Author Topic: Craig's NY Square  (Read 12333 times)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
Re: Craig's NY Square
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2016, 08:40:37 AM »
As I mentioned above after having their spicy slice a few times now I really like it and would like to be able to duplicate it. It's kind of a hot mess but so good.
Hans

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2016, 09:14:53 AM »
As I mentioned above after having their spicy slice a few times now I really like it and would like to be able to duplicate it. It's kind of a hot mess but so good.

I think Serious Eats did a recipe recently.

Offline millions

« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »

It's my favorite as well. I thought I posted the results of my attempt to duplicate in this thread, based on a combination of Craig's and Kenji's methods, but it seems it got moved to the Detroit thread for some reason. It was fairly close.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21992.msg434528#msg434528

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2016, 12:30:50 AM »
One of my favorite squares and the inspiration for my pepperoni square. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. Kenji's recipe is off especially when it comes to the cheese.

This will get you really close.

60% hydration dough pressed out in an olive oiled pan and left to rise undisturbed until very well proofed. Sliced FRESH mozzarella cheese layed on the dough. A cooked far diavola sauce. Use nice plum tomatoes, ROASTED garlic, a pinch of red pepper flakes and a good amount of sugar; princes sauce has a little heat, some sweet, no marinara or raw garlic taste. A certain brand of hormel pepperoni (super important; It curls up and bakes a certain way. The uncooked product is deceiving...) and then a healthy sprinkle of pec on top of it all before baking for about 12 minutes with a final crisp on the stone

This will give you princes exact pie.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2016, 06:59:39 AM »
One of my favorite squares and the inspiration for my pepperoni square. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. Kenji's recipe is off especially when it comes to the cheese.

This will get you really close.

60% hydration dough pressed out in an olive oiled pan and left to rise undisturbed until very well proofed. Sliced FRESH mozzarella cheese layed on the dough. A cooked far diavola sauce. Use nice plum tomatoes, ROASTED garlic, a pinch of red pepper flakes and a good amount of sugar; princes sauce has a little heat, some sweet, no marinara or raw garlic taste. A certain brand of hormel pepperoni (super important; It curls up and bakes a certain way. The uncooked product is deceiving...) and then a healthy sprinkle of pec on top of it all before baking for about 12 minutes with a final crisp on the stone

This will give you princes exact pie.

Thanks Lou!
Hans

Offline guyskr

« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2016, 05:03:32 PM »
Hi craig, sorry if I'm asking something that you wrote about before, but I couldn't find this info.
I really want to make this kind of pizza, but lake a few pieces of information.
1. The dough making process. still 4 hours at room temp? how much time in bulk and how much in balls?
2. oven temp and baking time without the cheese.
3. how do you keep yourself from eating the whole pizza by yourself? It looks so yummy! :-D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »
1) No bulk. I don't bulk unless the time is >12 hours, and even then often not if not >24 hours.

2) The temp is ~585F. I have never timed it though. Just until it's set.

3) Thanks, I could do it, but it's a pretty big pizza so might not be the best idea  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline guyskr

« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2016, 06:07:28 PM »
Thank you for your fast answers!
And that is the problem with pizza, the mind wants what the body can't :)

Now i only need to buy one of those pans and throw some pizza into my ggf micro oven  :pizza:

Oh and I almost forget, do you just use a basic sauce like in your neapolitan pies, or do you do something different? I think about trying something similar to what tony gemignani, adding two/three kinds of tomatoes.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:10:46 PM by guyskr »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2016, 07:03:49 PM »
Mine is pretty basic Sclafani crushed with salt, pepper, and oregano. I'm not cooking it ahead of time.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline guyskr

« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2016, 10:47:14 AM »
Last annoying question (I hope), what is the height of your pan? The best one I found online has an height of 2.4 inches, which seems kind of a lot.
Do you think it will have any kind of affect? Maybe it will make the pizza hard to get out?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2016, 11:12:32 AM »
I'm using standard half sheet pans. I think they are 1" high. You should have no difficulty finding half sheet pans. It doesn't get much more common than that.

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2016, 04:35:58 PM »
Question on making this type of pizza and other pizzas cooked in / on a pan.

Do you dock this dough?  Is there a general rule when you should or shouldn't dock the dough?

Also from an earlier post it sounded like part of your workflow was to parbake the crust, but it looked like you put the sauce on the raw dough baked for a little bit, then put the rest of the toppings on?
Is this correct or did you parbake the dough with nothing, then put the sauce and all the toppings on?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:38:55 PM by Trossite »

Offline justazaguy

• ZAZAZAZAZA
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2016, 10:21:23 PM »
Craig - this recipe was great. Really appreciate it - we loved it! I couldn't believe how much oil the dough was able to soak up. I was pretty liberal in my oil use pre par-bake, and post par-bake, and it sucked it all up both times. Could've used even more! Can't wait to make it again. See pics below.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #188 on: Yesterday at 08:48:50 AM »
Craig - this recipe was great. Really appreciate it - we loved it! I couldn't believe how much oil the dough was able to soak up. I was pretty liberal in my oil use pre par-bake, and post par-bake, and it sucked it all up both times. Could've used even more! Can't wait to make it again. See pics below.

Your pizza looks awesome!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #189 on: Yesterday at 08:52:27 AM »
Question on making this type of pizza and other pizzas cooked in / on a pan.

Do you dock this dough?  Is there a general rule when you should or shouldn't dock the dough?

Also from an earlier post it sounded like part of your workflow was to parbake the crust, but it looked like you put the sauce on the raw dough baked for a little bit, then put the rest of the toppings on?
Is this correct or did you parbake the dough with nothing, then put the sauce and all the toppings on?

Sorry I missed this question before.

No, I don't dock the dough. I don't know if there is a rule of thumb. Personally, the only time I dock a dough is when I positivly don't want a bubble such as when making bar style pizza.

I wouldn't call the crust par-baked but rather a 2-stage bake. I put some sauce on it to hold it down a little and prevent excess bubbling. It also adds a caramelly richness to the finished pizza from the heavily baked and browned sauce.