A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: General Mills ny recipe  (Read 941 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
General Mills ny recipe
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
A new pizza joint opened awhile back in town and this is the recipe the rep gave them to use.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:12:23 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
Re: General Mills ny recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
I always thought that professionals paid a great deal of attention to temperatures?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:11:44 PM by rparker »
Embrace the challenge. Do not accept difficult as impossible. Enjoy the journey. Become your own pizza memory.

(Please assume all appropriate genre identification disclaimers as rendered.)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:28:46 PM »
what i have seen from theses reps they do not know a whole lot. not including the ones that are on staff for the purpose of teaching.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 06:28:55 PM »
 Seems about right to me.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 06:53:25 PM »
I have used that formula, it worked pretty well.
Hans

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:05:44 PM »
I messed with my formulation with AT for a year and landed on that same hydration and oil.

what i have seen from theses reps they do not know a whole lot. not including the ones that are on staff for the purpose of teaching.
I put my marketing hat on and thought about the whole 'easier introductory instructions = more sales' factor thing.
Embrace the challenge. Do not accept difficult as impossible. Enjoy the journey. Become your own pizza memory.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »
 We use harvest king for our dough and I think it is really good flour. This pizza place had a nice dough and since the owner wasn't a pizza guy probably used the formula as it was given to him. I thought the members might like to see it. Why 4 percent oil? Is that to tenderize the strong flour?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
We use harvest king for our dough and I think it is really good flour. This pizza place had a nice dough and since the owner wasn't a pizza guy probably used the formula as it was given to him. I thought the members might like to see it. Why 4 percent oil? Is that to tenderize the strong flour?
Larry,

4% oil seems to me to be a bit on the high side for a NY style dough but at that level it should have some tenderizing effect on the finished crust and crumb. Depending on the type of oil used, it might also add some flavor to the crust.

It is also possible that the amount of oil in the dough relates to the flour used and the hydration value called for in the recipe. I would estimate that the rated absorption value for the All Trumps flour is around 62%, give or take a percent or two. And the hydration value specified in the recipe is 56%. Normally, as a starting point, you want the sum of the hydration value and the amount of oil to approach the rated absorption value of the flour used. In this case, that would be 60%. That is a value that should work in a commercial setting. But, if needed, the amounts of oil and water can be adjusted to get the best results.

Peter

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »
What Peter said is exactly the result I got on my last oil sanity test. I used something like 1% oil and replaced the missing 3% with water for almost the same effective hydration. The result was far too tough for my tastes using my abusive mix regimen.

I have gotten away with dropping it down to 3% and increasing water to 57% before. I do not recall what made me revert back to 56% and 4%.

Offline Basquerider

• I Love Pizza!
General Mills ny recipe
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
Anyone,

Will this last beyond 24 hours?  Thanks!

Tom
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:36:56 PM by Basquerider »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »
Anyone,

Will this last beyond 24 hours?  Thanks!

Tom
Tom,

Nothing is said in the instructions about finished dough temperature but if we assume that it is about 80-85 degrees F for storage in a a commercial cooler, I would say no to your question. You would need far less than 0.75% IDY, or a lot lower finished dough temperature (which would mean using very cold water), or some combination of both.

Peter

Offline Basquerider

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  I had a feeling that was the case, but, as a relative beginner I felt I needed to ask the question!

Tom

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 04:00:59 PM »
Larry, do you happen to have the same marketing material as that, but for Full Strength? Just curious to see how that formula compares from the same source.

Roy

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »
 yes i have a few cards from my rep i will take a picture of all of them

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 12:38:11 AM »
Thanks, Larry.

There was a link to a PDF in the thread Ryan pointed to. I saw what they were suggesting using Full Strength(FS) for a pan pizza. 53% water and 6% oil adding up to an "effective hydration" of 59%. Even if I could do a direct compare, I went the wrong way with mine by going up 1.5% and 1% on successive tries. Funny thing, the first try I did it straight up like the All Trumps. That one never felt bad., but the fridge wigged out on me. It never realy developed well and was tough as a result. I assumed some of t was because it needed more water. doh!!! I'll see how the extra mixing time works out.

Roy

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 12:37:47 AM »
A new pizza joint opened awhile back in town and this is the recipe the rep gave them to use.

seems right, the oil and yeast is a bit high for my liking but within the style.  In the end, it's handling.. take the same recipe, so many other factors with mixing, proof time/temp.  and opening.  I'm sure the rep wasn't opening the doughs or using his hands.  Two people using this placard formulation can make two totally different pizzas.  That guy beating his dough like a mofo is only doing it cos his boss is a d.ic.k. and puts too much yeast in the dough.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:41:37 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline bregent

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
> the oil and yeast is a bit high for my liking but within the style.

I made this last week and was the first time I used anywhere near that much oil. I followed the formula exactly with the exception of substituting GrainCraft Power for AT. The dough was much more difficult to open compared to my usual 62-63% hydration but baked up nicely and the top rim browned better than usual. Do you think that was due to all of the oil or the lower hydration?

In the end, the crust was too soft and tender for me. I mixed up another dough at 58% hydration and 3% oil (still a lot) and will bake it tomorrow.

Bob

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 04:51:37 AM »
Looks good . Looking forward to you next yeast bake.

Offline bregent

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »
I baked another two pies at 58% hydration and 3% oil.  The first was baked at 500F on a screen with no stone. The second was baked on a screen first, then transferred to a stone at 4 minutes - I had intended on transferring at 2 minutes but lost track of the time. The results between the first and second pie were similar.
I liked the crust better on this batch as it had a bit more tug but could still use a tad more. I'm going to go to 59% hydration and 2% oil and see what happens. Not sure why I am getting all of the bubbles - haven't had that problem before. At this point I've strayed way off of the subject recipe - especially having not even used GM flour :)

Bob

wordpress