A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: anyone making homemade mozzarella?  (Read 701 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
anyone making homemade mozzarella?
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
I read chau's old thread where he documented the process of making good, homemade mozz from curd. He seemed excited about the end product but estimated it took 2-3 hours to make 2 pounds of good cheese. Eventually, in reply to subsequent forum questions, chau noted he'd not made mozz for a couple of years. 

There haven't been recent threads on the subject (that I could find with the search function), is there a general conclusion it's not worth the effort?

tia,
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:12:47 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: anyone making homemade mozzarella?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »

There haven't been recent threads on the subject (that I could find with the search function), is there a general conclusion it's not worth the effort?

tia,

I did it a few times.  A bit of fun, but also a PITA.  My personal conclusion was that it was not worth the effort.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »
Man I've been wanting to try it after reading about Rosario's Deli in Astoria, NY; where Rosario makes it fresh every day and slices it on the Hobart. This is why I want to try it, but without a slicer I'm doubting my ability to get these awesome thin slices. Not really looking to make a wet fior di latte, more so for NYish pies.

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:56:28 PM »
Start out easy.  Get some rennet, citric acid and lipase and you can make fresh mozz from milk in about a half hour.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
Start out easy.  Get some rennet, citric acid and lipase and you can make fresh mozz from milk in about a half hour.

thanks jkb! in one of the early forum threads, a lot of people expressed dissatisfaction with the end product using that method unless raw milk was used...and even then, it sounded dicey.

Have you tried it?
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »
thanks jkb! in one of the early forum threads, a lot of people expressed dissatisfaction with the end product using that method unless raw milk was used...and even then, it sounded dicey.

Have you tried it?

It will be better than any fresh mozz you can get in a supermarket. Probably not as good as Di Palo's.  Get yourself some good milk.  You should be able to find Battenkill Valley milk.  Their milk is predominately jersey.  Get the cream on top if you can find it.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »
in our town, we have an italian deli that makes their own mozz everyday. About ten years ago they were written up in the ny times for one of the best fresh mozz in the ny area (including nyc). It's about $9/lb.  So that's my competition!

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »

Agree, once you get the hang of it, it's like brushing your teeth.

Offline communist

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
 Cheese making is an art and science.  I have made mozzarella at home with raw milk from an Amish neighbor. It is a whole day affair.  Citric acid is a shortcut.  The flavor in fresh mozzarella is developed when the curds are ripened and acidified with a bacteria culture.  This is slow and sensitive - the smell of a ripening curd is intoxicating!  Making mozzarella is fun.  Making really good mozzarella is artisanal work.  I did not have the time or talent.  When you find an artisan you will taste the difference.  Years ago, I would FedEx mozzarella in from Texas.  Paula from the Mozzarella Company made superb cheeses.  I hope others are still out there.

Offline Pepperonnie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 12:49:06 AM »
I make my own Mozzarella and many other cheese's plus I make my own pepperoni.

wordpress