A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Big Pizzas With a Blackstone  (Read 549 times)

Offline themadhatter106

• I Love Pizza!
Big Pizzas With a Blackstone
« on: April 29, 2016, 01:21:35 AM »
So I have used my Blackstone oven a lot. I have made over 200 16" pizzas in that oven and I still have problems with landing such large pizzas in the right spot. When I get it in the right spot its prefect and cooks great. But if I push it too far to the back of the oven the pizza hangs off the edge and then makes a big mess as I rotate the hanging part to the front and it gets stuck on the stainless steel portion.

I was thinking of modding my Blackstone to have a lip on 1/4 or 1/3 of the circle so that way I will rotate that part to the back when I want to land a pizza and it will be easy to get it as far back as possible without going off the edge.

I could just weld on a strip of sheet metal. It would be easy since its steel. Any idea if this would affect the cooking of the pizza? Is this a good idea?

Offline alconnell

Re: Big Pizzas With a Blackstone
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 06:59:55 AM »
i don't think that would hurt anything but I can see it being difficult to manage- stopping in the right spot and what happens if you overshoot the launch?  In any case, what I do, which many purists hate, is use a screen for the large pizzas, then as soon as the crust is cooked enough, "brick" the pizza by removing the screen.  Usually when I make large pies, it is for a gathering and production speed is important so I can have several made up on the screens and cook them one by one.  Of course, any smaller pies are launched directly on the stone. 

Offline texmex

Re: Big Pizzas With a Blackstone
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »
Do you switch the motor off at launch for a few seconds to get good positioning? I won't be trying any 16 inch pies anytime soon, because I  was visioning exactly what you are describing. It's like some pizza eating trap along the edges there!

Your solution does seem viable, but you might end up with a strip of blonder crust just where your buffer mod would be.  I doubt that it would effect the bake in any negative way.
Reesa