A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 193421 times)

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #680 on: August 09, 2019, 01:24:28 AM »
Looks good. Has your husband not had my favorite MN pizza, Sammy's?  :) https://www.facebook.com/SammysPizzaDowntown/

Sorry, hes from the St. Paul/Minneapolis area.  Their pizza looks good though!

Offline xechostormx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #681 on: August 09, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
I am a big fan of the sausage recipe in this thread and am about to make a 4 pound batch... the issue though is, the pizza i am emulating Sunday evening (Key Pizza's stuffed pizza from Hammond IN) uses finely ground sausage across the pie and then a delicious thick layer all around the outside with sauce and the crust folded over the top (its a square pie but pretty much the exact same crust and sauce) I plan to make the sausage like normal but then on sunday i need to turn it finelly ground so im thinking a little water and the sausage in a crock pot to get it all finely ground over a few hours and then fry it to brown and put on the pizza. any thoughts? I'm hoping ill get the same flavor and not ruin everything.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:39:04 PM by xechostormx »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #682 on: August 09, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »
I am a big fan of the sausage recipe in this thread and am about to make a 4 pound batch... the issue though is, the pizza i am emulating Sunday evening (Key Pizza's stuffed pizza from Hammond IN)

Key Pizza!  I love that place!  My family went through a Key Pizza kick for a little while back in 1984 or so, because it was the favorite pizza of a buddy of mine who introduced it to us.

uses finely ground sausage across the pie and then a delicious thick layer all around the outside with sauce and the crust folded over the top (its a square pie but pretty much the exact same crust and sauce) I plan to make the sausage like normal but then on sunday i need to turn it finelly ground so im thinking a little water and the sausage in a crock pot to get it all finely ground over a few hours and then fry it to brown and put on the pizza. any thoughts? I'm hoping ill get the same flavor and not ruin everything.

You're in luck!  The procedure for making crumbled sausage has already been figured out and it works quite well:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29780.msg298828#msg298828
One thing to note about that procedure: in step 6 where it says to break it up with your hands, a few quick pulses in the food processor is much easier, especially if you're doing 4 lbs.

Cheers!  And post pix!  Heck, make a new thread dedicated to your Key Pizza clone!  I'd love to see that!

Garvey

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:05:16 PM by Garvey »

Offline xechostormx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #683 on: August 09, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
nice. i don't know how try 1 will turn out but i will do so. They use a custom 3 half sheet foil pan, im going to make it in 2 separate half sheets. that crumbled sausage method is perfect.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:08:46 PM by xechostormx »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #684 on: August 10, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »
nice. i don't know how try 1 will turn out but i will do so. They use a custom 3 half sheet foil pan, im going to make it in 2 separate half sheets. that crumbled sausage method is perfect.

Not sure I understand what you mean by the foil pans.  Looking forward to seeing your handiwork.  Cheers!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T