A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Steve’s and Bob’s “Maiden Bakes” in their vintage Airstream Mobile WFO trailer  (Read 14008 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
This was another one of my doughs made with Pizzeria flour and the Ischia starter.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
This was my third dough ball made with Ischia starter and Rinforzato flour that the Ischia starter was only acitvated after it sat out all week.  I never tasted a pizza made with a starter that made a sourdough that the crumb was more sour.  That is why I tried this.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
Norma

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Very Vwery cool !! when do you hit the road Steve? Norrma Stve is lucky to have the Dough Doctress as a friend sure you will have the oven and recipe dielaed in in no time!!
Bestof Luck steve!!
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member

Offline pizza dr

very cool Norma

Thanks for sharing!  Looks like you guys had a great time.  Pizzas are incredible.  My brother has an airstream that looks just like that one...hmmmmmmm >:D

Scot

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Amazing airstream, very nice job turning into a mini-pizzeria!

Great shots, Norma!  Your pies looked great, any thoughts on the flavor?  Too sour, just right?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
very cool Norma

Thanks for sharing!  Looks like you guys had a great time.  Pizzas are incredible.  My brother has an airstream that looks just like that one...hmmmmmmm >:D

Scot

Scot,

We all did have a great time.  :) I see your wheels turning if your brother has an Airstream that just looks like Steve’s and Bob’s.  Their journey went from locating an Airstream in NY, to even taking the Airstream off the frame, (to be able to reinforce it) to ripping everything out of the inside.  It was quite a journey for Steve and Bob. Maybe Steve wants to tell more about the build.

Norma

Amazing airstream, very nice job turning into a mini-pizzeria!

Great shots, Norma!  Your pies looked great, any thoughts on the flavor?  Too sour, just right?

Brian,

The WFO in the Airstream was just being tried out yesterday and more is needed to be learned when to put more wood in the oven.  My bakes really weren’t that high in temperature.  My last pie that I made with the starter that was a lot more on the sour side was interesting in the taste.  It wasn’t really sour, but I could taste the sourdough taste a lot more.  I prefer the sourdough notes of a starter that is fed more in a pizza.  For some reason, which I don’t know why, my doughs balls didn’t perform as I wanted when they were opened.  I don’t know if it was the heat in the Airstream or if I didn’t make the doughs right.  Steve didn’t have any problems with his dough balls.

Norma

Offline Ev

@Norma- Thanks for introducing my project to the forum. If we ever come up with a name for the thing, I'll start a thread in the "Shop Talk" section, complete with all the construction photos along the way. We still have some work to do before we hit the road, but it's mostly done.
I must say though, I am pleased with the first test bake, as far as my own dough is concerned. I also thought yours and Bobs pies tasted great too.
When I die, I want my remains scattered all over Disney World. Also, I don't want to be cremated!

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Now that looks cool. Looks like there is a lot of room in there to move around and breath.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Very very cool! Pies look awesome!

Just curious, how hot did it get inside (the prep area, not the oven)?
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member

Colonel_Klink,

Just curious, how hot did it get inside (the prep area, not the oven)?

I am not sure how hot it was in the Airstream, but it was hot.  There is an exhaust fan that Steve and Bob installed and another vent in the ceiling.  It wasn't really much hotter right in front of the oven.  There weren't any other fans going though.  It was very hot and humid in our area yesterday with no air going outside.  Maybe Steve can guess just how hot it was.

Norma

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Very cool!  Good luck Steve & Bob
Deb

Offline Ev

These are the three pies I baked.
When I die, I want my remains scattered all over Disney World. Also, I don't want to be cremated!

Offline Ev

And a couple of Norma auditioning for a job  :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
And a couple of Norma auditioning for a job  :-D

Steve,

Lol, OMG those pictures!  The last one I was really hot, but guess the beers didn't help.  :o  How did I do auditioning for the job as helper?   >:D :angel:  Will I make the cut?  I didn't even know I was auditioning.  You and Bob sure gave me the greatest surprise in seeing how the WFO baked the first time.  ;D

Your Ischia pies were delicious and so was that Vermont pepperoni!   ;D  We even forgot to try out Bob's Aioli.  

Norma
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:30:11 AM by norma427 »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Steve, Norma. Those pies are beautiful - especially those pepperoni pies - they are both drop-dead gorgeous in every way!

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
This was my third dough ball made with Ischia starter and Rinforzato flour that the Ischia starter was only acitvated after it sat out all week.  I never tasted a pizza made with a starter that made a sourdough that the crumb was more sour.  That is why I tried this.

Norma, how much Ischia culture did you add (%) to the pie that was so sour? What was the fermentation time and temp?

Thanks,
Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage