A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 213484 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #820 on: May 20, 2020, 10:35:56 PM »
Since this pizza doesn't really get any spring in the oven, has anyone tried it on parchment on an oven rack or on an upturned sheet tray? The steel probably has a lot to do with the crispness, but just a thought.

A steel isn't necessary, in fact, I would recommend against it's use. Just a regular ole cheap stone is fine. If parchment paper aids your launch, it does work well on stone or sheet pan.... Simply pull the paper out from under the pizza after several minutes.  I use a cutter pan for this type of pizza... I'm not sure how the bake would turn out using a sheet pan. I would probably preheat it.
Good luck... Garveys recipe is very popular and creates a real nice pizza.   :pizza:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:39:54 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #821 on: May 20, 2020, 11:03:28 PM »
Since this pizza doesn't really get any spring in the oven, has anyone tried it on parchment on an oven rack or on an upturned sheet tray? The steel probably has a lot to do with the crispness, but just a thought.
My Chicago thins start baking on a round pizza screen launched onto my preheated steel.  After a few minutes, the bottom crust is firm enough so the screen can be pulled out from under the pizza.  The for the remaining baking time, the bottom crust has direct contact with the steel to get nice and crispy.

Before I had pizza screens I used parchment paper.  At 500ºF+, I recommend trimming the parchment so there’s no exposed parchment to burn during cooking. Also, after few minutes, you can pull away the parchment paper so the bottom of the pizza can have direct contact with whatever baking surface you have.
-mickey
-mickey

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #822 on: May 20, 2020, 11:12:19 PM »
I don't like a "nice and crispy" Chicago thin pizza.
I guess that's why I said a baking steel is not necessary/advisable.... But the good thing about home pizza making is that you can tweak things and make it what YOU like.  🍻🔥🍕

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #823 on: May 21, 2020, 10:17:42 AM »

I guess that's why I said a baking steel is not necessary/advisable.... But the good thing about home pizza making is that you can tweak things and make it what YOU like.  🍻🔥🍕

I interpretted Mister PKM to have meant the ‘steel’ of a cutter pan. I would think such a pan would reduce browning rather than enhance it. I do not have a cutter pan and will probably go on tile. Only other choice I have is a well worn, 30 year old round aluminum pan with a small square lip around it. First things first. I need to start a dough for this.
-Tony

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #824 on: May 21, 2020, 07:21:54 PM »
Softy, eh?  :-*
-mickey

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #825 on: May 21, 2020, 10:37:45 PM »
Softy, eh?  :-*

Well, that's what I grew up making at local pizza joints in the 70s... So yeah, I suppose so.  I've also always liked the slightly firmer browned spotted thins... especially the beer dough ones.
I just associate "nice and crispy" with the cracker style...
Yet places like Vito's an Nick's.... That's thin an crispy but I wouldn't call that cracker style.... It's all sorta subjective I suppose....
In the end, it's pizza and that's all good!  🤗🍕🍻😎

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #826 on: May 22, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »
Ah, sorry for the confusion. I meant a baking steel. I just hate heating the entire kitchen for so long it's unnecessary. May try with an upturned cookie sheet and parchment to see how it works. I also don't like it completely cracker like, but pliable and crisp. Stay tuned for results.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #827 on: May 22, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »
Ah, sorry for the confusion. I meant a baking steel. I just hate heating the entire kitchen for so long it's unnecessary. May try with an upturned cookie sheet and parchment to see how it works. I also don't like it completely cracker like, but pliable and crisp. Stay tuned for results.
It was me who misunderstood. Sorry, PKM.
-Tony

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #828 on: May 22, 2020, 08:51:10 PM »
No worries!

Experiment is in. Pizza looks amazing, but flops immediately. Looks like a fail with the upturned tray. Need to check out the pizza fail thread to make myself feel better

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #829 on: May 22, 2020, 10:12:13 PM »
No worries!

Experiment is in. Pizza looks amazing, but flops immediately. Looks like a fail with the upturned tray. Need to check out the pizza fail thread to make myself feel better
.  Having "flop", in my book, is not a fail!  I think it's just a "type" of Chicago/ Midwest pizza. Just about every pizzeria in my suburb back in the 70s made thin crust pizza that was soft crust and foldable. That was a feature that most folks enjoyed being able to fold over a nice juicy square an munch down!!   :drool:

Offline nanometric

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #830 on: May 24, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
My best cracker yet: super crisp, tender as a biscuit—even the edges. I was stoked! But mainly, my wife was stoked 'cuz it's her absolute favorite style. And my sensitive-toothed Dad will be stoked with the lack of chewiness, once I get back East to make him one. Thanks for the great recipe, Garvey.

Details: Crisco was the fat, 24hr CF.

Bake: 3/8" steel (bottom rack) + 1/2" stone (top rack) preheated for 1 hr @500 °F. Dough rolled with a pin, docked, sauced and baked on steel for 3.5 min.; out of oven, topped, then on the stone for ~4.5 min. Oven setting kept @500 °F throughout.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #831 on: May 25, 2020, 03:08:07 PM »
.  Having "flop", in my book, is not a fail!  I think it's just a "type" of Chicago/ Midwest pizza. Just about every pizzeria in my suburb back in the 70s made thin crust pizza that was soft crust and foldable. That was a feature that most folks enjoyed being able to fold over a nice juicy square an munch down!!   :drool:

Yeah, in St. Paul/Minneapolis, our thin crust was also usually soft rather than crispy.  but like you said Bob, it's all pizza and it's all good!   :chef:

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #832 on: May 25, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »
I finally made this dough for later in the week and am looking forward to trying it. My choices are the pan pictured below, or no pan on stone. I prefer a slightly crisp toast like color on the bottom. Pan or stone? Thanks in advance.

-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #833 on: May 25, 2020, 08:12:34 PM »
Both, pan until it sets, then onto the stone.
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #834 on: May 25, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »
Both, pan until it sets, then onto the stone.
Thanks, Hans. Good advice.
-Tony

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #835 on: May 25, 2020, 08:49:13 PM »
I finally made this dough for later in the week and am looking forward to trying it. My choices are the pan pictured below, or no pan on stone. I prefer a slightly crisp toast like color on the bottom. Pan or stone? Thanks in advance.

Bob would use the pan and Garvey would use the stone.  🤗🍕🍻

Try'em both, separately T and see what you prefer.

Hans recommendation is great for a Garvey pizza.

This style is so versatile ; and I even like a crisp crackery one once in awhile, for that I use the Blackstone.   ;)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #836 on: May 25, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »

No pan.  Use a stone.

I mean, make it once as written, right out of the gate, before making changes like pans and such.

But what do I know?

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #837 on: May 26, 2020, 07:59:58 AM »

No pan.  Use a stone.I mean, make it once as written, right out of the gate, before making changes like pans and such.But what do I know?

That was my intent but I understood a cutter pan was part of the original instructions.

EDIT I see now the original instructions say:
Roll out your 300 g dough ball to 14", which is just under the size of a typical pizza stone. The pizza will cook directly on the stone--no cutter pan or screen or anything.”

It’s the many posts by others using pans that confused me. I will be happier without a pan. I can’t risk damaging that beautiful one I have.  :-D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:03:54 AM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #838 on: May 26, 2020, 11:04:32 AM »
It’s the many posts by others using pans that confused me. 

:-D

I imagine the percentage of people who try it as written BEFORE they start beeboppin' and scatttin' all over it with their own jazz is pretty small.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #839 on: May 27, 2020, 12:31:53 AM »

That was my intent but I understood a cutter pan was part of the original instructions.

EDIT I see now the original instructions say:
Roll out your 300 g dough ball to 14", which is just under the size of a typical pizza stone. The pizza will cook directly on the stone--no cutter pan or screen or anything.”

It’s the many posts by others using pans that confused me. I will be happier without a pan. I can’t risk damaging that beautiful one I have.  :-D

two posts above...I stated Mr Garvey uses a stone.   :-\

But like he says..."what do I know?".    😝

Jus don't bake on oven rack... You'll have a mess.  🙈