A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Baby steps with NY style in a KettlePizza  (Read 300 times)

Offline martyackerman

• I Love Pizza!
Baby steps with NY style in a KettlePizza
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
Today felt like spring here in Ohio and I couldn't let it pass without breaking out the KettlePizza for a crack at an NY style pie. It wasn't my first attempt, but it was my first that didn't involve a major mistake (dough stuck to peel, not stretched enough, etc).  I used Kenji's dough recipe which I know is hardly a favorite around here, but I was only cold fermenting for about 18 hrs so I figured the high sugar and yeast content wouldn't hurt. I made it in a food processor and it did come out pretty warm, though.

In terms of the pie itself: 2/3 cup of sauce, 6oz of cheese, and some basil. Cooked for about 6 minutes in the Serious Eats KettlePizza at about 600 (on the built-in thermometer; don't have an IR quite yet so I don't know the stone temp), which came from a chimney full of coals and a nice sized chunk of split wood in the back. It turned out great, at least for a novice attempt. A little darker than I'd like on one side, but decent crumb and a pretty nice crackle in the crust. Dough flavor was fine but it was clear I didn't extract much flavor based on the short fermentation time. Toppings were spot on.

I'm trying to get better at getting better, though, and making intentional changes based on what works and what doesn't. So here's a question: if I could change one variable for next time, what do you suggest? Lower sugar content? Longer ferment? Different cooking temp?  Trying to study the effect of each change so I can start dialing in a great NY pie with my setup.

Offline Josh123

Re: Baby steps with NY style in a KettlePizza
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:21:33 AM »
NY pizza doesn't have long ferment times. When you stretch, use your thumb as a guide along the edge to get that rim down a bit. It's too puffy for NY pizza.

wordpress