 dough balls the other day and made 1 today (after 2 days) and will bake the other tomorrow after 3. It was already great after 2 days...I am sure tomorrow will be even better. I am going to go ahead and make 4 more dough balls today for this weekend. The sauce is also the Pizza Factory recipe... a winning combo for sure. Thanks Garvey! It's a keeper. I preheated my Stone at 550 for an hour and then dropped to 450 to cook. Cooked 8 minutes. The Cheese was about 8oz total. 6oz Grande WMM and 2oz Grande 50/50.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:12:04 PM by spacelooper »

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #654 on: July 18, 2019, 12:16:27 PM »
Today's pizza was day 3 of the Pizza Factory Dough recipe. a 14" with Mushroom and Onions. Yum. Cheese was a mixture of Grande WMM and a small amount of Grande 50/50. Preheat Stone at 550 on bottom rack for an hour. Lower temp to 450 and baked for 8 minutes. The sauce was also the Pizza Factory sauce recipe.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #655 on: July 18, 2019, 01:16:30 PM »

Tasty.... :drool:

Online Garvey

« Reply #656 on: July 18, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »
100% nailed it, Spacelooper.

Get some sausage on there, tho! :)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #657 on: July 18, 2019, 05:28:17 PM »
Very nice thins!!  :drool:
the proof is in the pizza

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #658 on: July 20, 2019, 07:30:33 PM »
Made a couple today....best ones to date. A Sausage.. half chunks, half crumbles (a al Pizza King) . A cheese pizza and a Mushroom on all, Onion on half, pepperoni on half. They were all a hit. Will be fine tuning these for a bit. :)

Online Garvey

« Reply #659 on: July 20, 2019, 07:47:39 PM »
Nice work!

What fine tuning are you looking at?

I'd suggest putting all meats under the cheese.  Or put down a third of the cheese then the meats and then the rest of the cheese.