A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anchoring the cheese  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Colorado Sam

Anchoring the cheese
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »
Thanks to this site, I've been perfecting a lot of different parts of making pizzas (pictures coming soon once it gets perfect), but I have one problem which I haven't really heard discussed yet.

When I'm eating a slice and I get down to the edge, the cheese tends to slide off  :'(.  I would imaging that I could solve the problem when I'm dressing the skin by not pushing the sauce so close to the edge, then putting a little border of cheese sitting directly on the crust.  I'm thinking this would cause the cheese to attach to the crust "anchoring" it on.  Is this what most of you guys do?

Is there any other way to accomplish this?  I usually spread the sauce as evenly as I can, but would leaving little patches and streaks of crust uncovered by sauce (or at least very thinly covered by sauce) help anchor the cheese throughout the pie?

What do you guys do?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Anchoring the cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
Thanks to this site, I've been perfecting a lot of different parts of making pizzas (pictures coming soon once it gets perfect)

Looking forward to it. It will be the first picture of a perfect pizza ever posted  :-D  Seriously, don't feel like your pizza has to be perfect to show.

I guess I've never considered cheese sliding a fault? It is just something that happens. I think your best bet is to not sauce all the way to the edge and then use an even cover of cheese out to the edge. I don't think you want extra cheese at the edge - just even coverage across the pie.  I don't think leaving patches unsauced on the the pie will do much for you. As it bakes, the oil and water will eventually cover the entire pie. At the edge, it will drain down to the center as the cornice rises, so the cheese should stick best there.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
With a neapolitan pie it is almost impossible to just pick up a slice and have everything stay on top. I think that's all just part of how pizza goes.

Offline Colorado Sam

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
Over my last few pies, I have been trying several techniques and TXCraig1 was dead-on. Of everything I tried, letting a few strands of cheese extend onto the rim prevents the dreaded cheese slide.  As a bonus, the browned cheese on the crust also gives the crust a more interesting appearance and texture.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T