A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 199130 times)

CDNpielover and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #720 on: November 07, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
Nice cheese crispies fiend!!   :drool: :chef:

Thanks Bob.  I used whole milk mozzarella (wmm), some parm, some pecorino and some provolone for a total of 6 ounces per pie.  Should I try combing the wmm with some fresh mozzarella and/or adding a few more ounces of cheese?  Any suggestions?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #721 on: November 07, 2019, 05:52:24 PM »
Two words.... Gouda Love. 😊
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #722 on: November 08, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »
I used whole milk mozzarella (wmm), some parm, some pecorino and some provolone for a total of 6 ounces per pie.  Should I try combing the wmm with some fresh mozzarella and/or adding a few more ounces of cheese?  Any suggestions?

Amounts and types of cheese is always to taste, IMO.  Personally, I like the mozz base and treat additional cheese types more like toppings than substitutes.  Neutral cheeses like (unsmoked) gouda or gruyere or chihuahua would be the exception, for me, since they're really close to mozz in melting properties, etc., so I'd sub those by weight, personally.  But if I'm throwing on something unusual like the the fresh mozz you mentioned, I'd probably treat it as a topping that is added and not subbed-for.  YMMV.

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #723 on: November 09, 2019, 06:42:33 AM »
FInally I cooked pizzas with Garveys recipe. I wasn’t home because I am redoing the kitchen so I used my mother’s. No baking steel but perforated pan. Made 5 pies with mozzarella, pepperoni and green olives.  I wasn’t sure about How they’d like the sauce since we’re pretty used to more NY style pizza sauce.

My parents are really old school when coming to pizza so that was a real test. Hungry adults and several kids made this pizza a success. The five pizzas simply vanished. My dad was happy as a child wolfing down on the pepperoni slices. He even very discretely told me “son, your pizza is better than your mums” lol. And the party cut was a real winner.

A word on the sauce: it’s really tasty and strong for someone used to simple high quality crushed tomato with oregano and garlic. I don’t know if I’d have it every Friday, but I sure will cook Garveys pizza every month.

And on the rolling pin, well I felt awkward stretching with it at first, kind of reluctant since it took me a while to hand stretch like the you tube pizzaiolos and that’s what I enjoy the most when I bake. By the second pie I was past any bias.

No pictures because there was a lot of work but I’ll definitely repeat it when I’m back in my kitchen with the baking steel. Thanks Garvey for your generosity to share and for all the members reporting on their cooking experiences.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #724 on: November 09, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
FInally I cooked pizzas with Garveys recipe. I wasn’t home because I am redoing the kitchen so I used my mother’s. No baking steel but perforated pan. Made 5 pies with mozzarella, pepperoni and green olives.  I wasn’t sure about How they’d like the sauce since we’re pretty used to more NY style pizza sauce.

My parents are really old school when coming to pizza so that was a real test. Hungry adults and several kids made this pizza a success. The five pizzas simply vanished. My dad was happy as a child wolfing down on the pepperoni slices. He even very discretely told me “son, your pizza is better than your mums” lol. And the party cut was a real winner.

A word on the sauce: it’s really tasty and strong for someone used to simple high quality crushed tomato with oregano and garlic. I don’t know if I’d have it every Friday, but I sure will cook Garveys pizza every month.

And on the rolling pin, well I felt awkward stretching with it at first, kind of reluctant since it took me a while to hand stretch like the you tube pizzaiolos and that’s what I enjoy the most when I bake. By the second pie I was past any bias.

No pictures because there was a lot of work but I’ll definitely repeat it when I’m back in my kitchen with the baking steel. Thanks Garvey for your generosity to share and for all the members reporting on their cooking experiences.

Glad you liked it and thanks for the field report!  Chicago thin really is really "a different animal" than NY.  The dough, the sauce, the cut--everything. 

Did you hand stretch these or did you use a rolling pin?  It's meant to be rolled but I imagine that hand stretching would work just fine.  The high oil content should make it fairly easy to roll.

Too bad there are no pictures, but making 5 pies is a ton of work already!

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #725 on: November 09, 2019, 06:52:46 PM »
I did the rolling ping thing Chicago style lol,

Alex

Offline schone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #726 on: November 11, 2019, 04:37:32 PM »
the recipe for La Rosa's sauce

Excuse the thread hijack, but is there a La Rosa's pizza sauce recipe somewhere??? Would you be able to share it? I love that sauce!

Offline Garvey

« Reply #727 on: November 12, 2019, 07:47:05 AM »
Excuse the thread hijack, but is there a La Rosa's pizza sauce recipe somewhere??? Would you be able to share it? I love that sauce!

It looks like you're searching for Cincinnati chain pizza La Rosa's, according to your other post:  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59864.msg600477#msg600477
That's not the same place mentioned by xechostormx, which was a one-off, completely unrelated shop in NW Indiana.  Sorry. 

Offline schone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #728 on: November 16, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
It looks like you're searching for Cincinnati chain pizza La Rosa's, according to your other post:  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59864.msg600477#msg600477
That's not the same place mentioned by xechostormx, which was a one-off, completely unrelated shop in NW Indiana.  Sorry.

No problem and thank you for responding and explaining! :)

Offline Pizza Journey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #729 on: December 01, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »
I made this (dough, sauce, and sausage) and man it was good! What really works with this recipe is the combo of the crunchy crust and robust sauce. Very satisfying to bite into... crunch followed by the tangy sauce. Nice. Sausage was great. Next time I will add some red pepper flakes to spice it up even more.

Very easy to follow instructions and I will definitely be making this again. Great job Garvey. Here are some photos!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #730 on: December 01, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »
I made this (dough, sauce, and sausage) and man it was good! What really works with this recipe is the combo of the crunchy crust and robust sauce. Very satisfying to bite into... crunch followed by the tangy sauce. Nice. Sausage was great. Next time I will add some red pepper flakes to spice it up even more.

Very easy to follow instructions and I will definitely be making this again. Great job Garvey. Here are some photos!

Killer pie right there dude... You nailed it!!  :chef::drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #731 on: December 02, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »

I'm sold.  That pie just looks amazing!!  Definitely the next style I attempt to tackle!.  Just a beautiful pizza!  Well done!

P.S. Rereading the thread, I just noticed I said about the same thing back in early November :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:52:57 PM by TravisNTexas »
Cheers,
Travis

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #732 on: December 02, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »

Looks fantastic!  What cheese(s) did you use.

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #733 on: December 03, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »
Okay, so kids and a grandkid are coming Saturday for pizza, and it will be Garvey's recipe this time!  I plan on making the dough tomorrow evening in order to get 72 hours in before baking on Saturday evening.  I'll do the sauce recipe as well (may reduce the fenel a bit in deference to the wife and grandson).  Can't do the sausage recipe this time because I made about 5 lbs of Italian sausage a week or two ago and have it vac bagged in 1/2 lb portions in the freezer, but will definitely give it a try too soon.

I no longer have a stone, so will be cooking on a steel.  I have been through the thread again as completely as possible, but have not seen anyone using a steel.  Anybody tried that or can anybody offer advice for this style using a steel?

Nevermind the above question.  Search function is my friend :)  What's worse is that CookingFiend posted about cooking on a steel about 10 posts above and it's a post that I commented on early last month!  :-[
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:05:50 PM by TravisNTexas »
Cheers,
Travis

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #734 on: December 03, 2019, 05:47:38 PM »
Okay, so kids and a grandkid are coming Saturday for pizza, and it will be Garvey's recipe this time!  I plan on making the dough tomorrow evening in order to get 72 hours in before baking on Saturday evening.  I'll do the sauce recipe as well (may reduce the fenel a bit in deference to the wife and grandson).  Can't do the sausage recipe this time because I made about 5 lbs of Italian sausage a week or two ago and have it vac bagged in 1/2 lb portions in the freezer, but will definitely give it a try too soon.

I no longer have a stone, so will be cooking on a steel.  I have been through the thread again as completely as possible, but have not seen anyone using a steel.  Anybody tried that or can anybody offer advice for this style using a steel?

Nevermind the above question.  Search function is my friend :)  What's worse is that CookingFiend posted about cooking on a steel about 10 posts above and it's a post that I commented on early last month!  :-[

Don't feel bad.  We all have those "pizza-thread  ;)" moments.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #735 on: December 04, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »
I'll do the sauce recipe as well (may reduce the fennel a bit in deference to the wife and grandson). 

They don't like fennel?  That's the key flavor for this style of pizza and its sausage. 

Can't do the sausage recipe this time because I made about 5 lbs of Italian sausage a week or two ago and have it vac bagged in 1/2 lb portions in the freezer, but will definitely give it a try too soon.

So you'll be using your own Italian sausage?  Awesome!  Got a recipe to share?

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #736 on: December 04, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »
They don't like fennel?  That's the key flavor for this style of pizza and its sausage. 

So you'll be using your own Italian sausage?  Awesome!  Got a recipe to share?

Cheers,
Garvey

Not that they don't like fennel at all, just that 1 tablespoon per pound may be a bit much for them.  Would not bother me at all, since I love fennel :)

Yes, I have recipes for Italian sausage.  Not really sure which one I used for this last batch, but the pizzas made with it turned out great.   I think I used this one and just quadrupled it.  It has about half the fennel of your recipe.  Your recipe looks better to me, so will give it a go next time.

Ingredients
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
    1 ˝ tsp coarsely ground fennel seed
    1 pound ground pork (20-25% fat by weight)
    1 tsp finely minced garlic
    1 tsp dry white wine
    Extra-virgin olive oil
Directions
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
    In a large bowl, combine salt, fennel seed and red-pepper flakes. Add pork to the spice mixture along with the garlic, and wine. Using your hands, mix thoroughly for 1 full minute, until the pork begins to appear tacky and sticks to the palm of your hand.

I actually used the KA to mix it though, and then I vac bagged it all. (except for what I used for pizzas that night!)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:55:10 AM by TravisNTexas »
Cheers,
Travis

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #737 on: December 04, 2019, 04:12:34 PM »
Just to jump in, I  have mentioned before, I like using 50/50 fennel and anise seed, and toast them a titch then just a little grind to knock down the seedy thing a bit with a few short bursts in a coffee grinder or mortar/pestle, not toooo fine!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline mbetter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #738 on: December 05, 2019, 01:14:18 PM »
Garvey, have you experimented with fennel pollen in your sausage? I just got some and added a pinch to some already made sausage (broadly similar recipe to yours, ) and it really seemed to get me closer to that Russo's (59th and St.Louis, closed) sausage I'm looking for.

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #739 on: December 05, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »
Garvey, have you experimented with fennel pollen in your sausage? I just got some and added a pinch to some already made sausage (broadly similar recipe to yours, ) and it really seemed to get me closer to that Russo's (59th and St.Louis, closed) sausage I'm looking for.

mbetter - where did you get your fennel pollen?  Kinda pricey.  Worth it? How would you say it differs, in aroma and flavor, from finely ground fennel seeds?

Some info. found here....https://www.spiceography.com/fennel-pollen-substitute/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 02:32:34 PM by CookingFiend »