A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Steve’s and Bob’s “Maiden Bakes” in their vintage Airstream Mobile WFO trailer  (Read 14000 times)

Offline scott123

Bad at math but great at pizza. Sounds like a good tradeoff to me.  :-D

I've posited, in the past, that, in order to be a truly great chef/pizzamaker, one can't be that good at math/too left brained.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
I've posited, in the past, that, in order to be a truly great chef/pizzamaker, one can't be that good at math/too left brained.

Scott,

I don’t know if I am left brained or right brained, but why I can’t do math is because when I went to school (years ago) there were only three courses to take.  They were Academic, Commercial and General.  I took the commercial course because I thought I wanted to be a secretary.  I learned book keeping, short hand, typing (on a manual typewriter) and stuff like that.  Only Academic students took harder math courses.  You must remember I graduated almost 50 years ago.  I never had the need for harder math until I came upon this forum.  Darn this forum, I had to give out my secrets I can’t do math.  :-D

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

I think that Craig and Bill/SFNM disprove that theory. They are Rennaisance men.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline scott123

I think that Craig and Bill/SFNM disprove that theory. They are Rennaisance men.

Peter

I am in no way attempting to diminish Craig and Bill's pizzamaking godliness, but would you really classify either of them as being incredibly left brain dominant?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:09:18 PM by scott123 »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
I am in no way attempting to diminish Craig and Bill's pizzamaking godliness, but would you really classify either of them as being incredibly left brain dominant?
I think that they are ambicranial.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

scott123,

The word "incredibly" is a powerful descriptor--one that is likely to only apply to a small number of people. That word might apply to the left-brain side of member November but I have not seen enough of his pizza work to see whether the-right side is as dominant in that specialty. But, from exchanges that he and I have had, there seems to be little that he cannot do.

Many of the articles I have read on the subject seem to want to put people in one category or the other (left brain or right brain), whereas it seemed to me that some people should have a strong presence in both categories. In that sense, I believe that Craig and Bill are far above average. As for Norma, I have always said that she is a natural when it comes to pizza making. Where she needs help from time to time is in the math, so as long as there is someone willing to help her with the math, she should be fine.

Peter

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Sometimes my left brain calls my right brain a sissy girl, and things go downhill from there.  My right brain thinks my left brain is an emotionally immature teenager.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
....I hate it when it does that.   :-\
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon

For instance, I love the science that Alton Brown shares, but, imo, most of his recipes leave a lot to be desired.

I think Alton Brown's science leaves a lot to be desired, so this doesn't do much to help your argument.  I think he's entertaining, but his version of science is very middle school, and his mantras (such as "no uni-taskers except for a fire extinguisher") are often irrational.  I can count dozens of uni-taskers in his possession like scissors, knife, fork, spoon, colander, coffee maker, stock pot, sauté pan, oven, refrigerator, and salt well, just to list a few.  I haven't yet seen the episode where he uses his refrigerator to strain pasta.

Anyway, the left-brain/right-brain debate is largely over.  People who do not use a nearly equal portion of both cerebral hemispheres are actually considered abnormal.  What mediates human behavior to a much greater extent is the corpus callosum: the structure that connects the two hemispheres.  Without it you become Rain Man.  With it shortened you become Einstein.  With it taking on various shapes you become varying levels of creative in your perception of reality.  Your left and right hemispheres are just "taking notes" for different kinds of experiences, but unless these notes are cross-referenced, nothing about the world will make sense to you.

Consider the simple fact that the invention of math was in fact an invention; otherwise known as a creative act.

- red.november

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
See, I told you they are ambicranial.

Man, talk about a thread drifting off topic!
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pizza dr

Anyway, the left-brain/right-brain debate is largely over.  People who do not use a nearly equal portion of both cerebral hemispheres are actually considered abnormal.  What mediates human behavior to a much greater extent is the corpus callosum: the structure that connects the two hemispheres.  Without it you become Rain Man.  With it shortened you become Einstein.  With it taking on various shapes you become varying levels of creative in your perception of reality.  Your left and right hemispheres are just "taking notes" for different kinds of experiences, but unless these notes are cross-referenced, nothing about the world will make sense to you.

Consider the simple fact that the invention of math was in fact an invention; otherwise known as a creative act.

- red.november

true dat

Offline PizzaDiFiore

That looks amazing, I want an Airstream Pizzeria!!!   Just back from vacation and it seems I missed all the fun!

Offline pizzaneer

That looks amazing, I want an Airstream Pizzeria!!!   Just back from vacation and it seems I missed all the fun!

Pleeze, pleeze get us back on topic!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Pleeze, pleeze get us back on topic!

......the left brain said to the right brain...... :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

......the left brain said to the right brain...... :-D

Then Right Brain said to Left,
"Honey, you know you're lost.  Just stop and ask for directions!  And I have to pee again!"

*Sigh* I'm having one of those days. Nothing I say today will be on topic. I think I'm bacon-deprived.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

I can't wait to see the pics from the construction!  I'd love to do this in Baltimore!

T.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
I can't wait to see the pics from the construction!  I'd love to do this in Baltimore!

T.

Terry,

I will post for Steve until he gets back.  He went on a trip with his partner Bob.

Norma

wordpress