A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Secret Pizza - why is it so special?  (Read 842 times)

Offline nitrous

• I Love Pizza!
Secret Pizza - why is it so special?
« on: September 16, 2016, 01:05:56 PM »
Hi Guys,
Maybe the first question should be "IS this pizza something special?"

I've been to Las Vegas many times over the years - always staying at the Cosmopolitan. 

I'm not a pizza aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but there is something comforting about a fresh slice of good pizza but what is it about a slice from "The Secret Pizza" shop in Vegas that makes it so good?

In keeping with the topic format, the pizza shop is literally a hole in the wall down a straight passageway located on the 3rd floor restaurant complex near the Chandelier at the West Towers.

The place is open from 1130AM until 0400AM.  At various times, the place has a long line up of people collecting their pizza by the pie or by the slice.  There are a few seats along the walls in this place but it really is largely takeout style.

The staff are personable and extremely efficient.  Prices are ok for Vegas ie $5.50 per slice for single topping. 
They have a huge selection of various offerings - all fresh and ready to eat.

The slices are kept warm until purchased, at which time they go into the lower over for a minute or two.

I have to say that I got in a bit early on my recent visit so killed time getting a couple slices before my room was ready!  Quite the sight with my bags in tow, waiting in line for my first slices of the trip!

If the review isn't clear - I love this pizza!

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Re: Secret Pizza - why is it so special?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 01:36:20 PM »
Hi Guys,
Maybe the first question should be "IS this pizza something special?"

I've been to Las Vegas many times over the years - always staying at the Cosmopolitan. 

I'm not a pizza aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but there is something comforting about a fresh slice of good pizza but what is it about a slice from "The Secret Pizza" shop in Vegas that makes it so good?

In keeping with the topic format, the pizza shop is literally a hole in the wall down a straight passageway located on the 3rd floor restaurant complex near the Chandelier at the West Towers.

The place is open from 1130AM until 0400AM.  At various times, the place has a long line up of people collecting their pizza by the pie or by the slice.  There are a few seats along the walls in this place but it really is largely takeout style.

The staff are personable and extremely efficient.  Prices are ok for Vegas ie $5.50 per slice for single topping. 
They have a huge selection of various offerings - all fresh and ready to eat.

The slices are kept warm until purchased, at which time they go into the lower over for a minute or two.

I have to say that I got in a bit early on my recent visit so killed time getting a couple slices before my room was ready!  Quite the sight with my bags in tow, waiting in line for my first slices of the trip!

If the review isn't clear - I love this pizza!

I like Secret Pizza very much!  Even though the pepperoni slices can be greasy, they're greasy goodness.  Also, great hangover food after a long night on the town.  I'll be going to Vegas in a few weeks and I've already planned on grabbing a slice or two there.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:47:26 PM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
  • Always trying to improve my dough.
Carl

Offline nitrous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 02:11:59 PM »
Thanks Guys,
Any thoughts on what makes the pizza so good?
I suspect that 'quality ingredients' play a large role but there is something in that crust and sauce.
Any ideas?

Doug

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 05:11:50 PM »
I like Secret Pizza but I have to say I like Five50 in the Aria better.
BTW...the only place with longer lines in the Cosmopolitan is Egg Slut. Never heard of it. Didn't have it. But it is always mobbed.
Chaz

Offline Aup

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »
Here is an interview with on of the original guys to set it up. Looks like it is the sourdough starter they use.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/food/vegas-eats-secret-pizza-inside-the-cosmopolitan-video/

Anyone know how to get ahold of an old starter or is there a subforum here that discuss this aspect of dough leavening?

Thanks,
Erich :)

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
Secret Pizza?  Never heard of it.

Offline StateofMind

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
I always stop there when I'm in town for the Pizza Expo. Their white pie is amazing.

wordpress