Author Topic: Papa John's Pan  (Read 279 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Papa John's Pan
« on: October 30, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »
Any intel on this?  Different dough formulation? Dough ball weight?

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Bisquick

Re: Papa John's Pan
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
I'm glad someone mentioned Papa John's pan pizza.  I have no intel on it but I do have an opinion of it and a criticism of Papa John's in general.  Let me begin by saying that I love Papa John's but I'm rather unimpressed with their pan pizza. To be fair, the one time I tried it, it had been in the fridge for about ten hours because Papa John's is closed when I get off work so I had to order it before I went in, but even so, I thought it should have been better than it was. While I'm on the subject of Papa John's, I should mention that I've also only had their thin crust one time, (it was fresh) which leads me to my next point. That point being my one criticism of Papa John's, which is that it seems to me (and I could be wrong but I don't think I am) that Papa John's makes little effort with their thin crust and pan pizza doughs other than to change the texture. Compare this to Pizza Hut, which regularly offers two crusts with vastly different flavors. To me Pizza Hut's traditional crust seems to have a more mild flavor and is more of a dry crust, versus their pan pizza which is loaded with fat and is very yeasty (and quite tasty I might add).  Also, does anyone remember their Big New Yorker pizza?  I wish they still sold that, because I've never had a pizza flavored like that. It was a very unique flavor, yeasty but not loaded with fat like their pan pizza is, and it had a perfect texture for the flavor it had. My point is that the different crusts and styles of pizza that Pizza Hut produces actually have different flavor compounds, and in my opinion this is where Papa John's completely fails with their crust variations.  It seems to me that Papa John's aims to produce the exact same flavor compounds in each style of crust they produce, so why bother trying anything but their regular crust, which is good but gets old after a while? So assuming that I'm correct regarding their methods, I don't really understand why Papa John's is so afraid to experiment with "limited time" variations, such as a New York or Neapolitan style crust with a genuinely unique flavor.  I think Papa John's is successful enough to afford to take the risk.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:01:02 PM by Bisquick »